Walking and weight loss

124»

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    jshupe71 wrote: »
    Walking does work! I have been walking since November 1, 2017 and have lost 117.2 pounds. I only have 53 to go.
    That's amazing. I've been exercising and dieting since November and only lost about 46 lbs!
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    jshupe71 wrote: »
    Walking does work! I have been walking since November 1, 2017 and have lost 117.2 pounds. I only have 53 to go.
    That's amazing. I've been exercising and dieting since November and only lost about 46 lbs!

comparison is the thief of joy. 46 pounds is not "only" just sayin

Thank you. It would be nice to have lost more though! :)
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    If it makes you feel better I'm down about 20 since the year started so...
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Tq43 wrote: »
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
    I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
    According to map my walk...I burn anything between 270-400 kcal on those walks.
    How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.
    CICO seems lost on this lady!
    Maybe I'm wrong....what do.ye think ???

Ridiculas!
    How can walking not aid weight loss?
    Walking around the house maybe, but the distances you are doing, certainly.
    The only way this wouldn't work as well is if you were adding the 'walking' calories back into MFP.
    My cardio consists solely of walking on the treadmill, on maximum incline for 30m at a suggested calorie rate of 400-500.
    This linked with a calorie deficit from diet and the weight just falls off.

Ill bite. I wont pretend to be all high and mighty and pretend i didnt do the exact same thing. I walked very long distances -10-20 miles a day most days and still do- And admittedly i did not eat back majority of my calories. I was on 1200-1500 my entire 110lb loss. Granted i felt fine and i still do im in the minority on that. And i paid for it by becoming skinny fat with minimal muscle and have been working way harder thn i would have had to since.

To the point, Yes walking 100% helps you lose weight it increases your deficit and gets you moving. Of course its even obvious to the OP it works. BUT it is still your body moving it is exercise and not eating back atleast a portion of your exercise calories when using long distance walking as exercise will come back and bite you in the *kitten*, Whether it be a binge, Or muscle loss, malnourishment signs like hair loss, Hormonal issues like acne, Or for females even period loss.

Yes in the moment weight "falling off" is exciting and awesome, But weight should not "fall off" and we all know that lol. No matter how exciting it seems at the time speedy weight loss comes with its side effects.

Summed up- Walk away but dont for a second think its not exercise, And dont be afraid to fuel your exercise. MFP numbers dont include exercise at all

Hi,

This is me last year, and the year before, trust me, I know exactly what I'm what I'm doing with both my diet and activity levels (I hope that didn't sound condescending, because I didn't mean it to be that way).
    wk23sccuiwnw.jpg
    7so36d6ocm4m.jpg

so your pictures make it okay to you to tell people not to bother eating back exercise calories to make weight "fall off" ?

Why would you eat back the calories?
    It makes the effort put into the walk pointless.
    It's like setting the calorie deficit to -500 and eating 500 over.
    And you were 'skinny fat' because you were under eating in the first place.
    TDEE is calculated not just on stats but activity levels also, walking 10-20 miles a day on 1000-1200 calories you should have probably been on somewhere ball park 2700+.

Anyway I'm not here to argue, you have every right to your opinion as am I.
    Regards

MFP doesn't calculate TDEE, it calculates NEAT. Using NEAT assumes you will log your exercise and eat back those calories. It works well for people who don't exercise daily and want to eat more on days they burn more, rather than spreading those calories over all 7 days like TDEE does.

Trying to get weight to "fall off" while carrying big deficits might be doable for an avg sized guy (though you could still argue it's probably not advisable), but if a smaller woman chooses a 500 cal deficit on MFP, and then several times a week walks off 400 cals and doesn't eat them back, it could very easily put her under 1200 net cals on those days.

OP, I have no idea what the intention of the class leader was when she said that, but yes of course can walking can help with weight loss.

Ahhh the acronyms! What do they mean!? NEAT TDEE someone help me out.... kinda newish here
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    My mum attends a local slimming class. This week the leader said that walking does not help u lose weight, no.matter how far or how fast you Walk!
    I, personally can't agree with this. My main exercise is walking. I walk 5-7km most days at a fast pace.
    How can that not help with weight loss? If I don't walk ...for various reasons...I don't see as much weightt loss that week.

Ridiculas!
    The only way this wouldn't work as well is if you were adding the 'walking' calories back into MFP.
    My cardio consists solely of walking on the treadmill, on maximum incline for 30m at a suggested calorie rate of 400-500.

Ill bite. I wont pretend to be all high and mighty and pretend i didnt do the exact same thing. I walked very long distances -10-20 miles a day most days and still do- And admittedly i did not eat back majority of my calories. I was on 1200-1500 my entire 110lb loss. Granted i felt fine and i still do im in the minority on that. And i paid for it by becoming skinny fat with minimal muscle and have been working way harder thn i would have had to since.

To the point, Yes walking 100% helps you lose weight it increases your deficit and gets you moving. Of course its even obvious to the OP it works. BUT it is still your body moving it is exercise and not eating back atleast a portion of your exercise calories when using long distance walking as exercise will come back and bite you in the *kitten*, Whether it be a binge, Or muscle loss, malnourishment signs like hair loss, Hormonal issues like acne, Or for females even period loss.

Yes in the moment weight "falling off" is exciting and awesome, But weight should not "fall off" and we all know that lol. No matter how exciting it seems at the time speedy weight loss comes with its side effects.

Summed up- Walk away but dont for a second think its not exercise, And dont be afraid to fuel your exercise. MFP numbers dont include exercise at all

Hi,

This is me last year, and the year before, trust me, I know exactly what I'm what I'm doing with both my diet and activity levels (I hope that didn't sound condescending, because I didn't mean it to be that way).
    wk23sccuiwnw.jpg
    7so36d6ocm4m.jpg

so your pictures make it okay to you to tell people not to bother eating back exercise calories to make weight "fall off" ?

TDEE is calculated not just on stats but activity levels also, walking 10-20 miles a day on 1000-1200 calories you should have probably been on somewhere ball park 2700+.

Regards

MFP doesn't calculate TDEE, it calculates NEAT. Using NEAT assumes you will log your exercise and eat back those calories. It works well for people who don't exercise daily and want to eat more on days they burn more, rather than spreading those calories over all 7 days like TDEE does.

Trying to get weight to "fall off" while carrying big deficits might be doable for an avg sized guy (though you could still argue it's probably not advisable), but if a smaller woman chooses a 500 cal deficit on MFP, and then several times a week walks off 400 cals and doesn't eat them back, it could very easily put her under 1200 net cals on those days.

OP, I have no idea what the intention of the class leader was when she said that, but yes of course can walking can help with weight loss.

Ahhh the acronyms! What do they mean!? NEAT TDEE someone help me out.... kinda newish here

NEAT - non exercise something or other - the calories your body burns just doing its basic stuff plus normal life moving around day to day activity.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - NEAT plus purposeful exercise.

So BMR is just being alive. NEAT is BMR plus I got up and lived my life today. TDEE is NEAT plus exercise.

TDEE spreads your exercise calories over the week. NEAT you only eat more on days you exercise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Ridiculas!

Hi,

wk23sccuiwnw.jpg
    7so36d6ocm4m.jpg

Regards

NEAT - non exercise something or other - the calories your body burns just doing its basic stuff plus normal life moving around day to day activity.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - NEAT plus purposeful exercise.

So BMR is just being alive. NEAT is BMR plus I got up and lived my life today. TDEE is NEAT plus exercise.

TDEE spreads your exercise calories over the week. NEAT you only eat more on days you exercise.

"Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis."

:lol: thanks!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mfp does tdee if you log it all....

walking is great exercise. especially starting out. it's how i started. and as i got more fit...i increased my exercise but it is definitely not necessary to go anything further if they choose not to.
  • MrSouthSide
    MrSouthSide Posts: 12 Member
    I like walking. My favorite thing to do on vacation is to walk around a new city. But for weight loss I've had more luck with increasing metabolism through HIIT and building muscle mass. I suspect there are synergies there---if your metabolism is higher you burn more calories when you walk.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Walking is the most human activity you can choose, IMO
    A couple of million years evolution embodied in that activity as we came down from the trees as our security blanket.

I come from a long line of walkers, and it has worked well for me. And it costs nothing!