My best friend is on another fad diet. I give up.

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    It's great to focus on healthy foods, and a lot of people would do better improving their diet from a nutritional standpoint. So in that regard, eating this way is a good thing.

For the time being, yes. But what happens when she fails to lose weight as she anticipates? She'll conclude that it "doesn't work" and either switch to some other fad or give up entirely.

If the person gives up...then maybe they don't want to do the work required to lose weight. At some point people have to take responsibility for themselves. They need to do their own research and figure out the best diet for them. I know the internet is filled with a lot of bad information but there is also some good info...you just have to keep searching until you find it. Most people that are successful at weight loss have done that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    It's great to focus on healthy foods, and a lot of people would do better improving their diet from a nutritional standpoint. So in that regard, eating this way is a good thing.

For the time being, yes. But what happens when she fails to lose weight as she anticipates? She'll conclude that it "doesn't work" and either switch to some other fad or give up entirely.

Did you read my whole post?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member

Did you read my whole post?
    Of course, but I seem to have not expressed myself far too elliptically.

This diet may be healthier than what most people may be eating, but as a weight-loss scheme it's just as faddish as any other. Nor will it actually work, since it's not likely to result in a calorie deficit. How will someone who tries this diet react to that? I'm guessing, not well. Since most healthy diets are broadly similar, there's a good chance this will discourage those who try it and fail to lose weight from troubling themselves to eat healthy at all. If so, in the long run it will do more harm than good.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Guys, I swear I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to see the CICO light. I gave her a food scale, I showed her the weight I was losing, I told her how easy it was, how you can eat whatever as long as you're under/at your calorie limit for the day. She literally told me that she didn't like counting calories because "[her] food has too many calories in it, and [she] runs out really fast." She didn't see the irony.

She told me yesterday she's doing Dr. Oz's "Pegan" diet now. No weighing, no calorie counting, no definition (that I can find) of what a 'serving' of some of the foods constitutes. I asked her what Dr. Oz meant by a 'cheat day' once a week, or what constituted 'one alcoholic drink'. Mixed drink or single shot? She didn't know. It reminds me of Weight Watchers in all the wrong ways.

Have any of you had any friends taking this route? How did things eventually turn out? Did they ever change? Did the fad diet maybe magically work for them? Should I just let go and let god?

I know you are really trying to help your friend - but your first paragraph does come across as quite over zealous

'Trying EVERYTHING' to get somebody to do things your way rarely ends well with anything.

And yes I do know people who have lost without counting calories and many healthy weight people who stay that way without any sort of counting or logging at all.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    People just do not want to know unless we have a magic way for them to lose...I don't even bother sharing anymore that it's just CICO.
  • danceandplay
    danceandplay Posts: 75 Member
    I know that it's exciting to find something that really works for you and you want to share it with friends and family that also struggle with weight issues, but you just shouldn't unless they ask. I don't mean ask in passing. I mean, really say hey... I see you're losing weight and getting healthy. Can you please help me? That's when you sit down and walk them through your day and invite them to eat with you and exercise together. Unless they really take off and research what you are talking about, they're gonna need some handholding to develop good habits. Otherwise, just say diet and exercise because they aren't really ready for more.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    My family is ALL about the fad diets: grapefruit diet, cabbage soup diet, cookie diet. OMG...Before when I lost over 90 pounds, they kept saying, “I need to do what you’re doing” and when I’d tell them, they looked at me like I was an alien.

Yes, I’ve gained most of it back, but I’m back on track and working with the bariatric team I was working with back then....and you know what? I weighed in last Tuesday, and weighed this morning....Scale was down 4 pounds. It’s amazing what happens when you log your food and go on a CICO basis. Nobody ever wants to believe that it’s that simple. My Fitbit Versa hasn’t even arrived yet. It’s supposed to be here Wednesday. (CAN”T WAIT!!)

It really has become a “love them where they’re at” kind of thing. I can’t make them change or expect them to do things the same way I’d do them. They will have to find their own way through the forest just like I did. (Although sometimes I really wish I could just flick them on the head and they’d have an instant revelation!! LOL)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I've now read up on it. It's basically the "best" of vegan and the "best" of paleo (as determined by the creator). High in vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, high quality animal proteins, healthy fats, low glycemic fruits, moderate goat and sheep dairy, moderate real whole grains. Low in junk food and other heavily processed convenience foods. Apparently the creator (Dr. Hyman) uses the term "pagan" rather tongue in cheek. The author's previous book was about healthy fats.
    So, as I said earlier, the OP's friend seems to have found a nutritious "fad" diet. "Fad" being an odd term for nutrient dense, old fashioned diet.

Which is great, but still won't cause you to lose weight unless you eat fewer calories than you expend.

Neither will weighing your food and counting every calorie. Millions of people have done that and still eaten more calories than they expended....and therefore not lost weight.

The point is to find a style of eating (either types of food and/or timing of when you eat them) that isn't overly burdensome for your lifestyle/personality and that makes it EASIER for you to eat less than you expend on a consistent basis. Counting calories is not necessary. And if you like the "fad diet" that you pick, you greatly increase the chance of being able to stick to eating appropriate amounts and losing weight.

It's a given that eating in a way which isn't burdensome makes everything easier. Fad diets which needlessly restrict foods are the opposite of that.

As for the supposed millions of people who accurately log and still don't lose, I don't believe in them. Multiple studies have found that obese people asked to log their eating record a far smaller percentage of their intake than people of normal weight. It's kinda tough to lose when, like actress Dawn French on a recent TV show where they tracked her eating using radioisotopes and compared it to what she admitted to eating, you are eating literally three times as much as you admit to.

All dieters with a goal of losing weight need to restrict foods. Some choose to restrict a little bit of everything, and some focus on restricting specific foods.

Restriction is not what makes a diet a fad. Sudden popularity is. The problem comes when people choose a diet just because it is new and shiny - aka popular. Honestly, I think that is true of most choices. New and shiny is not a good basis for a major decision.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    One of our sons lost about 100 lbs over 10 yrs ago (didn't gain it back) he didn't count calories, just changed the way he eats. My husband lost about 50-60 lbs in the last 2yrs not counting calories either but changed the amount & what he ate. Me, I ate "healthy" for years 7 didn't lose weight untill I came on here