Healthy Fast Food?

Replies

• olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    I'm assuming the term healthy is being used to mean "lower calorie." I go with three crunchy tacos from Taco Bell (510 give or take) or a double cheesburger and small fry from McDonalds (670ish). These two options have helped me get through some rough spots.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The smaller size Wendy’s chili salad is very good, and filling.
  • chrissy201509
    chrissy201509 Posts: 24 Member
    Moe's has good choices
    Zaxbys
    Taco Bell
    Chipotle
    Wendy's
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Wendy's makes chili that is low calorie, extremely filling and tasty!
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    I also vote for Subway- it can help me stay lower calorie but still get filled up (without the lure of the smell of yummy french fries that can be impossible for me to resist, so if I don't plan to make room for the insanely high calories, I stay out of places that serve them!) and Taco bell can have some good lower cal choices too, but careful with the greasy taco meat! Load the veggies, go easy on the cheese and any fatty condiments to save calories.
  • lukeruss
    lukeruss Posts: 34 Member
    Nandos has a good range of lower calorie options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Of chains I would go to: Sweetgreen, Chop't, Pret, Cava, Protein Bar, Roti, Taylor, Chipotle, Paul, or Au Bon Pain.

Oh my goodness you have options. I live in a rural area of a Midwestern state. LOL.....

Living in a small town in a rural state I know restaurant options here are limited to McDonald's, Subway, Sonic, Pizza Hut, local non chain Chinese restaurant, local non chain Mexican restaurant. There is a bakery, coffee shop, gas station offering food as well as Walmart deli and grocery items.
    You can get nutritious foods at the gas station though if you needed to.
    Healthist is planning in advance some quick choices whether you eat out or make food.
    Good for you for thinking ahead to those busy days!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    lukeruss wrote: »

Unfortunately, not an option in the US. :'(
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    lukeruss wrote: »

Unfortunately, not an option in the US. :'(

There are Nandos in the US.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I love PRET. Whenever I go visit my mom, I get a sandwich from there.

Whenever I go to visit my mum, I get a cooked meal from her pot.
  • elizabethrhoads78
    elizabethrhoads78 Posts: 18 Member
    Turkey or roast beef sandwich from Subway or Jimmy Johns
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Meal swap with your friends. If 5 of you make bulk of one dish each on the weekend then swap. You will all have a different meal ready every night of the week.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    There are options out there for healthy fast food but you don't get much, and it won't be satisfying for long.

You obviously don't have a Flame Broiler anywhere near you.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2018
    We eat fast food a lot. It's not the best option, but as a full-time working mom married to a busy teacher/coach, it's reality. Last night we hit the Chick Fil A drive through after a baseball game and I got a Grilled Chicken Sandwich (320 calories I think?) and a side salad. Wendy's has yummy salads. Sometimes I have to take off the extras like the cheese and stuff, but they are really good. And sometimes I'll get a small plain hamburger. Normally on those fast food nights I try to choose something like a lower calorie sandwich and a side salad. I do love to sneak some fries from my kids, though! I'm also a big fan of Subway and I eat that for lunch about once a week when I don't feel like packing a lunch for work.

Also, like DomesticKat mentioned about, the rotisserie chickens you can get at about any grocery store for about $5 are a lifesaver!!
  • BonnieSeelinger
    BonnieSeelinger Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2018
    Can all the moms running crazy from this feed please request to be my friend? I feel like we could learn something from eachother without passing any judgement on this crazy journey!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There are options out there for healthy fast food but you don't get much, and it won't be satisfying for long.

You obviously don't have a Flame Broiler anywhere near you.

I miss flame broiler! I used to eat there all the time after school. And yes, very good options there. Too bad there aren't any where I live now.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited April 2018
    Burger King value menu. You can a get a decent size meal for under 500 cals. Yesterday I got the value menu bacon cheeseburger (320 cal) and a value menu onion rings (150 cal) I don’t really aim for “healthy” when I eat fast food. I just pay attention to calories and portion sizes. The value menu options are also a lot cheaper then the large meals (fast food can be crazy expensive) It’s a win win.
  • DannieLynn6661
    DannieLynn6661 Posts: 1 Member
    In my opinion, so take what you want and leave the rest, I dont get too worried about a meal here or there that isnt good for me. I minimize the size (a small instead of a large or a 6 in sub and not a 12) cut down on sauces, and try really hard not to do it often. Moderation has been helping me more than worrying all the time about my calories. In fact that makes me feel deprived and more apt to act out with food.
  • wwhitney1
    wwhitney1 Posts: 9 Member
    Not sure if this will help you but it sure has me. On Sundays I boil a big bag of greens and some cabbage, I keep it in the fridge (it will be good for 1 week) and every night before bed I lay out some sort of meat (lately it's been turkey patties). Takes about 20 minutes to have everything cooked/reheated. I also keep a box of the 10 minute boil in a bag rice, so if I want something like that with my veggies its super quick and will be cooking while everything else is.

If nothing else a good ole peanut butter sandwhich on whole wheat bread and chips/popcorn will do lol