What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    So many inspiring things on this thread.

Mine is:
    Change doesn't start tomorrow. Change can only start today.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Mine is 'no-one said on their deathbed "I wish I ate another pie"'.

I might. There is nothing wrong with enjoying treats if you can fit them in.

So that to me is more about there being more to life than food. Nothing to do with the calories, or the treats or how you approach CICO or there being anything wrong with eating whatever you want.
    It's just something which makes me put food in it's place - it's not the most important thing in my life (figuratively that is - before someone tries to explain how I need food to live).

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Best advice ever : "To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn. Cardio is a tool, not a necessity"....Because I hate cardio, I ditched it as soon as CICO clicked for me and it makes my cutting so much enjoyable. Since I have a high metabolism, being at a caloric deficit isn't a pain either.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    edited July 2018
    What's the best diet or fitness advice you've ever heard?
    You hear this over and over, I'm sure, but for good reason,

food scale (100% times yes, this is the cheat sheet)
    keeping a food diary (I keep mine on mfp, so I credit them)

This is mine, and I have had success :)
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member

Actually my great grandfather-in-law asked for lemon meringue pie one last time as he was dying. So it does happen. ;) I'm pretty sure he had no regrets about that decision.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    lolly2414 wrote: »

Actually my great grandfather-in-law asked for lemon meringue pie one last time as he was dying. So it does happen. ;) I'm pretty sure he had no regrets about that decision.

The father of brother in law's wife had lemon pie often when he was dying from cancer. It had been made for him on special occasions for many years and I think there were a lot of good memories associated with it. I had one uncle who was sitting on his front porch watching the sun set on a hot day and asked someone to bring him a Popsicle. He ate it, set the stick on the rail, sat back in his rocker, closed his eyes and never opened them again.
  • hjgordon14
    hjgordon14 Posts: 3 Member
    My biggest motivator is something that occurred to me when I was looking at past mile times- “todays worst is still better than last months best.”
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    You're only going to get the results you work for. Crap effort, crap results. Great effort, great results.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    To avoid the (inaccurate) victim feelings of food deprivation, I no longer say “I can’t” eat something - I’m in control, so it’s “I won’t!”
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    bump
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    As I've aged, I've been telling all my clients to "stay within your limits". Not that we won't try to be progressive in whatever program I have for them, but for sake of risking injury just to satisfy a little ego. Had a client who was an athlete and wanted to dead lift 500lbs again................30 years later than when he last did it. Not saying it's impossible, but would the risk for injury be worth it in his 60's?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I miss Anvil.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I may have lost a lb or two in my day...😏

https://anchor.fm/jesse-o1/episodes/8-tips-to-help-you-overcome-cravings-and-temptations-eov7jd

Here's my latest episode on how exactly I did it 🤷🏽‍♂️...
    It's also available on YouTube and everywhere else you podcast Btw
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    Glad this was bumped :) Fun read.

There’s no such thing as good and bad food.

and...

Hara Hachi Bu: Stop Eating When You’re 80% Full.