Running help, back outside after winter

Options
2»

Replies

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts to add to some of the other good advice.

Can you run on trails? trails are much softer then roads, you may find you can do 3 runs easily if you do 1-2 of them on trails.
    On your third run, do it as a mix of running/walking, run 5min, walk 5min, (or longer/shorter-whichever works for you).
    Run on the treadmill on your 3rd run, do that for a few weeks, till your body gets used to that 3rd day.

There are many options to play with so you can get that 3rd run in, just play with things/ideas till you find what works.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    A few thoughts to add to some of the other good advice.

Can you run on trails? trails are much softer then roads, you may find you can do 3 runs easily if you do 1-2 of them on trails.
    On your third run, do it as a mix of running/walking, run 5min, walk 5min, (or longer/shorter-whichever works for you).
    Run on the treadmill on your 3rd run, do that for a few weeks, till your body gets used to that 3rd day.

There are many options to play with so you can get that 3rd run in, just play with things/ideas till you find what works.

Thanks I am going to start doing walk/run intervals on the treadmill then increase over time... we have a big amount of Lyme disease in the area so trails aren't something I want to do
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    One thing nobody has mentioned is trying to do some of your runs on a softer surface than asphalt. Go to the park and run on grass or dirt trails. If you have a state forest nearby, run the dirt roads. Or if it's open to the public, go to your local school track and run on the softer surface there. I love running on dirt because it is so much less jarring than pavement. Trails can also be good because you use your muscles differently, so there is less repetitive stress.