Struggling with legs

2»

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks guys, it's a bit overwhelming with so much advice. I'll strip it back, start over and add in extra sessions. I'll report back in a month and let you know what happens.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Got my sets done just now, lighter and easier. I'm my own worst enemy ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    @sardelsa has put in years of work, and by what she has said about her body, (correct me if I am wrong Miss S) does have the slight advantage of having a body that develops the lower half well.

I on the other hand have a much naturally stronger upper body. My legs are like knots in cotton, and I won't bother mentioning glutes, so sad, I know I will never have the dedication to put in the years it takes to developed such a sweep or glutes.
    I am just working on making what I have incrementally better with a lifelong recomp.

Follow your programme as written. If you have a good trainer, it is written the way it is to give you the best progression given your circumstances.

Because you are asking questions, it would be useful if you could post your programme and your bulking/weight gain goal.

Sounds like you are enjoying lifting.

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Overhead press, incline & flat chest press, machine chest press, seated lateral raise, dumbbell fly, tricep extension x 3 different moves. 10 minute row (2000 metres in 10 minutes)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Static lunge, squat, deadlift, lat pulldowns, diverging row, assisted pull-ups, bicep x 3 different moves.

I do this split twice a week starting on a Wednesday with obviously Day 1 but I start again on Saturday and follow through till Monday as that's the only time I can go to the gym.

Personally I think you should get a new trainer. It's likely the reason your upper body is more developed than your lower is likely due to it only getting half as much volume. The bigger the muscle the more volume it takes for growth.

Just look. In one day you do 5 moves that involve your chest and anterior delt in the next day you have 3 moves that involve your legs as a whole with no specific isolation for your quads. Especially if your trainer is aware of your desire to process with them the most.

Another thing. If you're afraid to get stuck in the hole your trainer should be teaching you how to safely dump the bar.

I had to dump 355 last week when I failed, having practiced for that in the past I was able to do it automatically.
    I do agree the trainer is lacking, but this statement is false. The bigger muscles (assuming they get adequate stimulas) dont recover as quick therefore typically get less volume as far as reps/sets and even days in some cases compared to others.

It's movements that involve smaller groups of muscles (e.g., bench, overhead press, etc) that usually always stall out and need more volume to kickstart progress. In other words, they tolerate more volume when compared to lifts that involve bigger muscles because of the recovery rate.

It's not unusual for the upper body to show more progress just because people tend to dedicate time to bettering form they can actually see in a mirror as they perform. Have you ever seen somebody who can't conventional deadlift because they ferl is too hard and in reality their form is lacking compared to theit bro curling with good form?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    @sardelsa has put in years of work, and by what she has said about her body, (correct me if I am wrong Miss S) does have the slight advantage of having a body that develops the lower half well.

I on the other hand have a much naturally stronger upper body. My legs are like knots in cotton, and I won't bother mentioning glutes, so sad, I know I will never have the dedication to put in the years it takes to developed such a sweep or glutes.
    I am just working on making what I have incrementally better with a lifelong recomp.

Follow your programme as written. If you have a good trainer, it is written the way it is to give you the best progression given your circumstances.

Because you are asking questions, it would be useful if you could post your programme and your bulking/weight gain goal.

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Overhead press, incline & flat chest press, machine chest press, seated lateral raise, dumbbell fly, tricep extension x 3 different moves. 10 minute row (2000 metres in 10 minutes)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)
    Static lunge, squat, deadlift, lat pulldowns, diverging row, assisted pull-ups, bicep x 3 different moves.

I do this split twice a week starting on a Wednesday with obviously Day 1 but I start again on Saturday and follow through till Monday as that's the only time I can go to the gym.

Personally I think you should get a new trainer. It's likely the reason your upper body is more developed than your lower is likely due to it only getting half as much volume. The bigger the muscle the more volume it takes for growth.

Just look. In one day you do 5 moves that involve your chest and anterior delt in the next day you have 3 moves that involve your legs as a whole with no specific isolation for your quads. Especially if your trainer is aware of your desire to process with them the most.

Another thing. If you're afraid to get stuck in the hole your trainer should be teaching you how to safely dump the bar.

I had to dump 355 last week when I failed, having practiced for that in the past I was able to do it automatically.
    I do agree the trainer is lacking, but this statement is false. The bigger muscles (assuming they get adequate stimulas) dont recover as quick therefore typically get less volume as far as reps/sets and even days in some cases compared to others.

It's movements that involve smaller groups of muscles (e.g., bench, overhead press, etc) that usually always stall out and need more volume to kickstart progress. In other words, they tolerate more volume when compared to lifts that involve bigger muscles because of the recovery rate.

It's not unusual for the upper body to show more progress just because people tend to dedicate time to bettering form they can actually see in a mirror as they perform. Have you ever seen somebody who can't conventional deadlift because they ferl is too hard and in reality their form is lacking compared to theit bro curling with good form?

Yeah I realized my error after posting and should've corrected it. I was just finishing a long day my bad. I'm actually not sure what I was getting at haha.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Yeah I realized my error after posting and should've corrected it. I was just finishing a long day my bad. I'm actually not sure what I was getting at haha.

;) Happens, I was bit caught off reading that part since I have typically agreed with your line of thoughts.
  • Reed039
    Reed039 Posts: 62 Member
    Try organizing your training better. The first day is almost all upper body push related and the second day is half legs and half upper body pull.

If you're lifting 4x/week total already (if I read that correctly), then either do an UL split or push-pull split.
    E.g.:
    UL:
    Day 1: bench, OHP, pull ups, rows, etc.
    Day 2: squat, DL, etc.

Push-Pull:
    Day 1: bench, OHP, squat, leg press, etc.
    Day 2: rows, pull ups, deadlifts, RDLs, leg curls, hip thrusts, etc.

Also, your height has nothing to do with low bar/high bar squatting.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

Cheers, h.

Day 1 (12 reps, 3 sets)

Day 2 (12 reps, 3 sets)

;) Happens, I was bit caught off reading that part since I have typically agreed with your line of thoughts.

Hope I didn't throw you off too badly haha. Ahh at good to know!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Starting Strength would have you squat heavy three times per week as a novice for 3x5. All those accessory leg exercises- just time wasters imo. Much more fun to load the bar heavy, squat, and then move on. If you go heavy enough, 3x5 will be enough. My legs aren't like jesse's (dang!), but I've been following this approach for over a year and now routinely squat heavier than almost everyone at my gym.

If you lunge the same weight you squat, then you aren't going heavy enough on squat.