Help with rude behavior in the family?

2»

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    There is absolutely no way I would allow my family to speak to my wife that way. I would suspend all communications with that family member until they apologized for treating my spose so poorly. I understand you don't want to be in the middle of you mother and your wife but that is you job now, you have to stand up for your wife. You chose this person as your partner, you need to show that you're willing to protect and stand by your partner above all else. I would be absolutely heartbroken if my spouse allowed someone to speak to me in that manner, I'm so sad for your wife that she felt so helpless in her own home that she had to physically leave.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    well I think you should defend your wife the minute your mom opens her mouth - on the spot - in front of your wife.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Tell your mom she was a *kitten*, has repeatedly been nasty and needs to apologize and never treat your wife disrespectfully again. Tell your wife thst you were wrong not to speak up when someone was mean to her and she doesn't have to put up with that *kitten*. If your mom doesn't apologize to your wife and change her ways then tell your mom she is not welcome in your lives.
    Then you follow through.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I'm so glad my mother was so good to my wife.

But, if she hadn't been, as much as I loved her, I would have asked her to stop and, if she hadn't, I would have excised my mom from our life.

I allow no one to be rude to my wife. It's one of the few ways you can anger me.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I really think it's awful that he makes his wife work outside the home rather than support her as he should so she can focus on cooking and calorie counting.

His mother was probably a kept woman who focused on hearth and home while her husband earned for them both.

It's likely that she secretly doesn't respect her daughter in law for allowing her husband to put her out there to labor as a beast of burden. So her disdain slips out as criticism and fat insults.

I wish this man would come back so we could discuss it on this level.

Wow, that's a really interesting perspective on the situation.

I was still kind of childishly chuckling at the mother's 'sick burn.' Terrible to make someone feel that way, though.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I really think it's awful that he makes his wife work outside the home rather than support her as he should so she can focus on cooking and calorie counting.

His mother was probably a kept woman who focused on hearth and home while her husband earned for them both.

It's likely that she secretly doesn't respect her daughter in law for allowing her husband to put her out there to labor as a beast of burden. So her disdain slips out as criticism and fat insults.

I wish this man would come back so we could discuss it on this level.

:joy:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP abandoned ship. :D