Cutting the cable cord

2»

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Search YouTube for Kodi and Amazon for "kodi box".
    Also from Amazon get a keyboard remote.
    You'll thank me later
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Is there a cafeteria plan out there to select certain cable network stations?

( espn, tbs, big ten network etc. )

I use a Roku device to stream and one of their channels is sling tv that has all the tbs, tnt, fx, espn, etc.channels depending on package its like 25 channels for 25$ a month, they have now incorpoated a dvr as well
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    I'd do it, but I have to watch my Thunder games. I've yet to hear of a way to still watch them without cable or satellite.

OK City Thunder?

kv07naeseat1.gif

Hmmmmmm...Oklahoma Thunder then. Nailed it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    We dropped cable/satellite tv about 10 years ago. At the time we mainly had Netflix dvd's and whatever we found free on the internet. Then we had streaming on Netflix. Now we have Amazon Prime video as well.
    I don't really watch anything regularly myself.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Cut the cord going on 10 years ago ourselves, we used to watch what we wanted in the form of DVD's and what we could find on YouTube - then got ourselves a SmartTV and stream via Netflix (Hulu no longer supports our TV so we can't watch it anymore - thus considering a Roku device).

We get out internet through AT&T and have a larger bandwidth - the SmartTV, a Desktop Computer, three phones and a couple tablets in the house we need it.

I wouldn't skimp on the bandwidth. Makes a lot of difference.
  • Deisler26
    Deisler26 Posts: 357 Member
    I'd do it, but I have to watch my Thunder games. I've yet to hear of a way to still watch them without cable or satellite.

Markham?

And we cut the cord last year. All we did was upgrade our internet to a 200mbs fibre connection, so that all three kids can stream their shows, my missus can watch her Netflix and I can play the Xbox
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Officially cut the cord today. Got a Roku stick and Sling TV so far. Thanks all!
  • SmurfBunny3
    SmurfBunny3 Posts: 73 Member
    People still have cable???

We cut the cord like 10 years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Anything we really want to watch that we can't find there (Big Bang Theory, for example), we buy the season pass on Vudu.

The only thing we haven't really managed to replace is live sports. But, hubby gets by without it. That one thing isn't worth all that money for. If he really wants to see a game he will either go watch it at a friends house or at a sports bar. It's all good.... :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I've lived on my own since I was 18. I'm 32. I never had cable. Life is fine.

I didn't even have a tv until a week ago.

Living alone I never had cable either. For me it was always a thing on my to do list when a relationship ended. Call and cancel the cable because I don't need or want it. Every guy I lived with previously (a few boyfriends and my ex husband) HAD TO have cable, HBO, sports package(s) and so on.

My husband now doesn't care about TV. We have literally turned on our TV zero times in 2018 so far and only have one because my in-laws died and their two year old flat screen would not have brought much in at the auction.

I tried Netflix for a month in 2016 and fully intended to keep it permanently since it's very affordable...but within that month we had icy weather and I hurt my arm, so I burnt myself out watching everything and was more than done in three weeks. Haven't missed it. I do occasionally watch TV shows at others' homes but it's always their idea.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I have never had cable. Unless you are into sports doesnt seem worth the money anymore.

We use netflix and hulu. Hulu seems to do better for tv shows, netflix has more movies. Curious to see if thos cheaper version of tv lasts? Seems like different channels are starting to create their own streaming sites and moving away from the big ones.