Sleep -issue?-

Options

Replies

• staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a decrease in one of the neurotransmitters responsible for sleep cycles. You did mention reducing carbs but not when during the day. Evening carbs help increase tryptophan as a by product of the processes needed to deal with the insulin released when we have carbs. The body makes serotonin from tryptophan. A sudden drop in serotonin can cause inappropriate waking. Maybe try to have your carbs in the evening and see if it helps.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    staraly wrote: »
    Sounds like a decrease in one of the neurotransmitters responsible for sleep cycles. You did mention reducing carbs but not when during the day. Evening carbs help increase tryptophan as a by product of the processes needed to deal with the insulin released when we have carbs. The body makes serotonin from tryptophan. A sudden drop in serotonin can cause inappropriate waking. Maybe try to have your carbs in the evening and see if it helps.

i still eat tons of carbs lol. Thanks though. By upping protein i did it in like 60 calorie portions of chicken and an egg and a huge plate of veggies with nicecream, All the carbs still just slightly less for a small portion of protein at 2 of my meals
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    if any of you recomendign magnesium supplement are still around any recomendations on like...dosage..? Im about to do my research now and go buy based on that but cant hurt to throw the question to the pros in the meantime :p
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Any time I sleep, 10PM, 2AM, 6AM, whatever, I will no fail wake up by 8AM. I’ve just accepted it but it totally sucks if I’ve gone out the night before.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    if any of you recomendign magnesium supplement are still around any recomendations on like...dosage..? Im about to do my research now and go buy based on that but cant hurt to throw the question to the pros in the meantime :p

Examine.com has the following on dosing...
    The standard dose for magnesium supplementation is 200-400mg.

and...
    The intestinal absorption of magnesium varies depending on how much magnesium the body needs, so there are not very many side-effects associated with supplementation. If there is too much magnesium, the body will only absorb as much as it needs. However, excessive doses may cause gastrointestinal distress and diarrhea.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

When i was training a lot, eating in a deficit, and seeing signs of poor sleep patterns I took a lot. Probably about 1000mg a day.. Maybe more. I only had a couple of occasions when I over did it (as mentioned above) but a couple of days with a lower dose helped.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Well, mine come in 200 mg capsules, and I take 1000mg a day. I'd recommend titrating up to that because it can have a laxative effect on some people.

Oh, btw, the brand with the highest rating from Labdoor is Life Extension.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

Well, mine come in 200 mg capsules, and I take 1000mg a day. I'd recommend titrating up to that because it can have a laxative effect on some people.

The internet was pretty useless so im glad i asked you guys. I read anywhere from 130mg to 3g lol. Ill head to the shop shortly and see what dosages they have but sounds like my ideal range is between 400mg-1000mg so ill buy accordingly and start slow for sure, Thanks for the warning :p

Do you guys take it in the mornings or at night? (may be obvious but it isnt to me lol im not sure if its an overall body deficiency that gets fixed and helps or having it in your system while you sleep that helps)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium at night. It will make you sleepy. Also, start with a small dose and work up if you're going to take more than say 200mg/day. You might even want to discuss with your doctor before taking more than that. Unless you're an endurance athlete and spend most of your time sweating you probably don't need more than that on a regular basis. RDA is 310-320mg for women and you get some most of that from food.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    amandaeve wrote: »
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I've thought about buying the weighted sheets or blankets that are being used for anxiety. I think my issue is that my stress level is high so I don't relax enough to stay asleep.

I use a cooling weighted blanket. I grew up sleeping in very cold rooms with lots of blankets, so I feel cozy with a lot of weight on me. I can't get my bedroom cold enough now (can't open windows due to noise, can't use air conditioner or fans because the bf can't sleep that way) so I have a cooling weighted blanket because it's hard to sleep with no covers on. I also have ice-pack socks and a cooling pillow (I'm a sleeping mess!) I honestly don't see how it would help with anxiety, however. If the mind is racing, I'd recommend daily meditation, body scans, and solid sleep hygiene. You could test your theory before paying all that money, though. If you feel more relaxed under a lot of blankets now, it would probably help.

@amandaeve mind sharing a link? I never heard of regular or cooling weighted blankets until this thread. Then I went to Mom's yesterday and she had just bought a regular weighted blanket for my brother. I got under it and it was great, but I figured it would be too hot for it soon.

@kshama2001 This is the one I got: https://www.weightingcomforts.com/products/cool-max-weighted-blanket-white
    Way too expensive, but it does have a cooling effect. I have been using it over a blanket this winter. I've tried it alone on my hottest nights, and got too cold half way through. I haven't used it over summer yet, but I expect it to work well. I figured it an investment, considering how hot I get now and menopause is looming in my future. It would be better if it were smaller, more like a throw. It drives the bf nuts because it creates a sort of impenetrable wall between us. For that reason, I don't use it every night, but it's bedside, at the ready, for those nights I wake up boiling.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

The internet was pretty useless so im glad i asked you guys. I read anywhere from 130mg to 3g lol. Ill head to the shop shortly and see what dosages they have but sounds like my ideal range is between 400mg-1000mg so ill buy accordingly and start slow for sure, Thanks for the warning :p

Do you guys take it in the mornings or at night? (may be obvious but it isnt to me lol im not sure if its an overall body deficiency that gets fixed and helps or having it in your system while you sleep that helps)

I split mine, and take 400 morning, 600 at night. Yes, I am a little old lady with a pill container that gets filled every week with medications and supplements so she doesn't forget to take them.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

I split mine, and take 400 morning, 600 at night. Yes, I am a little old lady with a pill container that gets filled every week with medications and supplements so she doesn't forget to take them.

i bought 500mg tablets they were on sale and made most sense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I've thought about buying the weighted sheets or blankets that are being used for anxiety. I think my issue is that my stress level is high so I don't relax enough to stay asleep.

I use a cooling weighted blanket. I grew up sleeping in very cold rooms with lots of blankets, so I feel cozy with a lot of weight on me. I can't get my bedroom cold enough now (can't open windows due to noise, can't use air conditioner or fans because the bf can't sleep that way) so I have a cooling weighted blanket because it's hard to sleep with no covers on. I also have ice-pack socks and a cooling pillow (I'm a sleeping mess!) I honestly don't see how it would help with anxiety, however. If the mind is racing, I'd recommend daily meditation, body scans, and solid sleep hygiene. You could test your theory before paying all that money, though. If you feel more relaxed under a lot of blankets now, it would probably help.

@amandaeve mind sharing a link? I never heard of regular or cooling weighted blankets until this thread. Then I went to Mom's yesterday and she had just bought a regular weighted blanket for my brother. I got under it and it was great, but I figured it would be too hot for it soon.

@kshama2001 This is the one I got: https://www.weightingcomforts.com/products/cool-max-weighted-blanket-white
    Way too expensive, but it does have a cooling effect. I have been using it over a blanket this winter. I've tried it alone on my hottest nights, and got too cold half way through. I haven't used it over summer yet, but I expect it to work well. I figured it an investment, considering how hot I get now and menopause is looming in my future. It would be better if it were smaller, more like a throw. It drives the bf nuts because it creates a sort of impenetrable wall between us. For that reason, I don't use it every night, but it's bedside, at the ready, for those nights I wake up boiling.

@amandaeve Thanks! I miss having piles of covers in the summer and this might do the trick. Please update me on how it works on hot nights. Also, how heavy is your blanket? My brother's 18 pounds seemed a little heavy, so I was going to try 15.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mine is 15. Plenty heavy.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    What temperature do you keep your home at night? I find I sleep much better at a cooler temperature as recommended. In general, we also like to keep our house cooler than most (67/62 overnight during the summer, 63/57 overnight during the winter with an extra blanket) and if I adjust the thermostat to accommodate guests and forget to turn it back down, I sleep horribly.

I saw pillows were mentioned but how old is your mattress? Trying to think of other things beyond bodily intake that could be contributing.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This probably has little to nothing to do with waking up, but if you need a pillow that lasts forever, try out the TempurPedic memory foam ones. If you sleep on your back, you have one side of the pillow up. If you sleep on your side or face, you flip the pillow over and use that side. They're $98 on Amazon or the Tempurpedic website, but I've had mine for years and it's still as firm as ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Tempur-Pedic-15390515-TEMPUR-Symphony-Pillow/dp/B009EBCVAS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524514853&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tempur+pedic+symphony+pillow&psc=1

• JaydedMiss
    Options
    This probably has little to nothing to do with waking up, but if you need a pillow that lasts forever, try out the TempurPedic memory foam ones. If you sleep on your back, you have one side of the pillow up. If you sleep on your side or face, you flip the pillow over and use that side. They're $98 on Amazon or the Tempurpedic website, but I've had mine for years and it's still as firm as ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Tempur-Pedic-15390515-TEMPUR-Symphony-Pillow/dp/B009EBCVAS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524514853&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tempur+pedic+symphony+pillow&psc=1

bit much for me to afford for now but ill save up and look into them for sure, Thankyou
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    What temperature do you keep your home at night? I find I sleep much better at a cooler temperature as recommended. In general, we also like to keep our house cooler than most (67/62 overnight during the summer, 63/57 overnight during the winter with an extra blanket) and if I adjust the thermostat to accommodate guests and forget to turn it back down, I sleep horribly...

I would love to have it that cold at night in the winter but my OH already thinks I'm not normal for having it at 62 ;)

• JaydedMiss
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    What temperature do you keep your home at night? I find I sleep much better at a cooler temperature as recommended. In general, we also like to keep our house cooler than most (67/62 overnight during the summer, 63/57 overnight during the winter with an extra blanket) and if I adjust the thermostat to accommodate guests and forget to turn it back down, I sleep horribly...

I would love to have it that cold at night in the winter but my OH already thinks I'm not normal for having it at 62 ;)

id die to have it super cold nightly id LOVE it but i have a tiny tropical bird who i highly doubt would like the cold lol
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Anytime I increase protein and decrease carbs, I end up with the same problem. That may or may not be your problem. I highly recommend discussing it with your doctor and you may need a sleep test but usually sleep disorders that respond to a sleep test leave you feeling tired and without energy. It well could be hormones, but the condition isn't typical so I would see my doctor!