Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Anyone cutting after a bulk?

18384868889

Replies

  • cmelvin1414cmelvin1414 Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member
    Awesome advice!!! Thanks so much.

  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 697 Member Member Posts: 697 Member
    @sardelsa incredible! Great 11! 😎
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,495 Member Member Posts: 9,495 Member
    @KHMcG Holy smokes awesome! I don't know how much better you can get (although I know what it's like to be our own toughest critic). Just keep increasing calories until you maintain then go from there!
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    Doing ok I think. I just moved from upper/lower 4 days to 3 days. Will keep you all posted. hreayuppjcsh.jpeg
    jcd05qnrnnq1.jpeg
    0pniicydrcm4.jpeg
    k54ls992bvy4.jpeg
    zn2k0327xl0r.jpeg
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 697 Member Member Posts: 697 Member
    @alexmose Just ok? Looking good! Keep at it, you're doing great.
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    @alexmose Just ok? Looking good! Keep at it, you're doing great.

    Thank you! I don’t have much ‘cutting’ to go! I’m only 108lbs and I’m lifting really hard and getting plenty of protein. Just feels like the results are not coming.
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 697 Member Member Posts: 697 Member
    @sardelsa I know... I'm a redline hunter by nature... I need to be careful though bouncing off the rev limiter can be painful. The body is 48 years old... I absolutely love those zercher squats. They are really helping to fill out my quads. I'm doing them with dumbells, high rep and lower weight at the moment.

  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,495 Member Member Posts: 9,495 Member
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?

    Wow seriously thank you and @KHMcG I guess maybe I’m a little close to the finished product to notice.

    @sardelsa that is an excellent question. I think this new 3 day split is JUST taxing enough that I am moving a tad less which causes a 1 lb weight gain over the past month-ish. Nothing to write home about. I guess I’ll recomp for now but if I see weight trending upward, I don’t think it’s a big deal unless it’s a total 4-5LB increase.

    I just tell myself that the scale may go up but I’m gaining Muscle as long as I keep lifting 😂

  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,495 Member Member Posts: 9,495 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?

    Wow seriously thank you and @KHMcG I guess maybe I’m a little close to the finished product to notice.

    @sardelsa that is an excellent question. I think this new 3 day split is JUST taxing enough that I am moving a tad less which causes a 1 lb weight gain over the past month-ish. Nothing to write home about. I guess I’ll recomp for now but if I see weight trending upward, I don’t think it’s a big deal unless it’s a total 4-5LB increase.

    I just tell myself that the scale may go up but I’m gaining Muscle as long as I keep lifting 😂

    I know it can be a mental struggle but you are in the perfect position to start a bulk if you wanted, even a very small surplus, 1lb per month over at least 6-8 months will you will gain a decent amount of muscle and keep the fat gain minimal. It really depends on your goals of course you look awesome so you could stay where you are and first try out recomp for a while and see where it takes you, but I definitely would not cut any more!
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,666 Member Member Posts: 1,666 Member
    You guys are all looking fantastic.

    I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

    I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow looking great @alexmose! Are you recomping or are you heading into a surplus?

    Wow seriously thank you and @KHMcG I guess maybe I’m a little close to the finished product to notice.

    @sardelsa that is an excellent question. I think this new 3 day split is JUST taxing enough that I am moving a tad less which causes a 1 lb weight gain over the past month-ish. Nothing to write home about. I guess I’ll recomp for now but if I see weight trending upward, I don’t think it’s a big deal unless it’s a total 4-5LB increase.

    I just tell myself that the scale may go up but I’m gaining Muscle as long as I keep lifting 😂

    I know it can be a mental struggle but you are in the perfect position to start a bulk if you wanted, even a very small surplus, 1lb per month over at least 6-8 months will you will gain a decent amount of muscle and keep the fat gain minimal. It really depends on your goals of course you look awesome so you could stay where you are and first try out recomp for a while and see where it takes you, but I definitely would not cut any more!

    Thank you for this. I guess for now I’ll just eat as I please and see where that takes me. No worries, I have gotten down to 103lbs and felt just awful so I don’t want to go down anymore!!
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    You guys are all looking fantastic.

    I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

    I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.

    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been here: recomp or bulk/cut. How many training years do you have? I only have about 3.
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,495 Member Member Posts: 9,495 Member
    @steveko89 I am always tinkering with programs, but for the first time I'm following it as written (with very slight modifications based on equipment limitations) and it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like it's actually making a difference.

    And yes definitely keep us posted on the scan!
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @steveko89 I am always tinkering with programs, but for the first time I'm following it as written (with very slight modifications based on equipment limitations) and it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like it's actually making a difference.

    And yes definitely keep us posted on the scan!

    All Programs need more glutes, am I right!?! 😉
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,666 Member Member Posts: 1,666 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    You guys are all looking fantastic.

    I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

    I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.

    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been here: recomp or bulk/cut. How many training years do you have? I only have about 3.

    Been at it for 5. If the skulpt numbers are to be believed, I started at ~18%, down to just under 12% now. Weight has been no higher than 185 at 6'1". I do feel like I've made some good progress aesthetically over the last 8-12 months given that I've gotten a fair amount of "you've been working out!" type comments from people who've known me for years than I had in the 2-3 years prior. Mentally, I struggle with the prospect of fat gain as I was mild/moderately overweight growing up.
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 640 Member Member Posts: 640 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    You guys are all looking fantastic.

    I'm not doing terribly, but not being consistent enough. I'd been creeping down on the scale with a day I weighed 171.2 and had my moving average down to 173.2 but in the 16 days since I've just been eating way too much, averaging 100+ over TDEE, let alone my target range, and back up over 174 by average. I'd also let my volume dip, not getting up early enough to get all necessary sets in before getting to the office. Over the course of this week I've improved that somewhat and trying to get back to Arnold's L2 program as written. I have a serious problem tinkering with programs that I need to curb.

    I plan on doing a skulpt scan tomorrow morning. I'll some pictures if I remember too. Based on the recomp discussion earlier in the week I wonder if between my training age and body composition if I've gotten most of the mileage I can glean from recomping and need to finally get my head together to run a lean bulk.

    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been here: recomp or bulk/cut. How many training years do you have? I only have about 3.

    Been at it for 5. If the skulpt numbers are to be believed, I started at ~18%, down to just under 12% now. Weight has been no higher than 185 at 6'1". I do feel like I've made some good progress aesthetically over the last 8-12 months given that I've gotten a fair amount of "you've been working out!" type comments from people who've known me for years than I had in the 2-3 years prior. Mentally, I struggle with the prospect of fat gain as I was mild/moderately overweight growing up.

    Again, been there with growing up. With any luck, you maybe ALSO have a mildly overweight nuclear family. It’s a mental hurdle, one I had even posted about previously. Can’t say I’ve completely gotten over it either.

    Like I said before, anything below a certain weight, I tell myself It has to be muscle since I’m still lifting, or it’s inflammation coming back post lockdown, etc 😂
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,666 Member Member Posts: 1,666 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @steveko89 I am always tinkering with programs, but for the first time I'm following it as written (with very slight modifications based on equipment limitations) and it's only been 3 weeks but I feel like it's actually making a difference.

    And yes definitely keep us posted on the scan!

    When we first had that discussion that @pitbullpuppy started about the Arnold bible program, when I found the PDF I went straight to the programs, yanked out the one that looked like would fit my existing schedule and mushed it into that format. I've long been a fan of supersets and giant sets so the result was a completely jumbled order. Over time I stripped out stuff I didn't like doing and messed with the rep ranges to prep for that online lifting competition and had gotten too far away from even how I set it up initially, let alone how it was written. Early this week I actually went back and read some of the narrative in the book and it explains some of the reasoning behind it. Wednesday I followed it to the letter and actually felt some soreness and a good pump, both of which are pretty unusual for me so I have to agree, I think there's definitely something to be said for following a prescribed design.
    edited July 31
Sign In or Register to comment.