HOW did you lose the weight??? Do you get asked that all the time?

Options
1235»

Replies

• pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I used to get asked that quite often as I was nearing my goal weight.
    Usually would just say portion control, lower carb intake.
    One response, looking completely not interested in that idea, said Oh no I could never do THAT. I love my potatoes far too much. Once again, someone looking for a magic answer.
    Now. Go out to lunch. Eat 1/2 what I order. Then I get the "have you lost more weight" question. No I have not.
    Maybe one of these days...4 years later now, they will accept the fact that I am no longer a member of the clean your plate club. Except at home when I use a salad plate for meals instead of a platter ( most restaurants ).
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Is no-one else tempted to say - 'I just boil water and add a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of raw honey. You can get the recipe off fbook and it just melts away belly fat. And if you add a tsp of turmeric and a tsp of ginger it will cure all known ailments, including cancer'
    ;) to indicate sarcasm not flirtation :D

Great way to reduce inflammation within the body (as recommended by my nutritionist), alas, not a great way to reduce weight!
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think they just want motivation. It’s inspiring to hear how others did it.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Wow, I’ve only been asked this a couple of times but my assumptions are so different.

The person is being complimentary and is just chit chatting and I answer with ‘it has been hard work but just watching my intake and increasing exercise’. They are always just fine with that answer.

Or

The person is obviously struggling with their own weight and are actually asking ‘I find weight loss so hard, it looks like you have conquered it. Have you any help or wisdom to offer?’ And they are fine, but sad, when I give them the same answer.

Never got the eyes glaze over, but never go into any detail unless the other person continues. I guess I just see the question as an friendly ice breaker/chit chat and reply at that level. All good.

I agree with your approach. When it was first noticeable that I had lost a lot of weight I would get that question. I never went into detail. I would normally just say Nutrisystem. I found that most people are not really looking for every detail, that they are just curious. I have never found the question annoying though. If people are truly interested they will ask more questions. If they don't I leave it at that.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    Davidaw86 wrote: »
    Do some of those folks then tell you "You don't need to lose any more weight." It's a bit annoying when they feel they have the right to say something like that.

All the time, lol. It's really annoying.

I used to get that all the time also, but only from my mom and and family friend. It did not bother me though because I agreed with them.
  • OhMsDiva
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »
    Man..I feel like I’m a bit disappointed with these responses. In my experience, when people ask how I’ve lost weight, it’s sometimes because they’re reaching out for help, and the whole “eat less, exercise more” doesn’t cut it for me. I actually go into detail about what I eat, how much, how much/often I exercise, the mentality behind it, etc. I don’t think I could fathom just stating something so simple when I know for myself that a process went into it. Maybe most people are just..simplifying their responses based on time, but I’m definitely disappointed not to actually see more substance in this thread.

Yeah. In my case, every time I would go into detail, the person's eyes would glaze over and they stopped listening. They were most likely looking for some mystery magical fat loss miracle instead of the boring reality. So now I give a brief answer (it's math). If they're intrigued and want more info, I'll go into as much detail as they want!

that part
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I tell them I just pay attention to what the fork I'm eating.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Man..I feel like I’m a bit disappointed with these responses. In my experience, when people ask how I’ve lost weight, it’s sometimes because they’re reaching out for help, and the whole “eat less, exercise more” doesn’t cut it for me. I actually go into detail about what I eat, how much, how much/often I exercise, the mentality behind it, etc. I don’t think I could fathom just stating something so simple when I know for myself that a process went into it. Maybe most people are just..simplifying their responses based on time, but I’m definitely disappointed not to actually see more substance in this thread.

I have never once been asked this question by anyone who proved to be sincerely interested in the details of my regimen. They're looking for some trick or a magic bullet. It does no one any favors to pretend there's any other road to weight loss than CICO.

I'd say 1 out of 10 people who ask me, really seem to care. That's why I tend to just change the subject. I've noticed people take much more interest in a 250 lb woman or man who gets down to 230 lb in 1 month than they do in a 250 lb woman or man who gets down to say, 190 lb in a year. People are really stuck on instant gratification and they like to believe in fads and "superfoods". I think it's kind of like believing in Santa Claus.
    lol - Santa Claus for adults!! People really want to know the 'secret' don't they?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    quzy07 wrote: »
    JennG122 wrote: »
    I get told that I need to stop losing weight from people at work. My goal is to lose another 30 pounds, this would be considered a "healthy weight" for my height. I try not to pay attention to them because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

And Jenn, it's about your own journey to health so who are they to judge or critique that!? I think there is something a little warped with that thinking: we can politely refuse to comment on a large lady's physique, but have no filter when it comes to little ladies!

I have a young lady in my life that is very slim and tall. She has been stopped in line at McDonald's and told to eat more burgers because she looks too sick and anorexic. She has cried in my arms because of this. She eats ridiculous amounts of food and has trouble gaining. She has severe body image issues, but because she is so thin people think they have the right to comment. It's just plain sad.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I get asked but it's awkward because I'm BMI 18.5 and dropping because I have severe gastroparesis and Crohn's and can't eat much at all
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    quzy07 wrote: »
    JennG122 wrote: »
    I get told that I need to stop losing weight from people at work. My goal is to lose another 30 pounds, this would be considered a "healthy weight" for my height. I try not to pay attention to them because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

And Jenn, it's about your own journey to health so who are they to judge or critique that!? I think there is something a little warped with that thinking: we can politely refuse to comment on a large lady's physique, but have no filter when it comes to little ladies!

I have a young lady in my life that is very slim and tall. She has been stopped in line at McDonald's and told to eat more burgers because she looks too sick and anorexic. She has cried in my arms because of this. She eats ridiculous amounts of food and has trouble gaining. She has severe body image issues, but because she is so thin people think they have the right to comment. It's just plain sad.

Quite honestly, I just cannot understand how people (strangers) somehow feel they have a right to judge another person. If you are going to be rude to me, don't go all big-eyed when I'm rude right back to you!

So sorry for your friend.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Random person: How did you lose so much weights.
    Me: Ate healthy, lowered calories & exercise
    RP: no really, what diet plan?
    Me: Eat fewer calories than I use a day.
    RP: I'm serious, what's your secret? What diet we're you following
    Me: EAT LESS, MOVE MORE?
    RP: Why are you lying? I just want to know what you did, so I can do the same.
    Me: (In absolute frustration) The Krispy Kreme & egg yolk diet.
    RP: Thanks! I'll look into that.

Once I answered "Ate less and exercised", and the guy who asked insisted that this couldn't possibly ever work.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Random person: How did you lose so much weights.
    Me: Ate healthy, lowered calories & exercise
    RP: no really, what diet plan?
    Me: Eat fewer calories than I use a day.
    RP: I'm serious, what's your secret? What diet we're you following
    Me: EAT LESS, MOVE MORE?
    RP: Why are you lying? I just want to know what you did, so I can do the same.
    Me: (In absolute frustration) The Krispy Kreme & egg yolk diet.
    RP: Thanks! I'll look into that.

Hahaha! Too funny but so true!!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options

You are on point. To say.. i eat all i want..just less. is not true. i sure do not eat everything i want; i've cut out sugar, sodium,alcohol, and all processed foods. And there are times i want them..but i never give in becasue my health goals are more important.

or? the explanation.. 'i eat less and exercise more' is a general truth..but ..they want to know details; because they are interested.

i have changed everything about how i eat and think about food; and spend my time for that matter. It is a huge process to lose weight in our fat centered society. I think people who feel stuck want to find answers... and yes.. some want to hear that it was magic not hard long work. i understand not everyone wants to go into details.. but I don't vilify people for asking.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

You are on point. To say.. i eat all i want..just less. is not true. i sure do not eat everything i want; i've cut out sugar, sodium,alcohol, and all processed foods. And there are times i want them..but i never give in becasue my health goals are more important.

or? the explanation.. 'i eat less and exercise more' is a general truth..but ..they want to know details; because they are interested.

i have changed everything about how i eat and think about food; and spend my time for that matter. It is a huge process to lose weight in our fat centered society. I think people who feel stuck want to find answers... and yes.. some want to hear that it was magic not hard long work. i understand not everyone wants to go into details.. but I don't vilify people for asking.

This may have been what YOU did, but it's not what I did. I cut out absolutely nothing. I just ate less of it. "Eat less, exercise more" is the absolutely accurate description of how I lost weight.

And no one has ever shown the slightest interest in the details.

I should note that's not actually what you did either. Sodium is a vital nutrient; we cannot live without it. That's why we've evolved to like salty food. Sugar is also necessary, and most carbs are converted to sugars as they're digested. It's not actually possible to cut out either of those. Nor did you cut out processed foods, unless you eat everything raw. Cooking is a process, after all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!