Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Ability to download my own data is behind a paywall?!

bennym81bennym81 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
I'd just like to say that I find it extremely aggravating that, after years of logging meals and tracking my weight, MyFitnessPal requires me to pay for the "premium" service to download a CSV file of my own data.

This is my personal health data. I appreciate that you've provided a platform to store and present it. But, how dare you hold it ransom like this. I am disgusted.

Replies

• Reed039Reed039 Posts: 63Member Member Posts: 63Member Member
    You can download it as JSON from the reports menu.

E.g.: The following is your last years worth of weight data: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/results/progress/1/365.json?report_name=Weight&;

Only reports as CSV are paywalled, not JSON.
  • Reed039Reed039 Posts: 63Member Member Posts: 63Member Member
    Actually, for me, the JSON endpoint only went back about 2.5 months for some reason, for nutrition information (to 2/12).
    I found a work around to export CSV without Premium.
    Navigate to https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/export and use the following bookmarklet: https://pastebin.com/raw/2qJC5Vvz
  • socajamsocajam Posts: 3,026Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,026Member, Premium Member
    Instead of asking with such an accusory tone.
    Maybe your question should be : does anyone know how to download data from years ago without paying for premium.
    edited May 2018
  • gonmfgonmf Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    socajam wrote: »
    Maybe your question should be : does anyone know how to download data from years ago without paying for premium.

They deserve to be accused and shamed. Your personal data belongs to you, and it is illegal to withhold it in Europe at least. It is very dishonest of them to obscure and try to coerce users to pay to download their data. They are not an innocent little company that just didn't have time to develop the feature.
  • williamjwatsonwilliamjwatson Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    Worse news: They now plan to purge data older than two years for the free plan, as of November first (this Friday):
    https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034402872-The-free-version-of-the-diary-will-only-save-data-for-last-two-years

"Beginning Nov 1, 2019, MyFitnessPal users have a two year look-back on their diary data. While data older than two years will no longer be accessible (including food, exercise and water entries), you will continue to have the last two years of your diary entries. You will still have access to all other information on your account including your weight and other measurements logged.

Why are we doing this?
    At MyFitnessPal, we aim to provide you with the best possible tools and experiences to help you achieve your fitness goals. As part of that commitment, we’re constantly evaluating how our features are used and how often we’re updating them. This helps to determine which tools work the best for you so we can focus on building better features for you every day. This sometimes results in feature retirement or modification.

How can I have my diary continue to save old entries?
    If you’d like your diary to save entries that are older than two years, sign up for MyFitnessPal Premium prior to Nov 1, 2019. Check out MFP Premium for more information.

Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for some very exciting new features coming in the months ahead!"
  • williamjwatsonwilliamjwatson Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I found a tedious way to export the measurements data. Log in, go to Check-Ins, then Edit Previous Entries. That will show you ten entries at a time for whichever measurement you select. Copy & paste, then use editor macros to clean up the formatting.

A python script couold be written to automate that process.
  • socajamsocajam Posts: 3,026Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,026Member, Premium Member
    gonmf wrote: »
    socajam wrote: »

They deserve to be accused and shamed. Your personal data belongs to you, and it is illegal to withhold it in Europe at least. It is very dishonest of them to obscure and try to coerce users to pay to download their data. They are not an innocent little company that just didn't have time to develop the feature.

Did MFP reach out to you to join.
    You decided this was something that I may need and here you are.
    Maybe if you had an attitude adjustment, someone might respond to your question in a favorable manner.
    Until then keep on with the attitude and accusatory tone.