Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Working out and listening to AF videos -
    This one is from a young woman - probably in her 20s.
    https://youtu.be/VB5WyBeFc8U
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    ErynVee wrote: »
    Oh man! I hope this thread continues into June.

My husband and I are big craft beer drinkers and drink way too frequently. I believe this is the* major reason for my weight gain.

I have long wanted to abstain for longer periods to see how I feel. To have new habits and ways of relaxing and enjoying myself, but I've repeatedly fallen into these bad patterns over and over. This group seems perfect - just what I need.

Welcome. I think it is safe to say this thread will be reborn again in June.

There are many shades of moderation and temporary to permanent abstinence in this group. Whatever "less" means to you initially we will support.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I need this group right now. I am spiraling back to my pre-January ways :(
    Last week I had a bad weekend and I was determined to get on track, and Monday I did. Then I lost it again. I ate very unhealthy Tuesday through Sunday. Tue and Wed I had just two drinks each night, but that is two more than someone who is planning on only Saturday drinking should have. Thur, Fri and Sun I got completely trashed each night. Ironically Saturday is the only day I didnt drink ...
    In the first four months this year I have handled not drinking at work events very well. But this weekend there were two events and I got really out of control.

I have become very uncharacteristic of the new me I’ve become so proud of. And honestly I feel like I’ve behaved even worse than I used to in my old ways ...

Here is to hoping all of your inspirational stories can get me back on the right path

I suggest u need a holiday. Somewhere u can get away and refocus for a few days until u can get string again .. just a suggestion.. hope u feel better soon..!(=
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @jecky74 - Wow, that is a fantastic accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself! I managed a dry January, and it's an amazing feeling. You have a lot more confidence that alcohol is something you have control over.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @erikNJ - very sorry you're struggling. Many hugs to you. I cannot do any better than the great thoughts @JulieAL1969 has passed on, but thinking of you. I think we have all gone through these dark, out-of-control periods and it's no fun. You've gotten control of this before and you will do it again.
  • Trinkwasser
    Trinkwasser Posts: 19 Member
    Also I agree with all the comments here, it’s a complicated journey. We need to reach out for support, whether it be this community or individual therapy and groups-but yes sometimes You just have to hibernate for a while in the beginning to get through the initial tough part. And ultimately the relationship we have with ourselves will be our strength or our downfall. I have been such a home body, I went out for the first time in almost 2 months a few days ago. I was terrified, but it went well. I will slowly ease back into social interactions I feel are safe for me. I want to invite anyone on here to friend me and message me any time, even if you’re not sober, or you feel like you failed in some way..I’m here to talk to. It helps me as well. Sending strength and hugs to all of you today!
  • Trinkwasser
    Went to the therapist yesterday just for a mental tune up. What is amazing about seeing a therapist is she never gives your advice or answers. But as you talk , you start to formulate your own solutions to problems. I also told her how proud I am about my AF lifestyle. I said if I was talking to you six months ago, I would have saying how much of a problem I have moderating. Fast forward to today, i was able to tell her about this wonderful thread and how we are all people working together and learning from each other.
    If any of you have thought about going to therapy, I recommend it. But you may have to look around for the right one.
    My last therapist scared me; she was like my mother. And so I decided to stop going to her, because I was nervous everytime I went.
    This new one was a younger lady and she seem non-judgemental and calm.
    Bottom line: it's so nice to be able to speak your deepest thoughts to someone impartial. This thread is like that. We dont judge. And I find it so liberating to hear your stories and grow from your experiences.
    Went to the therapist yesterday just for a mental tune up. What is amazing about seeing a therapist is she never gives your advice or answers. But as you talk , you start to formulate your own solutions to problems. I also told her how proud I am about my AF lifestyle. I said if I was talking to you six months ago, I would have saying how much of a problem I have moderating. Fast forward to today, i was able to tell her about this wonderful thread and how we are all people working together and learning from each other.
    If any of you have thought about going to therapy, I recommend it. But you may have to look around for the right one.
    My last therapist scared me; she was like my mother. And so I decided to stop going to her, because I was nervous everytime I went.
    Bottom line: it's so nice to be able to speak your deepest thoughts to someone impartial. This thread is like that. We dont judge. And I find it so liberating to hear your stories and grow from your experiences.

• Trinkwasser
    @JulieAL1969 I can totally relate to this! I actually look forward to seeing my psychotherapist. It’s the best.