May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Look... just because that 1 time, some terrorists who were not even runners entered in the race decided to do something terrible, 1 time... it suddenly became unsafe for runners in a race to have backpacks?!

1 time. I'm not trying to minimize the severity, but this isn't exactly a pattern of technique.

This.

I do large races (rock n roll, thousands of runners and huge spectators) and they allow vests.

*kitten* I did Pat's run the weekend after Boston and they almost didn't allow vests but decided to say no backpacks on spectators. There was a ton of police and county officers and k9 present for it. It was surreal.

It's a cop out to cite "safety concerns" and we all go along with it but a vest is really no different from a fanny or waist pack.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited May 2018
    For anyone that may not know Pat's run is for Pat Tilman and a HUGE deal in Phoenix. Pat Tilman was an ASU football player who then played for the Cardinals and voluntarily joined the military after 9/11. He was eventually shot and killled by friendly fire. So the race is done as close to 4/20 ( he was #42) as possible which landed the Saturday after the Boston bombings that year.

Honestly it was difficult to even go that year. I dedicated my run/bib to Boston that year and had tears ending at the 42 yard line of sundevil stadium. It's a race that brings out everyone.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    May 2018

Goal: 220 km

01 May – 06.0 km
    04 May – 32.0 km in the rain + bee sting
    05 May – 05.0 km parkrun 28:58
    06 May – 09.4 km Sunday Social Run
    08 May – 14.1 km
    09 May – 17.6 km
    12 May – 10.0 km including parkrun 26:59
    14 May – 12.0 km
    15 May – 10 km 58:12
    18 May – 38.1 km!!!!!!!!
    19 May – 03.0 km
    21 May – 06.0 km
    22 May – 06.0 km faster
    24 May - 06.5 km intervals
    25 May – 26.0 km
    27 May – 10.0 km
    28 May – 10.7 km
    29 May – 11.0 km
    30 May -12.1 km

Total: 245.3 km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @PastorVincent How's your leg?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    @PastorVincent How's your leg?

Thank you for asking. It feels a little better this morning. Was really odd. Wish I knew what I did so I could not do it again. :) Might try to run this afternoon pending how close the temps get to THREE DIGITS again. Grr.
  • PastorVincent
    The nice thing about a short run is that I can get out early and get it done before I even wake up the kids :) I ran 4.2k at around half-marathon pace, and that will probably be it for the month, as I feel like I should give myself a couple rest days before the half marathon on Saturday. I don't plan to run it hard - just to have fun and do my best for where I'm at on that day.

That is the best attitude for every race. :)
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    4.5km is yesterday, wasn't really feeling it. Rest day today and maybe tomorrow, I've just been feeling beat. Of course this is the most I've run I months so that could be why.
    MTD 57.9km/40km
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    tempo run this am. I was suppose to do a speed workout but I postponed that until tomorrow. Almost had a rest day but I forced myself out of bed and managed to get in 6. Should have just gone easy but I pushed it a little.

img
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I haven't run since Saturday. Aside from recovery/injury, I can't tell you the last time I went three days in a row without running, just because of life happening. It feels good. And it doesn't feel good. I was hoping to get in a trail run today, but the weather forecast is for severe thunderstorms, so I am not sure how that is going to pan out. One way or another, some running will be happening this evening.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    stupid peroneal tendonitis and hypersomnia and myalgia
    too bad yard work doesn't count. :wink:

5/1-0mi
    5/2-0mi
    5/3-0mi
    5/4-0mi (but we hiked 4+mi)
    5/5-13.13 mi
    5/6-1.78 mi (5+mi hike+porcupine)
    5/7-0mi
    5/8-0mi
    5/9-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/10-maybe get a few in tonight, getting itchy. outer ankles still hurt
    5/11-stupid ankle
    5/12-0mi (2 hours of aerial yoga)
    5/13-1.9mi rough run.
    5/14-nope-lawn mowed
    5/15-3.06 mi
    5/16-1.2mi (2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/17- (1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/18-rest
    5/19-(2 hours aerial yoga)
    5/20-5.2mi lots of rain
    5/21-rest
    5/22-push mower lawn mowed
    5/23-1.51 mi(1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/24-(1 hour aerial yoga)
    5/25-maybe
    5/26-1.21mi (4 hours of aerial yoga/aerial hoop)
    5/27-1.42mi
    5/28-3.17mi (forgot water so cut the run short. i might have been able to keep going but the dogs needed water
    5/29-2mi
    5/30(1 hour aerial yoga)

exercise.png

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Look... just because that 1 time, some terrorists who were not even runners entered in the race decided to do something terrible, 1 time... it suddenly became unsafe for runners in a race to have backpacks?!

1 time. I'm not trying to minimize the severity, but this isn't exactly a pattern of technique.

For the same reason we all take off our shoes before anyone is allowed on an airplane.
  • PastorVincent

For the same reason we all take off our shoes before anyone is allowed on an airplane.

I do not take off my shoes and I bypass most of the security line due to my "Global Entry Card"

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

If you fly more than 0 times a year, it is so worth it.
  • RunsOnEspresso

I do not take off my shoes and I bypass most of the security line due to my "Global Entry Card"

Yah I keep meaning to get that.
  • PastorVincent

Yah I keep meaning to get that.

Last two times I flew it was 15 minutes from entering the airport to the gate. It is a major time/headache saver.