Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    And at that point, does it matter anyway?

Only one guarantee in life - nobody gets out alive.

And healthy nutrients can be the one that killed you. I don't know about every vitamin or mineral but I do know that some of them at very high levels can be toxic and fatal. I remember as a kid having these sweet flavored vitamin C tablets that ended up making me very sick because I had too many.

Similar to your island scenario I have known some people who jumped into veganism and were essentially starving themselves because they did not properly understand the mechanics of nutrition and how to get it on their new lifestyle.

As much as we praise protein you can die from too much protein if you don't have any fat which as I recall was discovered when some people have tried to live off of only rabbits.

It just seems the more I look around and use a modicum of common sense that moderation has always been the key.

Arsenic is actually required in our diets in trace amounts. In typical diets you get something like 12-40ug per day.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

And healthy nutrients can be the one that killed you. I don't know about every vitamin or mineral but I do know that some of them at very high levels can be toxic and fatal. I remember as a kid having these sweet flavored vitamin C tablets that ended up making me very sick because I had too many.

Similar to your island scenario I have known some people who jumped into veganism and were essentially starving themselves because they did not properly understand the mechanics of nutrition and how to get it on their new lifestyle.

As much as we praise protein you can die from too much protein if you don't have any fat which as I recall was discovered when some people have tried to live off of only rabbits.

It just seems the more I look around and use a modicum of common sense that moderation has always been the key.

Arsenic is actually required in our diets in trace amounts. In typical diets you get something like 12-40ug per day.

An Apple a day :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

An Apple a day :)

Hmmmm cyanide is tasty :tongue:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited May 2018
    nettiklive wrote: »
    McDonalds fries have around 15 other ingredients except for potato, oil and salt.
    So what? More ingredients = evil?

We all know what the evil sodium bicarbonate from those fast food restaurants will do to you.....
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Beep beep!!

This has triggered me. I can't get that beep beep out of my head!
    I ended up burnt to a crisp , mangled and squished. All to the fault of the acme corporation. A simple device was marketed to me to catch a roadrunner but I ended up getting my body scarred and burnt , limbs busted and my pride clobbered.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Beep beep!!

I ended up burnt to a crisp , mangled and squished. All to the fault of the acme corporation. A simple device was marketed to me to catch a roadrunner but I ended up getting my body scarred and burnt , limbs busted and my pride clobbered.

On a hike a few weeks ago, I saw a roadrunner and then a coyote. It made giggle. Beep beep.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Beep beep!!

On a hike a few weeks ago, I saw a roadrunner and then a coyote. It made giggle. Beep beep.

Sorry I Couldn't stop to chat. I was chasing that stinker( the roadrunner) while dodging a person hunting me. They pulled up in a rover and then started wandering around the park aimlessly with a stick and a rock . At first I thought it was a bear Grylls fan club member so I wasn't too worried ( they never catch anything) but then he started swinging that stick about so I had to go!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »

BTW, this thread is extremely entertaining, especially when read with cocktails.

That's often the best way to read the MFP forums.

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    Just saw this thread and clicked in because it can be an interesting debate. But then I saw no Doritos or Cheetos. That made me sad. Life without Doritos and Cheetos is sadness. :( Can we add in Fritos? Those end in os and are made of corn too. Fritos scoops with salsa. Yes, please. :tongue:

Kidding aside, I think it's pretty hard to be 100% "natural" with the foods we eat today. Almost everything is processed to a degree, so it's a matter of choosing what you like. If it works for you and you enjoy it, great. If not, don't eat or drink it. :)