Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited June 2018
    Processed industrial foods for me, please!
    (In moderation, of course. Oh, and extra sugar with that, please)

www.livescience.com/62689-otzi-iceman-mummy-heart-disease.html
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Since this thread is still going on, I had a question because many knowledgeable users posted here.

Is there such thing as "I have a fast metabolism" and "My metabolism sucks" - I end up getting fat even if I eat little bit of extra? I've heard many people say this but I've been always iffy about it because I didn't know anything so I just keep my mouth shut.

Also, some say I have "good genetics" -what do they mean when they say that? In regards to fitness and all- just providing context.
  • vm007
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    vm007 wrote: »
    Since this thread is still going on, I had a question because many knowledgeable users posted here.

Is there such thing as "I have a fast metabolism" and "My metabolism sucks" - I end up getting fat even if I eat little bit of extra? I've heard many people say this but I've been always iffy about it because I didn't know anything so I just keep my mouth shut.

Also, some say I have "good genetics" -what do they mean when they say that? In regards to fitness and all- just providing context.

Here's a video on "slow metabolism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLwzbvx4S4

WOW I don't know why but I found this so funny and I laughed more than I should've
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Here's a video on "slow metabolism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLwzbvx4S4

WOW I don't know why but I found this so funny and I laughed more than I should've

In short there is going to be some variation, but not nearly as much as some people would like to believe. People who are "naturally thin" or have a "high metabolism" likely move more that others realize, or eat less than others realize. You might see your thin friend eating a large meal, but maybe that's the only thing he/she has eaten all day, or maybe they walk more, fidget more, take the stairs at work. You just don't know without being with that person all the time.

Of course, there are medical conditions which can alter the equation.

If you want to jump down a YouTube rabbit hole, watch "Secret Eaters."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member

This also has some good insights, if you haven't seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoRh5-gCCrc

It's undeniable that some of us burn more or fewer calories than others of the same height/weight/age/etc., but "metabolism" (i.e., some aspect of basal metabolic rate (BMR)) is one of the least likely sources of that variation.

This article, from a generally-respected, science-oriented site, gives an overview of the question, and includes some references:

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • vm007
    Basically , there is no definitive answer. However, when they say -"fast or slow" they may either be eating more or less than they think they did. Or moving more or less than they thought.

Btw - wouldn't someone with more "muscle" actually have higher caloric requirements than someone at the same height, body weight, age and what not? so in essence they would have higher maintenance requirement and that in itself could be misunderstood as faster metabolism -yeah?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Basically , there is no definitive answer. However, when they say -"fast or slow" they may either be eating more or less than they think they did. Or moving more or less than they thought.

Btw - wouldn't someone with more "muscle" actually have higher caloric requirements than someone at the same height, body weight, age and what not? so in essence they would have higher maintenance requirement and that in itself could be misunderstood as faster metabolism -yeah?

There's an effect, though maybe not as big as you might think. Daily activity and exercise can easily overcome the difference.

If you use the Katch McCardle TDEE formula body fat percentage is taken into account. For two average males at the same height and weight and activity level, but a 5% difference in body fat, the one with less body fat would have a higher TDEE by maybe 60-80 calories/day. It's a measurable difference, but easily overcome by other factors.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Think about all the older generation living into their hundreds .. they survived when there wasn’t things like “gluten free” “vegans” “lactose free” etc they ate whatever they could afford .. it’s only in the last ... 20 years or so (random guess) that I would say the world has become health and fitness mad. Like .. literally mad, food is food .. it all contains some form of chemical, it all has some form of negative side effect or someone somewhere is allergic to it. Just eat what you want?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Think about all the older generation living into their hundreds .. they survived when there wasn’t things like “gluten free” “vegans” “lactose free” etc they ate whatever they could afford .. it’s only in the last ... 20 years or so (random guess) that I would say the world has become health and fitness mad. Like .. literally mad, food is food .. it all contains some form of chemical, it all has some form of negative side effect or someone somewhere is allergic to it. Just eat what you want?

The older people that we see today are the survivors of their generations. People have suffered untimely deaths and failed to reach old age for all of human history so I'm not sure what looking at the (relatively few) people who reach the age of 100+ is supposed to demonstrate to us.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

If this actually were the case, obesity rates (especially in pre-teens, teenagers and young adults) wouldn't be skyrocketing as they have been in the last 20 years. Part of the problem is that the majority of adults and children are way more sedentary now than they were a generation or two ago. Add in the availability and relative inexpense of high-calorie, extremely palatable food and, combined with inactivity, you have the combo for rampant obesity. :(
  • Mandylou19912014

The older people that we see today are the survivors of their generations. People have suffered untimely deaths and failed to reach old age for all of human history so I'm not sure what looking at the (relatively few) people who reach the age of 100+ is supposed to demonstrate to us.

Indeed they have survived .. which is my point. If it was so vital for us to eat as strictly as some of us do then we wouldn’t have many people around that live past 70. I think the world has made these health phases more of a trend .. it’s fashionable to be vegan, fashionable to be gluten free (unless you do suffer from coeliac disease)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Indeed they have survived .. which is my point. If it was so vital for us to eat as strictly as some of us do then we wouldn’t have many people around that live past 70. I think the world has made these health phases more of a trend .. it’s fashionable to be vegan, fashionable to be gluten free (unless you do suffer from coeliac disease)

They did survive, lots of their peers are dead. They are the minority. To conclude on that basis that our dietary and fitness choices are meaningless doesn't make sense.

Studies show that there are dietary and activity patterns that are associated with better health outcomes and longer lives.

You seem to be arguing that there are a set number of people who will live past 70 and there's nothing we can do to alter that. On a population level, we *can* alter the average life span. A portion of that is beyond the control of individuals, but a portion of it is related to choices around diet, activity, and body weight.
  • Mandylou19912014

If this actually were the case, obesity rates (especially in pre-teens, teenagers and young adults) wouldn't be skyrocketing as they have been in the last 20 years. Part of the problem is that the majority of adults and children are way more sedentary now than they were a generation or two ago. Add in the availability and relative inexpense of high-calorie, extremely palatable food and, combined with inactivity, you have the combo for rampant obesity. :(

Yeah it feels like a lot of people do abuse the food we have, if everyone learned to move more and eat moderately then it would help tackle the obesity crisis
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I don’t know if overindulgence is abuse per se.

I also don’t think the issue is related to lack of learning. If anything we are bombarded with information of varying quality.

I think overindulgence is a result of ready accessibility and bad habits.