Elevated Liver Enzymes

Options
2»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Too many people with thyroid issues are told "their tsh, t4's, numbers are good" there is a tendency to assume, (doctors this is) if the t4 is good so will the t3 be. Its the t3 which is the workhorse of the thyroid crew. T4 need to be converted by one iodine atom being removed from the set to make t3, if one has the required gene sequence, the right minerals, zinc/selenium etc then you will have t3 if not then the t3 can be made in reverse or not at all and the active t3 is lacking. Our cells have something like a three pin plug and need t3 to be the right way about.

Please try reading from, Stop the thyroid Madness, or Hypothyroidmom, thyroid UK though other countries have their own support sites. there is so much more to being hypothyroid than being hypo, please do your own reading and look for another doctor or health system if you can.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LisaMax75 wrote: »
    I have high AST enzymes - just AST, not ALT. Dr ran all sorts of tests and can't figure it out. Especially since it is just one enzyme and they usually go in pairs. I've always wondered about my thyroid but my TSH is normal so no one will run other tests.

My AST was elevated on my last metabolic panel and the ALT was normal too. Dr. is not concerned but suggested I limit my alcohol to no more than 3 per week until the next time labs are due which will be in January.
  • luvmakidz
    luvmakidz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LisaMax75 wrote: »
    I have high AST enzymes - just AST, not ALT. Dr ran all sorts of tests and can't figure it out. Especially since it is just one enzyme and they usually go in pairs. I've always wondered about my thyroid but my TSH is normal so no one will run other tests.

I saw the doctor today, she said the ALT/AST can go up for any reason, not to worry if it's not too high. She ran some ultra specific blood test for the liver just in case though.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have blood work every year. My SGOT and other liver readings are occasionally elevated. My Dr. told me being overweight can itself cause this, since it can disturb liver function.
    I was also advised to avoid OTC painkillers a couple of days before blood work, especially acetaminophen. (Tylenol)
  • luvmakidz
    luvmakidz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    I have blood work every year. My SGOT and other liver readings are occasionally elevated. My Dr. told me being overweight can itself cause this, since it can disturb liver function.
    I was also advised to avoid OTC painkillers a couple of days before blood work, especially acetaminophen. (Tylenol)

Ronnymack do you think NSAIDS would elevate them too?
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If your endocrinologist isn't worried and you don't have any symptoms, why are you worried? I don't mean to sound flip but it's pretty normal to have a random off reading outside of the 'normal range.' The reason it's a range in the first place is because there is not one single acceptable value, of course people are going to occasionally fall outside of that range while still being perfectly healthy.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My first dog had bad hip dysplasia (genetic). Was told by a vet that he wouldn't live very long it was so bad. Had to live his last few years on steroids, which are terrible for dogs too. I had heard of Astaxanthin years ago because I had done some technical recruiting on algae start-ups when they were supposed to be the next big thing for biofuels. Turns out other products that are made from algae are way more profitable than biofuel, Astaxanthin being one of them.

I gave this dog on steroids Astaxanthin. All I can say is that our vets were stunned at his liver enzyme counts. They told me that he had the best liver they had ever seen on steroids. He lived a full life until he passed at 12. Only right at the end did his liver counts change.

Years later (my dog passed in 2014), studies started coming out about just how promising Astaxanthin is for liver enzymes/liver protection. There's a ton of studies on it now. It's a fairly cheap supplement that also pairs well with Omega 3s for pain relief. That's essentially what Krill Oil is -- Omega3 with Astaxanthin, which naturally occurs in Krill Oil. I like to take them separately because they are stronger that way. Ask your doc but all it is is a very powerful carotenoid, by far the strongest (more than lutein, beta carotene or Zeaxanthin).

Here's a bunch of studies on it. Look at the one on the right showing "Astaxanthin as a Potential Protector of Liver Function".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=astaxanthin+liver