Intermittent fasting

13»

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    I love it! I fluctuate between 18-20 hours fasting. I'm not using a scale but measurements instead because of body recomposition. As recommended by most IF experts, I do not count calories.

Serious question - why would they recommend NOT counting calories?
    I understand some people might not need to count when doing IF, because it naturally keeps them in a deficit, but what's the harm in counting?

I ahve done 5:2 for some time...and I'm counting calories as well :)
    From I what I read, the reason they recommend no counting calories is that you're supposed to get a healthy relationsship with food after a while so you'll naturally eat less.
    Not sure how long "after a while" is, but the first time I did 5:2 for three months with very little result - due to me overeating on not fasting days.
    This time i log and count and It's going much better- I have a slow but steady weight less without feeling I "diet". I do it purely to balance the weekend calories, but I'm still looking forward to my fast days- especially monday, as I feel it relaxes me a bit after a weekend where I usually go out friday and saturday
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    It took me a minute to wrap my head around it but caloric deficit is not how IF works. It is the fasting period that brings your insulin levels low. Those lower insulin levels allow your body to burn the readily available energy in your liver and in time, move on to your fat stores. So basically weight loss happens when the fasting magic happens. That's when you naturally move into Ketosis and all the energy comes from burning fat. When your window is open and you eat, you eat until you are satisfied. Jason Fung, MD, argues that long term caloric deficit actually reduces your metabolic rate because your body knows you are eating less and adjusts accordingly.

What do you think happens to the food you eat in ketosis?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Long-time IFer, here. 16-8. Been doing it for decades, even before it was a 'thing' and had a name.

I got overweight with IF.

I then lost 75 lbs with IF.

It makes no difference *when* you eat your food. The only difference is how much of it you eat.

• Sbrown73044
    Sbrown73044 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am new to all this. i have never diet never exercised never counted calories. I started this past week. I am only eating between 2pm and 10pm. is this 16:8? also excersize everyday. I have cut out sugar and limiting what and how much I eat when I do eat. is this right, any tips? Sundays i eat what and when I want, all within reason, also no excersize this day. i also don't understand counting, adding, and subtracting calories.
  • derk123c
    derk123c Posts: 2 Member
    I currently do 18:6 with my work/workout schedule but switch to 16:8 the week before OCR (obstacle course races) due to taper. I have been doing it for roughly 8 weeks now with a couple days of lax eating but not too much overeating. I have a ton more energy because of the ACTUAL food I am eating...isn't the crappy high carb high sugar items I used to. It does take about 1 to 2 weeks to get your body adjusted to though!
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    I started doing at 16:8 a little over a week ago. It was a little challenging at first for me. I have very strange work hours. I am up at 330am and go to be at around 9. I normally eat dinner at around 5. So to get my 16 in, I can’t eat until 9 am. Being up so early, and halfway through the work at that point, I was pretty hungry. But I have gotten used to it now. I just short of three weeks, I have lost 10 pounds. 3 pounds a week the first two weeks, and 4 the last ( week I was doing IF). I find myself eating fewer calories. I am not really prone to snacking, just large meals, and that was my down fall before. However, cutting out breakfast has made it possible for me to have a larger “family” meal for dinner, while still eating very light at lunch. I am able to still keep a really good deficit, and fell full all night. So, for right now it’s working. If I ever reach a point where I’m really hungry in the morning or after, I probably won’t do it any more. For now, it’s working though.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    I'm not an IF'r but I see the purpose of IF. It is a very useful method of planning your intake for the day (or week, or month). Now that I've said that...the whole deal is still CICO (calories in calories out). However you hit your deficit is up to you, and more power to you if you find something you enjoy.

• MsDivaDoll
    MsDivaDoll Posts: 1 Member
    I just started using "Body Fast' app and it has a varied eating schedule. I love the variety after two weeks I plan on switching to 16:8. Feel free to add me and follow along! Happy fasting everyone!