Is the idea that we should gain just a little as we age a fallacy?

Options
124»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/bmi-and-survival-in-older-people/

An interesting response from the NHS here...

I have seen that. It is one reason my goal was to get into the normal BMI range but not way in. I want to stay below 25 but above 23. I am 24.2 right now.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have worked with the elderly off and on for years. It's kind of strange, but the over weigjt, not obese tend to do better. They maintain muscle mass and seem to have an easier time. The super slim and massively obese don't usually do to well.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @paperpudding Who needs a machine to lift someone who weighs 120#? I helped my mom get up and she weighed maybe 130#. No problem and no machines or cherry pickers.
    @SummerSkier Woo Hoo!

Seriously folks, I am just shy of normal BMI and my doctor is ok with it. I am 59 and in pretty damn good health. I suppose if I were to be diagnosed with some weight-loss inducing disease tomorrow, I could out eat it as could most of us here.
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd say for the majority, men included, our bodies are less forgiving as we get older. We can't just feed our body endless empty calories and expect it to carry on like we are in our twenties. But, to answer the original question, that doesn't mean it isn't a problem if we gain weight. We can't take health for granted as we age. We need to work at it by trying to eat healthily and exercising.

For the record, when I was in my 20's I could eat whatever I wanted and had a BMI of underweight. By my late 20's I had a normal BMI and in my mid 30's I was overweight. By my early 40's I was obese. So underweight to very overweight in two decades! I'm now back to a normal weight through being careful about what I eat.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I dropped almost 5 pounds last month. I was not trying to do so but: stomach flu ( or food poisoning- we never did determine) two 10 day courses of antibiotics, and traumatic dental work all happened that last month.

It got me thinking. My body has typically reacted to physical trauma by dropping weight. Surgeries, twisted ankles, broken finger, and even long airplane travel etc. typically mean I shed some pounds.

I do not assume this is true for anyone other than myself, but after thinking about how my body reacts to things - I think staying mid to high NORMAL BMI might be a good idea for me. (53 yo shorter woman currently at high end of normal BMI)
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I don’t know if I can express this in words well enough to make clear what I am trying to suggest, but I will try.

Many here are saying that one reason people gain as they age is because they become less active. But, as you age you become less active because you are aging. I’m talking about age 70+.

It sounds funny to me to blame it on the person, rather than the age.

At 53, I don’t feel the same level of energy I felt at age 20. I get tired. Working an 8 hour day 5 days a week is difficult, and I very much feel the toll on my body. At 25, I could go to work all day, go out after work and do a bunch of stuff, get home, sleep and do it again. Now, all I can do is work. After work, doing stuff is a grind. I need to relax for a while, catch my breathe, or chill. Doing things after a work day are pretty much out.

Maybe I misunderstood what some are saying here. But, just wanted to suggest that the aging process itself causes the inactivity, not the other way around. An active person will slow down with age. A power lifter might continue lifting into their 70’s but likely need much more rest time.

Somewhat to the point made by @JerSchmare, being active at 60 means something very different to me than it did at 30, 40 or even 50. At 40, I could and did run a 9 minute mile and regularly cycled 100k. Now, at 60, I am quite happy with an 11 minute mile and 50k bike rides. This is partially due to having less energy, but just as much my reluctance to spend the time it takes to maintain that level of fitness. While I am grateful that my health is such that I can continue to be active, at 60, I am much more selective about the way I spend precious time.

With regard to weight loss/maintaining weight, for many years I attributed a 30ish pound weight gain to age and menopause. It was only when I was brutally honest with myself about the food and beverages I was consuming regularly, did it become apparent that CI far exceeded CO. I was able to lose that weight - with about 5 or so vanity pounds to go. Those last 5 pounds are a challenge, but again, if I am honest with myself, my actually CI versus CO doesn't support weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    @paperpudding Who needs a machine to lift someone who weighs 120#? I helped my mom get up and she weighed maybe 130#. No problem and no machines or cherry pickers.
    @SummerSkier Woo Hoo!

Seriously folks, I am just shy of normal BMI and my doctor is ok with it. I am 59 and in pretty damn good health. I suppose if I were to be diagnosed with some weight-loss inducing disease tomorrow, I could out eat it as could most of us here.

Yes you could help your mum get up - that isnt the same as full lifting of someone who is a 'dead weight' because of major stroke or similar.

You also are not doing it repeatedly, like staff in nursing homes who lift many people and you do not have to adhere to OHS standards as staff do

So, yes, lifting machines are used on people who weigh 120lb. - certainly happens when I worked in nursing homes for over 20 years.