Halo Top is deceptive???

Options
13»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of him in Shop Rite today. Halo Top is in an end cap freezer and as you walk by, you can't help but have your eye grabbed by... the big honking calorie count on the label. Seriously, it stands out in the freezer case. I can't understand how there's a case to be made out of this. You'd think the name of the product was "240" from a distance or something.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Really? The dumba** couldn’t have just returned it? I like the Enlightened best in pints. But if you’re really low on calories, the Arctic Zero Vanilla maple ain’t bad. 140 cals for the whole pint.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Halo Top gives me gas. Even the dairy-free kind. Makes me sad. And smells bad.
    Knew it was too good to be true. Still ate the whole pint to “test the theory” :D
    I blame no one except my wishful thinking :'(
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Lol Halo Top is too sweet for me! I'd rather stick to fruits instead, but an occasional spot of ice cream couldn't hurt every now and then ;).
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I like the mint chocolate and the birthday cake.

Better than artic zero. Had one tub and it just wasn't good. I need to give the breyers flavors a shot. To see if they've got a better grip on the texture problem.

I mean I totally get that Halo top isn't ice cream and there's some compromises in texture, but It just wasn't right.

And regards the lawsuit. Seriously? It's 2-3 times the price of B&J's. Might want to take a really close look before spending that kind of money.
    Arctic Zero tastes like frozen tears of human sadness. Actually, if you can find Enlightened in pints, it's even better than Halo Top IMO.

I'm here to second this. Enlightened is the best low cal pint. I won't even touch Halo Top anymore.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    Gotta admit that the stuff tastes like *kittens* though... maybe worth suing for PTSD caused by trying to eat the stuff

The cookie dough is really good

I bought some today. It was actually in my small town grocery. And yes, the cookie dough was good. But, I went home and compared it to a “regular) tub of full cream, full sugar ice cream: 10 less calories per 1/2cup, 4gm less carbs, 3gm more protein. I can’t remember the fat because I don’t care. For those very tiny differences I will just eat the “regular” maple caramel swirl I bought for the kids. Halo top tasted fine but not worth the $$$.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have a genuine question, why do people choose Halo Top over other ice creams? Light ice creams have been around for ages and some are pretty good, and they're usually cheaper. Slightly higher in calories, but is the difference really worth it? I sometimes get a light ice cream that's 90-100 calories per serving, tastes like regular ice cream but lighter, and costs less than a dollar. Is it the protein?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a genuine question, why do people choose Halo Top over other ice creams? Light ice creams have been around for ages and some are pretty good, and they're usually cheaper. Slightly higher in calories, but is the difference really worth it? I sometimes get a light ice cream that's 90-100 calories per serving, tastes like regular ice cream but lighter, and costs less than a dollar. Is it the protein?

For me as a diabetic it's the difference between a tiny serving of not very good ice cream and no ice cream. Yes, partly the protein, but also the lack of sugar and carbs. I can manage about 45g of carbs in a meal, but I'm not willing to devote an entire meal to dessert, so I keep my treats about 15g. Other light ice creams I have tried tasted vile.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I get it for easier portion control for myself. If I get a larger icecream I'll eat the whole thing. Ice cream is my weakness. The only light ice cream in pints in my area are plain vanilla or chocolate.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I get it for easier portion control for myself. If I get a larger icecream I'll eat the whole thing. Ice cream is my weakness. The only light ice cream in pints in my area are plain vanilla or chocolate.

That makes sense. Since plain vanilla is my favorite ice cream anyway I've never thought about this. Usually I just get regular ice cream or make my own, but when I'm really out of calories I get a single serving pack of light. Ice cream is more often sold in single serving packs here. You would have search around to find anything larger. That's probably why I've never had a problem with the serving size, because a single serving is what I've always had.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

That makes sense. Since plain vanilla is my favorite ice cream anyway I've never thought about this. Usually I just get regular ice cream or make my own, but when I'm really out of calories I get a single serving pack of light. Ice cream is more often sold in single serving packs here. You would have search around to find anything larger. That's probably why I've never had a problem with the serving size, because a single serving is what I've always had.

If I had self control I'd buy 1/2 gallon blue bell. Maybe after I go into maintenance.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Better than artic zero. Had one tub and it just wasn't good. I need to give the breyers flavors a shot. To see if they've got a better grip on the texture problem.

I mean I totally get that Halo top isn't ice cream and there's some compromises in texture, but It just wasn't right.

And regards the lawsuit. Seriously? It's 2-3 times the price of B&J's. Might want to take a really close look before spending that kind of money.

You should try Enlightened ice cream. Same concept with the low calorie count, though I do find their consistency creamier. Slightly less protein per serving than Halo Top. The Bananas Foster flavor is my fav with Movie Theater Popcorn my second.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Don't know where you are but where I live b&j ice cream is £4.99 halo top is £5.00

Last time I bought B&J it was around $2. HT is 5-6.

In our mid-sized midwestern city HT and B&J are typically the same price.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    LOL, I have to eat the real deal cant eat stuff like this, I've tried diet and reduced calorie/fat and carb products most are just gross.

Wonder what he thought the big numbers on the front represented. Sounds like a person who's looking for a pay day and may just be sue happy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    angelsja wrote: »

Don't know where you are but where I live b&j ice cream is £4.99 halo top is £5.00

Last time I bought B&J it was around $2. HT is 5-6.

In our mid-sized midwestern city HT and B&J are typically the same price.

Just checked, and Halo Top is about 50 cents more at my grocery store -- $4.99 vs. $5.49.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Stupid people like this is why this nation can't have nice things anymore. The babyboomers have given rise to generations of morons who need warnings on everything.