Vegan Bodybuilders - where you at?

2»

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm not vegan but try to eat plant-based as default. I am a little lower on protein than I'd like, so following for tips/best protein powders etc. I've been weight lifting pretty regularly since January and love it!

Don't rely on supplements if you can, it's best to get complete proteins from food. Tofu, black beans, nut burgers, seitan and more.

Protein powder is food.

Yes but single plant based varieties will never be a complete food unless two or more are mixed together.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I'm not vegan but try to eat plant-based as default. I am a little lower on protein than I'd like, so following for tips/best protein powders etc. I've been weight lifting pretty regularly since January and love it!

Don't rely on supplements if you can, it's best to get complete proteins from food. Tofu, black beans, nut burgers, seitan and more.

Protein powder is food.

Yes but single plant based varieties will never be a complete food unless two or more are mixed together.

I think you mean complete protein
  • Silkysausage
    edited May 2018

Protein powder is food.

I think you mean complete protein

Sure, protein is in food though yes? Let's not split hairs
  • Silkysausage
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

But someone using protein shakes to get some of their protein could also be eating other protein containing foods and consuming a variety of animo acids. I sometimes eat protein powder and I track my overall amino acids on another site -- I'm never below 100% for each essential amino acid and that's with no particular effort.

Avoiding protein powder simply because it isn't a complete protein doesn't make sense -- black beans, seitan, and nuts aren't complete proteins either but they're able to help meet our needs when we eat a reasonable variety of foods. Same with protein powder.
  • Silkysausage

But someone using protein shakes to get some of their protein could also be eating other protein containing foods and consuming a variety of animo acids. I sometimes eat protein powder and I track my overall amino acids on another site -- I'm never below 100% for each essential amino acid and that's with no particular effort.

Avoiding protein powder simply because it isn't a complete protein doesn't make sense -- black beans, seitan, and nuts aren't complete proteins either but they're able to help meet our needs when we eat a reasonable variety of foods. Same with protein powder.

I didn't say the word avoid
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I think it's perfectly okay for a vegan who is eating a variety of foods to rely on protein powder as one source of protein. It's just a type of food. From your comments above, it seems like you disagreed with that but I may have misunderstood. It's no different than relying on, say, black beans, for a portion of your protein.
  • Silkysausage

I think it's perfectly okay for a vegan who is eating a variety of foods to rely on protein powder as one source of protein. It's just a type of food. From your comments above, it seems like you disagreed with that but I may have misunderstood. It's no different than relying on, say, black beans, for a portion of your protein.

Well, it's good that there are all forms to choose from.