Should I eat back my exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• SPR86
    SPR86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it’s yes and no.

For example, if I burn 400cals on a cycle, I wouldn’t necessarily think of it as 400extra but I would see it as a buffer if I crept over my allowance.

Sometimes, I’m just not hungry and won’t eat for the sake of it but if I went over my allocation and had the extra, it wouldn’t bother me. I also would not want to use the entire amount, maybe 50% of it but that’s only down to accuracy of the calories burnt.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I eat them back but I suspect they're over estimated.
    If I don't eat them back, I lose weight and my goal, having successfully gained weight, is to maintain
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    the calories earned through exercise are a guesstimate. Calories burned doing exercise are different for everybody and most amounts listed as exercise per hour are estimated.

I personally ignore the calories earned portion in MFP as do I ignore the "if every day were like today..." because it is not accurate.

Then again counting calories isn't exactly 100% accurate either. The key is to adjust based on your needs. Just eat healthy, eat wholesome, eat reasonable portions and exercise as much as you can!