Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long can society sustain its growing population?

Replies

• Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    The ending of population growth will be the major problem for our current economic system, IMO. Constant expansion of production and marketing is the key to success for free market, or even managed market capitalism. It has always been obvious this model would have to ultimately fail. It is a form of social, economic cancer that must finally kill the host.

Climate change might possibly be part of the solution, provided people at the latter part of this century are sufficiently creative and flexible in coming up with an alternative economic structure combining high tech and automation to provide security and creative opportunity for the masses of humanity.

Doesn't sound highly probable, does it?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Don't worry, the Earth will self-regulate. It'll make adjustments to whatever we throw at it. It'll still be here long after we're gone.

I think three years in a row of longevity decreases in the USA makes your point.

Birth rates drop like a rock as societies learn few children can improve one's standard of living. China made news this week talking about taking the limits off of number of children in a family so they do not fade away as a world power like Japan and Italy are doing today due to the negative birth rate. Governments are paying couples to make more babies but it is not working out that well I read. Governments will be changing hands in much of Europe over the next 50 years we read and some in less than half of that time table.

To this day I do not understand the need of man to call for the end of all times.

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

If you'd read the exchanges above, you'd find that there's more than enough land for 4-10 times our current population, and with the Israeli method enough water for 50x our population.

About 10 years ago I took a road trip from Cleveland to Las Vegas, driving through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada on the way there and Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio on the way back. It is amazing how much unoccupied or sparsely occupied land is out there, there are stretches for hundreds of miles where there is absolutely no trace of civilization on either side of the highway. We have made the choice to settle in urban areas and suffocate ourselves by living on top of each other - there is an incredible amount of space available to sustain untold billions of people comfortably in the US and throughout the world, if we choose to develop it.

We may have to get creative with energy production, but Nuclear, Geothermal, Solar, and Satellite Power have some very interesting promise. Hi tech Greenhouses could be installed in the top of New build apartments, to provide produce to the tenants.

We truly live in amazing and wondrous times.

...satellite power?

Still theoretical, but wireless transmission from solar collectors or other geosync generators. Still mostly the realm of Sci-Fi, but interesting in theory. Most likely will never be viable, but some of the applications on a larger and smaller scale are promising, some would require major tech overhauls,

Uh why not just have the solar collectors on land...seems easier. I'm not convinced all this "empty land" represents tons more room for population growth...but it seems a decent place to put a solar farm.

Yeah I get there aren't clouds to get in the way in space...but launching something into orbit is a pretty high initial cost to wait on your ROI from avoiding some clouds.

There is a reason that a lot of those empty spaces are inhabited, they are almost inhabitable for a large population. Almost nothing can be grown or harvested so everything will have to be imported. I have a 20 acre farm in Washington State and we raise or grow a large majority of everything our family eats. My in-laws live in Wyoming and have 60 acres and the same greenhouse but their land can't support the amount of livestock my 20 can. Their growing season is limited due to weather and soil conditions as well. Our country has such diverse climates that certain areas just aren't sustainable for large populations.

On the energy side of this topic we will be opening a can of worms due to opinions being seen as fact. I have worked in the power industry for over 10 years in various types of power plants and power distribution and the sad truth is unfortunately the majority of people out there are misinformed or have no idea how the electrical grid works. They only know when the flip on the switch the lights either come on or they don't and that is the extent of their actual knowledge. This is another problem that is overlooked when populations grow the demand for reliable power grows exponentially with the population.

The different types of energy, Solar, Hydro, Wind, Nuclear, Nat gas, Coal, bio burners all of them have certain requirements for space or types of sustainable fuel. All of these power sources come with pros and cons as well. If you locate a large solar plant in a remote area it can produce massive amounts of power when the sun is out but something such as clouds rolling in can dramatically decrease the production of the plant instantaneously. Wind farms are great in areas with substantial wind but the wind doesn't blow 24-7-365. Wind turbines are designed to run at a set speed so too much wind will cause a wind turbine to stop running to keep from over speeding which can lead to damage and other problems. Our battery technology is lacking for large reliable ways to store energy for even a small city let alone a large city. So even if we could harness all excess energy produced we would have no reliable way to store or distribute it to the grid. Coal power plants have become the main focus of most conversations when energy is concerned about pollution or burning non renewable fossil fuels. Yet all the batteries and solar panels being produced are made from rare earth metals that just like coal are not renewable.

The largest problem is all of the advances in technology are all driven by the desire for money, power and control. They are controlled by those who have or those who are most willing to take it or profit from it.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2018

If you'd read the exchanges above, you'd find that there's more than enough land for 4-10 times our current population, and with the Israeli method enough water for 50x our population.

About 10 years ago I took a road trip from Cleveland to Las Vegas, driving through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada on the way there and Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio on the way back. It is amazing how much unoccupied or sparsely occupied land is out there, there are stretches for hundreds of miles where there is absolutely no trace of civilization on either side of the highway. We have made the choice to settle in urban areas and suffocate ourselves by living on top of each other - there is an incredible amount of space available to sustain untold billions of people comfortably in the US and throughout the world, if we choose to develop it.

We may have to get creative with energy production, but Nuclear, Geothermal, Solar, and Satellite Power have some very interesting promise. Hi tech Greenhouses could be installed in the top of New build apartments, to provide produce to the tenants.

...satellite power?

Still theoretical, but wireless transmission from solar collectors or other geosync generators. Still mostly the realm of Sci-Fi, but interesting in theory. Most likely will never be viable, but some of the applications on a larger and smaller scale are promising, some would require major tech overhauls,

Uh why not just have the solar collectors on land...seems easier. I'm not convinced all this "empty land" represents tons more room for population growth...but it seems a decent place to put a solar farm.

Yeah I get there aren't clouds to get in the way in space...but launching something into orbit is a pretty high initial cost to wait on your ROI from avoiding some clouds.

There is a reason that a lot of those empty spaces are inhabited, they are almost inhabitable for a large population. Almost nothing can be grown or harvested so everything will have to be imported. I have a 20 acre farm in Washington State and we raise or grow a large majority of everything our family eats. My in-laws live in Wyoming and have 60 acres and the same greenhouse but their land can't support the amount of livestock my 20 can. Their growing season is limited due to weather and soil conditions as well. Our country has such diverse climates that certain areas just aren't sustainable for large populations.

On the energy side of this topic we will be opening a can of worms due to opinions being seen as fact. I have worked in the power industry for over 10 years in various types of power plants and power distribution and the sad truth is unfortunately the majority of people out there are misinformed or have no idea how the electrical grid works. They only know when the flip on the switch the lights either come on or they don't and that is the extent of their actual knowledge. This is another problem that is overlooked when populations grow the demand for reliable power grows exponentially with the population.

The different types of energy, Solar, Hydro, Wind, Nuclear, Nat gas, Coal, bio burners all of them have certain requirements for space or types of sustainable fuel. All of these power sources come with pros and cons as well. If you locate a large solar plant in a remote area it can produce massive amounts of power when the sun is out but something such as clouds rolling in can dramatically decrease the production of the plant instantaneously. Wind farms are great in areas with substantial wind but the wind doesn't blow 24-7-365. Wind turbines are designed to run at a set speed so too much wind will cause a wind turbine to stop running to keep from over speeding which can lead to damage and other problems. Our battery technology is lacking for large reliable ways to store energy for even a small city let alone a large city. So even if we could harness all excess energy produced we would have no reliable way to store or distribute it to the grid. Coal power plants have become the main focus of most conversations when energy is concerned about pollution or burning non renewable fossil fuels. Yet all the batteries and solar panels being produced are made from rare earth metals that just like coal are not renewable.

The largest problem is all of the advances in technology are all driven by the desire for money, power and control. They are controlled by those who have or those who are most willing to take it or profit from it.

I also imagine there is the issue of the grid. I don't work in power so I certainly might be wrong so fee free to correct me but I assume too much power into the grid and it causes problems. Peak usage of electricity tends to be in the evening when solar isn't bringing in energy and solar is at its peak when the voltage drop on the grid is at its lowest. Also other power plants like nuclear or coal probably can't just be shut off, or if they can be shut off it is at HUGE cost and loss of efficiency. So what happens is if you get more and more of your energy from solar you end up having to turn off the connection to the solar plants during the day to avoid having to shutdown other powerplants that can't really be effectively shutdown and as such adding solar doesn't actually get you anything.

Solar would only really work if the plants fed massive batteries that could then be discharged into the grid at will when power was required but be stored when it was not. I certainly recognize the issue of power is a lot more complex than just "build more solar" but I was just referring to I think the rather obvious point that it is better to build solar on the ground than to shoot it into space.
  • gearhead426hemi

...satellite power?

I also imagine there is the issue of the grid. I don't work in power so I certainly might be wrong so fee free to correct me but I assume too much power into the grid and it causes problems. Peak usage of electricity tends to be in the evening when solar isn't bringing in energy and solar is at its peak when the voltage drop on the grid is at its lowest. Also other power plants like nuclear or coal probably can't just be shut off, or if they can be shut off it is at HUGE cost and loss of efficiency. So what happens is if you get more and more of your energy from solar you end up having to turn off the connection to the solar plants during the day to avoid having to shutdown other powerplants that can't really be effectively shutdown and as such adding solar doesn't actually get you anything.

Solar would only really work if the plants fed massive batteries that could then be discharged into the grid at will when power was required but be stored when it was not. I certainly recognize the issue of power is a lot more complex than just "build more solar" but I was just referring to I think the rather obvious point that it is better to build solar on the ground than to shoot it into space.

Power plants such as Coal and definitely Nuclear are not designed to cycle off and on. A large coal fire plant can take 4-7 days to get to peak running temperatures. I know very little about Nuclear but the same steam theory applies to those plants and they are designed to run and stay running hot to be efficient. Having solar panels with easy access is definitely a better answer. The biggest problem with any type of energy is the loss due to increase heat. You lose generator efficiency and capabilities due to high temperatures. The same goes for solar panels. They run more efficiently and at peak when they are cool. Some companies are adding a demineralized water cooling system that cools the panels in the peak heat of the day to increase output and life of the panels as well.
  • Westschmeis
    Have any of you energy establishment apologists paid attention to what Elon Musk has done in Australia with his battery systems?
    Or, to any of the rapid innovation going on in battery technology?
    Once you have efficient battery backup, the problems with sundown, wind variation and over production become a management problem in a complex system. IMHO

• gearhead426hemi
    Have any of you energy establishment apologists paid attention to what Elon Musk has done in Australia with his battery systems?
    Or, to any of the rapid innovation going on in battery technology?
    Once you have efficient battery backup, the problems with sundown, wind variation and over production become a management problem in a complex system. IMHO

The battery technology is definitely booming and has made huge leaps and bounds over the past few years. The battery systems for personal home is a great way to go. The biggest problem that the large majority of the population is going to run into is all the upfront costs associated with going with a solar or hybrid system. I had a company come out and run a solar and wind survey for 30 days on my property to see if either system would be beneficial for my investment. The wind would be a waste but the solar would be a great option since I have no large trees or structures to block the sunlight. Now I have a small farm so I have a slightly larger power use due to well pump cycling for water troughs and watering our greenhouse. So a system that would be large enough to run only what my farm consumes on a monthly basis was $38,000.00+ dollars. That includes the discounts from our state and federal tax credits. Plus since I work at a power plant my coworkers are state certified electricians so I would install the majority of the system myself which saves of $5,000 in labor costs. This system doesn't include a battery bank which would be another $5-8,000. So a complete stand alone system for my home and farm would cost upwards of $45,000 dollars. Now if I want to sell back excess power to the local utility I have to pay a monthly line usage fee and annual system inspection and certification from the PUD as well. In total after the $45k investment I would still be paying around $500 per year to the utility plus any costs with upkeep for my system. So for my personal setup I took everything into account including a annual increase in utility bills of 5% annually which this year it went up 8% so I was being generous and it would take between 7-8 years for my system to be paid for. Most systems come with a 10 year warranty which if maintained properly a system could last 20 years but there is typically around 1% annual loss due to aging of any system. Now the state does have financing options with very low guaranteed locked in interest rates of around 5% but they require 30% cash deposit and if you sell your home before the loan is completed you have 90 days to pay in full or suffer fines and penalties. So out of pocket upfront would cost $13,500. That is a lot of money for the average person to come up with in cash and add another monthly payment on. I am luckier than most because I sell hay, livestock, fruits and vegetables at my farm so I have a small income from my property whereas the average person make nothing.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Interesting that California passed a law requiring that all new homes built after Jan 1, 2020 must include a solar energy system. The building industry has said that it will add a minimum of $10K to the purchase cost of a home.

I'll constrain my comments strictly to those facts and not dig into the underlying issues, to avoid potentially stirring a *kitten*storm.
  • Westschmeis
    On the other hand, I am negotiating with a solar farm developer in eastern Colorado for a 160 acre site, tied into the regional grid that would pay us about 150k per year. Not sure this is the best deal we can get, and we have time to gage future improvements on the technology.

This field is changing at the rate computers and the internet changed in the 90s.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Interesting that California passed a law requiring that all new homes built after Jan 1, 2020 must include a solar energy system. The building industry has said that it will add a minimum of $10K to the purchase cost of a home.

I'll constrain my comments strictly to those facts and not dig into the underlying issues, to avoid potentially stirring a *kitten*storm.

At first I was going to say I was against that as I favor people having free choice in such matters but upon thinking about it more I guess really though how is that any different than emission standards on cars. We decided at somepoint that cars were polluting to much and required certain emission standards be met which of course required car manufactures to over-engineer their products and make them more expensive for the consumer who wasn't given a choice of a car that had high emissions but was cheaper. But I support that.

I guess my only concern if it is done stupidly, meaning new constructions slap on 10k worth of solar panels directly under a tree or on the north side just to meet the requirement with little thought to actual power production.
  • Westschmeis
    *kitten*! When the choice is there, prior to design and construction, an owner can make an informed choice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    To answer the opening question, fifty years tops.

Regarding the electric grid and batteries, there are people working on it.

https://www.ted.com/talks/donald_sadoway_the_missing_link_to_renewable_energy/up-next

Population growth does go down with stability, improved health care and opportunity. That would be my preferred solution to population pressures.

I am not content to allow a natural plague to reduce population growth. *cough* Ebola *cough*. Surely we are better off learning how to contain, prevent, and eradicate plagues.

A sudden eradication of a large percentage of the population does not relieve pressure. It results in greater chaos and decay. *cough* Detroit *cough* A random plague is not selective on who it takes and frankly a world without Bill Nye is diminished.
  • Westschmeis
    Very unlikely result, technology mostly solves those vectors.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A burning question I have is how an economic system dependent on growth can be sustained as growth stabilizes then declines.

It seems to me that efficiency will be the only way to get more out of less.
  • Westschmeis
    jgnatca wrote: »

https://www.ted.com/talks/donald_sadoway_the_missing_link_to_renewable_energy/up-next

Population growth does go down with stability, improved health care and opportunity. That would be my preferred solution to population pressures.

I am not content to allow a natural plague to reduce population growth. *cough* Ebola *cough*. Surely we are better off learning how to contain, prevent, and eradicate plagues.

A sudden eradication of a large percentage of the population does not relieve pressure. It results in greater chaos and decay. *cough* Detroit *cough* A random plague is not selective on who it takes and frankly a world without Bill Nye is diminished.

Your cough seems really bad! Could that be passive aggressive?? LOL
  • gearhead426hemi
    On the other hand, I am negotiating with a solar farm developer in eastern Colorado for a 160 acre site, tied into the regional grid that would pay us about 150k per year. Not sure this is the best deal we can get, and we have time to gage future improvements on the technology.

This field is changing at the rate computers and the internet changed in the 90s.

The field is changing and improving rapidly for sure.

I guess it depends on if you are going to be the owner of the solar farm or if you are the land owner and lease the land to the solar farm. If you are the owner of the solar farm 150k a year wont even cover the payment with no interest for a farm that size. If you are the land owner and lease to a farm 150k a year with zero time or effort put in for yourself is a good deal. That would be a drop in the bucket from the owners of the farms profits. A solar farm that size even on the cheap side would cost upwards of $56,000,000.00. It could produce about 64MW with current energy prices it would make about $9.6 million annually without subsidies from the state or feds.

I have to say this thread is a great way to burn time away on night shift. Makes the 12 hour shift fly by, LOL.

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    tklivory wrote: »
    Here's an interesting article on the matter written in 2016. It says the UN projection is that global population will reach 11 billion by 2100, and predictions on sustainability are pretty much all a matter of conjecture, scientific speculation and statistics because it's unprecedented.

The article is good in that it links to several fairly recent studies on various topis such as the fall in human fertility, estimated maximum population recommendations in various areas, and even a study that tried to estimate what would happen in the event of a catastrophic population reduction. Now, the veracity of the studies themselves is still something to investigate and weigh, but it's not a bad article to consider for the OP's basic question.

As for what I personally think? Based on our current trajectory and if we maintain our current attitude, the world as a whole is on a completely unsustainable path. Too many people in the world don't have their basic needs met already, and the more the population grows, the greater that pressure and disparity will grow. Given the particulars of history, that doesn't bode well.

In all honestly humanity as a whole is better off now than they were 50 years ago despite continued population growth so I disagree with the idea that a growing population equates to less coverage of basic needs. Obviously there is a limit to how much the population can grow before it causes shortages and issues but it is hard to say where that point is or if we will reach it before balancing factors or advancements come into play.

The problem is humans have forgotten how to provide their basic needs themselves. Humans have become lazy, entitled and spoiled. Society has changed and now believes luxuries are basic needs and some even have the audacity to think everyone is entitled to those so called basic needs but shouldn't have to do anything for them. For a society to thrive everyone has to do their part and contribute something no matter how small. As long as we have large populations of people whose entire existence and survival is dependent on others or technology we are doomed to fail. Basic instinct and natural selection aren't bad things.

I think you are transfering your own personal experience with those around you in your culture in a developed nation and acting as if it applies to the majority of people who live in less developed areas. They experience of American's/Canadians/Europeans etc probably applies to about 10% of the total world population. I don't think the problem with the majority of humans on this planet is too much focus on luxuries. I'm just talking the basics like shelter, clothing and enough food and infrastructure to remain healthy and I don't think the people who are striving for those things are distracted by a "need" for a iPad or a carmel macchiato.

You are way more optimistic about the human race than I am. I am rooting for mother nature.

I'm rooting for humans because there are several of them I rather like. That is not to say I am rooting against nature, we are a part of nature and we require the environment to be a certain way in order to survive so of course it is in our best interest to maintain that. As for being optimistic I don't really think so, I just think for whatever reason it has become cool or edgy to openly root against our survival for whatever reason and to assume the worst of people even if the actual data doesn't support it.

I'm rooting for humans because I are one. Yes, I know that's bad grammar. No, I don't care.

To borrow a sentiment from a Penn and Teller bit.

I would personally kill every monkey on the planet by hand to cure a single heroin Junkie with AIDS.

And then you'd kill every lion for the next addiction and problem and so on and so forth. When you run out of animals, I wonder how long it will be before you contemplate killing humans?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    We could use a judgment day; just my opinion - the world would be a better place with say 50% cut
    (Bias from living in one of the highest population dense parts of US)

Thanos...is that you?

I was wondering how quickly something like that would come up
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Ebola is the last thing you need to worry about as it kills hosts too rapidly. Ebola pre-dates most life forms on Earth, but was never a concern until world travel became common. It's the more insidious long term carriers/killers you need to be concerned about - influenza for example as it evolves at greater than four times the rate of ebola.

It's also the indirect things we should be concerned about. It isn't the virus that wipes out humanity, but the virus that wipes out the food source that wipes out humanity.