Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long can society sustain its growing population?

Options
123457»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Interesting that California passed a law requiring that all new homes built after Jan 1, 2020 must include a solar energy system. The building industry has said that it will add a minimum of $10K to the purchase cost of a home.

I'll constrain my comments strictly to those facts and not dig into the underlying issues, to avoid potentially stirring a *kitten*storm.

At first I was going to say I was against that as I favor people having free choice in such matters but upon thinking about it more I guess really though how is that any different than emission standards on cars. We decided at somepoint that cars were polluting to much and required certain emission standards be met which of course required car manufactures to over-engineer their products and make them more expensive for the consumer who wasn't given a choice of a car that had high emissions but was cheaper. But I support that.

I guess my only concern if it is done stupidly, meaning new constructions slap on 10k worth of solar panels directly under a tree or on the north side just to meet the requirement with little thought to actual power production.

If a locality or municipality wants to impose such constraints or standards, that is their prerogative. It's certainly less costly than retrofitting solar or geothermal power or water heating/climate control into an existing structure.

Time will tell.