Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Cost of premium membership

Skywalker1510Skywalker1510 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
I see my fitness pal Has a one month free trial for Premium.What’s the ongoing cost after that?

Friendly Advice for MFP:
Transparency builds trust. Hiding premium costs behind your one month free offer is less than transparent.
edited May 2018

Replies

• AnvilHeadAnvilHead Posts: 18,543Member Member Posts: 18,543Member Member
    I don't see what the issue is here. If you click on the 'Premium' banner, then click on "Upgrade to Premium", it gives you both the monthly and yearly prices right there on the page in front of you in plain numbers. What's hidden?
  • CyberToneCyberTone Posts: 7,516Member Member Posts: 7,516Member Member
    That’s not how it shows up on my screen. I only have the option to click on the start 1 month free trial button. Whenever I click go premium that’s the only option I have

I have not seen the trial offer, so I do not have the data to prove it, but I would guess that in order to actually sign up for that one month free trial, a user would be asked to supply a payment method, and in order to finalize the trial offer the actual monthly and yearly cost would be shown then. MFP normally wants users to sign up for automatic renewal when they sign up for premium membership - and users have the option to cancel the automatic renewal before it kicks in. I don't see why they would not try to do the same for users who sign up for a free one-month trial.

Has anyone else reading this thread signed up for the free trial and can confirm my guess?
    edited May 2018
  • Skywalker1510Skywalker1510 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    Thanks. So does anyone know the cost monthly and/or yearly of premium?
  • kiwanda88kiwanda88 Posts: 20Member Member Posts: 20Member Member
    Yes: it's $9.99 per month or $49.99 for a year. What I'm wondering is how to get the free trial, as I'm not interested in most of the premium functions so am not ready to through $10 their way. Is that offer showing up in the app or the web version?
  • Skywalker1510Skywalker1510 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    Thanks for the info! The free one month trial shows up on the app
    edited May 2018
  • gitnbizygitnbizy Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    In the app, the Free Trial Offer banner states that payments are exclusively processed through Google Play app. This is a big deterrent for me. Why isn't the an option to pay via credit card directly through the MFP app. Ugh!
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 5,377Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,377Member, Premium Member
    I pay directly from my debit card so the google play makes no sense
  • juliaentz7juliaentz7 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    My app says the payment goes through iTunes. I don’t have an iTunes account so....? I am just perturbed by the lack of transparency and the fact that you actually have to hit the free trial button to see how much it’s going to cost because in the app it is stated nowhere. Even the fine print only disclosed that it’s billed through iTunes.
  • dale4968dale4968 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I am very suspicious when an app deliberately hides the monthly and on going cost, this info should be on the app. From what I can see by the posts, this issue was brought up in May 2018, over 10 months ago so I doubt they are going to fix this intentional problem. It appears Under Armour do want to give their customers the impression they hide there costs until they have you locked in, very poor form
  • A_LivingstoneA_Livingstone Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I'm having the same issue in the UK using the app on Android. Only option is to click on the button to sign up for 1 month free - there is nothing anywhere that actually says how much a paid subscription is - so there is no transparency at all...

It says the following in the small print (but still no mention of ongoing cost):

Subscription Details
    MyFitnessPal Premium subscriptions purchased through the app will be charged to your Google Play account.

Your subscription can be canceled or managed under your Google Play Account settings. Your free trial will convert to an auto-renewing paid subscription unless you cancel your subscription before the free trial period is over. Your payment will continue to auto-renew unless you cancel your subscription prior to your next renewal date.
  • OllieWilliamsOllieWilliams Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    If you click the 'start free trial button' in the app, it then gives you a follow-up choice of which payment plan you want to go onto before you actually begin the trial. At least that way you know what you're paying before you agree to the trial.

I do agree entirely though that not showing the premium price on the 'Go Premium' screen is unclear and not very transparent. I would have expected either the banner to say something like "Try MFP Prem free for 30 days - £9.99 after trial" or for there to be a section at the bottom of the screen after all the premium features that said how much it costs after the free trial.

Endomondo, also UA, follows the exact same pattern which is equally irritating.

As an aside, it would actually be quite cool if there was a joint MFP/Endo premium subscription you could go for that essentially gave you a discount on the cost of two separate subscriptions, because you chose to go for both together in a single package!
  • chelnychelny Posts: 176Member, Premium Member Posts: 176Member, Premium Member
    Not sure why there are so many differences in what people see. I clicked the icon to investigate Premium (I did this both on my laptop & phone app). The app on the phone gave me the 1 mo. free offer, but I was also able to see the prices (9.99/49.99 as stated above). I wonder if I saw the prices on my laptop? I don't recall either one stating any payment plan exclusively. I followed through to get the 1 mo. free, but yes, I did have to put in a credit card. I'm not using google or itunes or anything like that. It may depend upon the platform where you're using the app or where you got it from? In the "help" section, there are FAQs about Premium, plus you can type in a question to see if it is already answered.
  • Safari_GalSafari_Gal Posts: 888Member Member Posts: 888Member Member
    I just downgraded my membership today - after years they lost me as a premium customer.
  • canadjinehcanadjineh Posts: 4,998Member Member Posts: 4,998Member Member
    I used to be able to edit my comments in the forums soon after posting (ie. if I had forgotten to post a link, or had a typo that wasn't immediately discernible) - I can't any longer.... is this now only a feature of Premium MFP? Just curious.
  • souvnsepa03souvnsepa03 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    After some persistent digging found this forum with an answer! I’m using an iPhone running iOS 12.4 and the most recent update to the app. I clicked on the upgrade to see the cost of subscription. Much to my chagrin, I discovered the same thing as others have seen: No cost revealed. The only thing I was able to learn is that the free trial is only available if you haven’t previously had one. Perhaps the deep dark secret would have been revealed had I continued with additional ok clicks. I chose to not follow this action as I’m not trusting any entity that chooses to make you work to find a charge.
  • ippalmer98ippalmer98 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member

nxk00d02ievf.jpeg
    Annual £39.99, monthly £7.99 (iPhone United Kingdon)
  • phillipkebabphillipkebab Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I too can’t see the price. Had to do a quick Google to find this thread. What is interesting is that a user above has posted a photo from September and my screenshot is today 25th November 19 and the exact amount of people have signed up this week. Coincidence? Not trusting this app. May look for alternatives. Any suggestions???
  • phillipkebabphillipkebab Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
  • smn888smn888 Posts: 49Member Member Posts: 49Member Member
    ya that 15,320 number is clearly BS. this site has gone downhill fast since it changed hands