Why are slim people slim?

12346»

Replies

• LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    lkndaniels wrote: »
    I am loving this discussion! I struggle with my weight since I was a teen. I started dieting very young and every since I just been on a yo yo effect. I lose and gain it back. I am either dieting or gaining weight. Never maintaining. My relationship with food is a mess. And my mindset that I have to workout to eat health, if I'm not working out then I eat like crap. I have a history of intense binge eating. So I am working on breaking my unhealthy habits. People don't think I am overweight when they see me, just average or a little over average. ( wear clothes to hide my stomach area) I am tall so that help a little. But since I know how much I weigh and see whats under my clothes lol, I know I am overweight.

This is the same mind set as my partners...I'm trying to show him that overall diet is more important than just when you are exercising. Sticking to a daily calorie goal to either lose or maintain weight is were the initial focus should be, while using exercise for body composition and aesthetics rather than a weight loss tool.

But sadly it's not sinking in...
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    @lkndaniels the very best of luck in your journey!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    My husband & bff are 'naturally' thin. I've noticed these differences between them & me ~ they don't butter their bread, they say "no thanks" when I encourage "come on, it's nicely softened". They prefer salad dressed with oil&vinegar as opposed to ranch or Russian (and they always say "yes!" to salad). They turn their nose up at mayo on sandwiches. They prefer simple pound cake to frosted cakes. They love fruit. They prefer veggies plain-ish as opposed to cheesy casseroles. They are fidgety and unconscious fast walkers. My husband will lay on the couch to relax with tv and have his head raised without a pillow ~ like a loonngg situp.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I was always so slim until I hit 45 ish.. then it began....

Same here, except my weight gain started at 40. I am more active now than i have ever been, yet struggle to maintain the weight i fought so hard to frickan lose!

Up until a few years ago, i NEVER exercised. During my teens, 20's and 30's i ate what i wanted, when i wanted never gaining a pound, drove everywhere, exercise was a dirty word.
    I never, ever had to think about calories, exercise or weight gain. It's like I'm now being punished for my carefree, eat like a horse without consequence days lol

Oh and i was part of the "you cant leave the table until your plates clean" club.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    My husband & bff are 'naturally' thin. I've noticed these differences between them & me ~ they don't butter their bread, they say "no thanks" when I encourage "come on, it's nicely softened". They prefer salad dressed with oil&vinegar as opposed to ranch or Russian (and they always say "yes!" to salad). They turn their nose up at mayo on sandwiches. They prefer simple pound cake to frosted cakes. They love fruit. They prefer veggies plain-ish as opposed to cheesy casseroles. They are fidgety and unconscious fast walkers. My husband will lay on the couch to relax with tv and have his head raised without a pillow ~ like a loonngg situp.

Even though I know that long term success works best if you don't deprive yourself of things, I experimented with a few things I seemed to do more out of habit than strong desire. I quit buttering bread and really don't miss it. I rarely have biscuits, but when I do I still have honey or jam/jelly but no butter. I really don't miss it. I also almost never use any salad dressing. I only used a few kinds before and would often ask for the dressing on the side when a salad came with a particular dressing and often didn't use it. Sometimes I grind in a spice mix called "Pirate Bite" that has some kick to it and/or use chicken that was cooked with spice (like jerk or teriyaki) but I have pretty much quit using dressing. I think these are sustainable habits; giving up things that were more habits than flavors that I really miss. I also don't have bread as often. If there are rolls out and I really want a roll, I get one, but I think about it before I just grab one out of habit. I used to eat a buttered roll anytime there were rolls on the table.

I like this idea of checking one's eating habits. The opposite was also true for me. For example, everyone keeps saying "Don't drink your calories". So, I stopped putting skim milk in my coffee in the mornings. But 1) I felt deprived 2) I was hungrier sooner after breakfast. Turns out that amount of milk in my coffee was important for keeping me happy and sated until lunch.
    We all have to find that balance of calorie-smart + happy that we can maintain for life.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am really somewhat surprised by the removal of butter from my diet. I did think of it as depriving myself at first, but it really was more of a habit than a strong preference. I would use it on bread almost every time if it was handy, but if there was only hard stick butter or it wasn't out on the table I would skip it. I never really thought about it until I went without for weight loss. Same with bread in general; if it was served with a meal I would eat it. But if it wasn't, I didn't think twice about it. I still eat bread, but mostly in sandwiches and an occasional soft roll or biscuit. Donuts were a habit. I almost never bought myself a donut, even when eating at a donut shop, but would eat them if they were out in the break room.
  • Themajez
    Themajez Posts: 61 Member
    I used to be 'naturally slim'. The reason was the hormonal weight regulation I had was perfect. I never gained, I never lost. If I ate too much one day, the next week I would naturally lose weight without even knowing. I didn't even know my weight.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    I've had unhealthy habits but never been anywhere near over weight. I think there's a few things that help this. I eat a huge breakfast and snack through the day rather than having a proper lunch. I don't eat after dinner- I have my evening meal, a small dessert and then don't consume anything except water. I go to bed early and get up early so late night snacking isn't something I do. I'm a constant fidgeter (thankyou anxiety.) so very rarely stop moving. I don't add sugar to any drinks, only use small amounts of butter and oil, trim the fat off meats after cooking (not before because fat gives good flavour!). I'm also a bit forgetful and tend to go downstairs for something, go back upstairs and realise I've forgotten to get what I wanted then have to back for it! I also have a phobia of lifts so have always used the stairs
  • CarvedTones
    Themajez wrote: »
    I used to be 'naturally slim'. The reason was the hormonal weight regulation I had was perfect. I never gained, I never lost. If I ate too much one day, the next week I would naturally lose weight without even knowing. I didn't even know my weight.

In my early 20s, I rarely weighed and certainly was all over the place with eamount I ate and amount I burned; lots of randomness. Every time I weighed (not often) I was within a pound or so of 150.
  • CarvedTones
    Shouty guy is in the building!
  • philcycle12
    philcycle12 Posts: 17 Member
    I have been the same weight for nearly 20 years give or take a kilo 73 average, I could eat a boat load of donuts and never put weight on, I have tried over the years, I don’t drink alcohol and love mountain biking I just put it down to having a fast metabolism,
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I went out to dinner with my kids last night, and once again was amazed at my sons very slim girlfriends eating habits. Every time we go out, she eats maybe half of her meal and my son ends up finishing it off. She also puts her fork down every now and then.

On the other side of the table, there's the rest of us scarfing down our food and practically licking our plates whilst complaining how full we are lol We all get excited about food and count down the minutes til dinner time. Sons girlfriend is meh about food. We walked to the bakery afterward, she got a tiny little cake, the rest of us got stonking big canoli's!!

Have to add, my kids are still slim, being in their early 20's. But their eating habits will possibly eventually catch up with them, like they did me...
  • Billbegood
    Billbegood Posts: 13 Member
    Like the video said, not sleeping enough makes you hungrier. I have also heard that his is because since you arent rested well enough your body requires more energy from other sources to keep it going such as food.