Obese, starting to exercise but in so much pain

Options
124»

Replies

• JayRaeUK
    JayRaeUK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The advice on here is fantastic and so useful to me as well! good luck to you!
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been walking multiple miles per day and often doing zumba daily. I am obese and trying to lose weight. My body HURTS very bad, beyond just being sore. It is especially hard on my knees. Even when I am resting my knees are hurting. I never had pain before starting to exercise. Am I overdoing it? Should I focus on healthier diet and put off starting an exercise routine for now? I know I will be told talk to my doctor, but I just changed insurance and dont have a new doctor yet so that's not realistic for me yet. What should I do?

I didn't start working out in earnest until I'd shed quite a few pounds - went from obese to overweight. Any kind of lugging weight around (walking) is hard, but pressure is weight/area so imagine all the weight going down right into that small area of your knees and it's tough on them.

I second swimming if that's something you're remotely interested in.

One of the things I keep reading about Zumba is HAVING THE RIGHT SHOES - you may know this but I keep seeing testimonials like "major knee pain until I got the right shoes!" But it may be best to save Zumba for later.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Start with low impact exercise, like cycling and swimming. Don't destroy your knees, you won't get them back! That's why they tell you to see a doctor before you start exercising.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate all replies!!! It is so upsetting and disappointing to realize I have let my body get to the point that I cant even exercise like I would like to! I have such bad knee pain lately, I was thinking of doing a 5K in June. I will hold off for now and try to focus on a better diet. I am starting out at 407lb

Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. Your body is telling you you're not ready for that level of activity at this point. Please listen to it.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    I attended deep water running classes at the pool for the first two years of my weight loss journey. The hardest part was walking from the change room to the pool the first class! My classes were a mixture of the elderly, the obese, people recovering from knee surgeries, and regular people. The beauty of deep water running is that you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like, so as you progress, you just work harder. I loved it and it was the perfect activity for me at that time.

Your knees have taken so much abuse just carrying you around doing your day to day activities. Show them some kindness.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I attended deep water running classes at the pool for the first two years of my weight loss journey. The hardest part was walking from the change room to the pool the first class! My classes were a mixture of the elderly, the obese, people recovering from knee surgeries, and regular people. The beauty of deep water running is that you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like, so as you progress, you just work harder. I loved it and it was the perfect activity for me at that time.

Your knees have taken so much abuse just carrying you around doing your day to day activities. Show them some kindness.

Aqua jogging is my favourite exercise. Minimal equipment needed, just access to a pool.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread. When I first started to get healthy I was obese with a low level of fitness. I started slow with a daily walk on flat ground. At first, I got out of breath walking to the end of our block, but gradually as I got into better shape and lost some of the weight I was able to go farther and farther. I added swimming and walking in the pool during the summer. Next I joined an inexpensive gym and started working out with weights and using the bikes, treadmills, rowing machines. Again, I started slowly--the first day I did a group fitness class with weights and was in pain for a week, so I knew I needed to slow down if I did not want to burn out. Been working on a healthy lifestyle for 8 years now. It took me a year and a half to lose 56 pounds, but taking my time helped me keep 30 pounds off. I did gain 25 back (menopause, slower metabolism, and 2 major surgeries and a spinal cord injury in one year really set me back for awhile). I came back to MFP in January, recommitted to working out and eating well, and have lost 10 pounds so far (once again, I am going the slow route). Don't think you have to get fitter overnight. It is a journey, not a race. As your life changes and health changes, adapt your goals to fit your reality. I can't life heavy weights anymore or run, but I am still working out at the highest level I am capable of. Don't be discouraged--congratulate yourself on the small victories that over time will totally change your life. Good luck!