Women 50+ Building Muscle/Cutting

Options
I have been trying to research various aspects of women building muscle at ages 50+ going through menopause. Menopause is such a touchy subject all though all us ladies will go through it, but I don't know of anyone my age doing bulk/cut cycles or recomp.

I would love to find some resources, studies, etc. that discuss female hormones, balance (not sure how to work on balance if they aren't working like they should be :smiley: ), maybe macros or diet changes or cutting strategies that might be beneficial. For the past three weeks I have horrid day/night time sweats and also trying to find out if this causes water balance problems.

I will be 50 in a few months, if things hold where they are I will be 'post' at the end of the year. I bulked this winter and now cutting, it has reached a point where I have stalled, I have lost about 3 pounds in 8 weeks and I dare cut cals again. Maybe some of my fat loss is masked by water. I thought I could ride out my cals but all of this has me losing strength, my performance some days are better than others, I still get the job done, but I think I could do so much more if I was 100%.

Take a diet break only after 8 weeks of 250 deficit? Does that sound dumb? I am mentally and physically attached to my calories :smiley: so I am cutting on 1800, 115-120 gr protein, fat around 65-70g and my carbs the rest, sometimes I get a little less fat and more carbs (200-210gr).

I wrote this hoping to not embarrass my self, I am treading into unknown waters, I am very patient and willing to adjust or try new things. :smile:

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I've sent your link to Roberta who is on my friends list here Roxie. Hopefully, she might be able to impart some sage advice for you.

Good luck! ((Hugs))
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I've sent your link to Roberta who is on my friends list here Roxie. Hopefully, she might be able to impart some sage advice for you.

Good luck! ((Hugs))

Thank you so much! Very much appreciated. <3
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Following! I almost posted something similar last year but things returned to normal. I know that peri is just around the corner for me...or maybe few years around the corner!

This may be worth listening to:
    https://player.fm/series/jps-health-fitness-2166069/podcast-38-interview-with-lyle-mcdonald-part-2
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2018
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Following! I almost posted something similar last year but things returned to normal. I know that peri is just around the corner for me...or maybe few years around the corner!

https://player.fm/series/jps-health-fitness-2166069/podcast-38-interview-with-lyle-mcdonald-part-2

Thanks for this, this is exactly a resource I'm looking for. I'm gonna have a listen to this this morning. I'll come back and update this thread with some thoughts and insights.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't think there is anything wrong with taking a diet break after each 8 week cut. i am doing the same, but every 6 weeks because I struggle with holding a deficit for too long.

what do we always tell newbies? be consistent and you'll get results... if that break means you are consistent the rest of the time then that's a good thing, right?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    i don't think there is anything wrong with taking a diet break after each 8 week cut. i am doing the same, but every 6 weeks because I struggle with holding a deficit for too long.

what do we always tell newbies? be consistent and you'll get results... if that break means you are consistent the rest of the time then that's a good thing, right?

Very good point. I have to admit I am very consistent, if I weren't its hard to figure out where the break down is.

A diet break is not an end all to goals it should be just part of it. I'm really a sore loser (pun intended) and do not enjoy being in a deficit. I'm not in a uncomfortable one at the moment but cutting further I would be.

I'm going on with the idea that diet breaks should be integral part of the process even in earlier stages of fat loss.

I decided last night that I would go ahead and start mine tomorrow.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Thanks for this, this is exactly a resource I'm looking for. I'm gonna have a listen to this this morning. I'll come back and update this thread with some thoughts and insights.

My take away was that there could be some insulin resistance. :'(

He mentions making sure you have adequate protein. I hate when people say that. What does that mean? I have read many articles that as we age we need more protein. How much more? How much more if we are lifting weights?
    This was written by Layne Norton:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-to-eat-for-max-muscle-growth-at-any-age.html
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2018
    Options

My take away was that there could be some insulin resistance. :'(

He mentions making sure you have adequate protein. I hate when people say that. What does that mean? I have read many articles that as we age we need more protein. How much more? How much more if we are lifting weights?
    This was written by Layne Norton:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-to-eat-for-max-muscle-growth-at-any-age.html

I have watched the video twice this morning. Lyle is a huge advocate of protein. :smiley:

He mentions insulin resistance with PCOS and for the late peri woman and how moderating carbs, raising dietary fat and of course higher protein was important. A women choosing HRT will not have issues with insulin resistance but I will fall into the non HRT category so diet could be key.

Your link states that a 41-65 years: 1.1-1.3 grams per pound of body weight. My current intake falls into about 1 gram per body weight and I also understand that calorie deficits require a little more protein. I actually eat the same protein amount in a deficit, bulking and maintaining, its just a well rounded number to remember. As a late 'peri' I can see why protein needs are higher, maybe taking a few of my carbs and adding to protein will helpful, plus protein fills me up.

The carb ratio he mentions at 1-1.5 gr per body weight is something I need to look at further. It seems quite low for the exercise I do, building muscle isn't something he touched on much but I am sure more info is be found on what is appropriate for the athlete, body builder etc at middle age.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Following. I'd like to learn as much as possible before peri- and/or menopause hit. I'm not that far away.

I suspect Lyle's new book "The Women's Book" would be a valuable resource. I haven't bought it yet.

https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/product/the-womens-book-vol1/
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Following. I'd like to learn as much as possible before peri- and/or menopause hit. I'm not that far away.

I suspect Lyle's new book "The Women's Book" would be a valuable resource. I haven't bought it yet.

Thanks. <3 I am going to get this today.

I was hoping to not ever get here, but I am. :cry:

I would like to keep the information sharing going on in this thread. Since I am experimenting and working on things in this aspect, personal testimony might be helpful to others as well!
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I downloaded the book to my Kindle just now!
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I'm 48, 49 at the end of this year and in peri for sure. I started lifting last fall because all of a sudden it just looked like I had no muscle and I've always been athletic and muscular. I wanted to maintain the muscle I had, but now that I'm into it, I'm really wanting to build muscle. I need to learn more about doing it especially at this age. I also just need to learn a lot about the build muscle, lose fat, cycles, and calories needed for it.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

That was fast... hense the name QuikSylver. lol
  • quiksylver296
    Options

That was fast... hense the name QuikSylver. lol

;) Know thyself. :D
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    This is very interesting. I'm 48, 49 at the end of this year and in peri for sure. I started lifting last fall because all of a sudden it just looked like I had no muscle and I've always been athletic and muscular. I wanted to maintain the muscle I had, but now that I'm into it, I'm really wanting to build muscle. I need to learn more about doing it especially at this age. I also just need to learn a lot about the build muscle, lose fat, cycles, and calories needed for it.

You have come to the right place. Join in and post any questions you have.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @RoxieDawn Thanks!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I downloaded this a while back but haven't read it yet. While I'm still in my early 40's, I've been peri for a while now. I have a feeling it's going to stretch on for a REALLY long time for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I downloaded this a while back but haven't read it yet. While I'm still in my early 40's, I've been peri for a while now. I have a feeling it's going to stretch on for a REALLY long time for me.

Its been 7 years for me, its worse towards the end for me... kinda ready to get off the roller coaster now. :grimace:

Hang in there, at least there is an end to the madness.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Hey there sweetheart!

People think that menopause stops you but really it's just another form of stress. All stress makes us hungrier (increased cortisol and ghrelin).

All I do is keep in mind my TDEE and eat slightly under to lose body fat, workout but not really count exercise calories except to eat an extra serving (not too much!) depending on my hunger intensity before I go to bed at night.

Also, I found my hot flashes and night sweats to be unbearable, feeling like I got run over by a truck every morning and not getting sleep and hunger through the roof, so I went to the doctor and got custom bio-identical HRT. Also I feel that my vitamins, fish oil, and superior greens all with anti-inflammatory and helping with hormone regulation all contribute to my success with keeping the body fat down.

It's a complicated issue for sure, but in many ways simple, it requires investment in nutrition.

Roberta

Good morning Roxie. The above quoted was Roberta Saum's response to me regarding your thread query.

• quiksylver296
    edited May 2018
    Options

Its been 7 years for me, its worse towards the end for me... kinda ready to get off the roller coaster now. :grimace:

Hang in there, at least there is an end to the madness.

Y'all aren't making me feel better! :D