Handstand Challenge

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I had another handstand class at my new gymnastic studio tonight.

It is amazing how much variation I have seen about what is taught in a handstand class by going to different places. At the pole dance studio I go to there is hardly any focus on technique and form rather working on pretty poses. At circus school, it is a lot of core conditioning and drills for handstand presses and circus hand balancing moves. At the new place is about technique and getting to a balanced handstand ASAP. It is fascinating really especially as the goal is meant to be the same for all of them.

And then you have the yoga studios who want you to only tuck jump. :tongue:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I had another handstand class at my new gymnastic studio tonight.

It is amazing how much variation I have seen about what is taught in a handstand class by going to different places. At the pole dance studio I go to there is hardly any focus on technique and form rather working on pretty poses. At circus school, it is a lot of core conditioning and drills for handstand presses and circus hand balancing moves. At the new place is about technique and getting to a balanced handstand ASAP. It is fascinating really especially as the goal is meant to be the same for all of them.

And then you have the yoga studios who want you to only tuck jump. :tongue:

Ummm no
  • mom23mangos
    I got some really nice, like 45sec long holds this morning, but my consistency is still crap. I'm still having to really bend my arms to get balanced, but with the really long holds I was able to slowly straighten out some and keep my balance.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    I got some really nice, like 45sec long holds this morning, but my consistency is still crap. I'm still having to really bend my arms to get balanced, but with the really long holds I was able to slowly straighten out some and keep my balance.
    That’s exciting tho!
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Well done @mom23mangos - i am jealous of those times.

I have really come along in the last week with my balance which is exciting for me as before I just had good lines and limited balance now i have good lines and some balance which is creeping up every time I try - which is back to being daily and is making a huge difference.
  • mom23mangos
    Consistency and hold time sucked this morning, but I did practice holding my head more in line with my body.

https://youtu.be/oWxhgb0isVo
  • wanderingarcher
    Consistency and hold time sucked this morning, but I did practice holding my head more in line with my body.

https://youtu.be/oWxhgb0isVo
    Looks great!
    You inspire me. I’m still at the wall excited to be off wall for four seconds! Can’t wait to grow up and be like you! ❤️
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I was at the wall on saturday.
  • TiisTitanium
    I am at the wall daily - it is good conditioning work. 😀
  • mom23mangos
    @wanderingarcher - like Tiistitanium said, the wall is great. Practice both front facing and back facing. But I also encourage your to spend a few minutes each day practicing kicking up away from the wall. Learn how to bail out. For me, if I know the wall is there I will always over kick until my foot touches it.
  • wanderingarcher
    @wanderingarcher - like Tiistitanium said, the wall is great. Practice both front facing and back facing. But I also encourage your to spend a few minutes each day practicing kicking up away from the wall. Learn how to bail out. For me, if I know the wall is there I will always over kick until my foot touches it.
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
    I’m adding in the handstand to my “Greasing the Groove” routine, hoping to build up the neurological aspect to make the movement more fluid and natural.
    And because it’s fun. Lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Bookmarked for next month, interested to see if I can awaken my inner child :smile:
  • mom23mangos
    I’m adding in the handstand to my “Greasing the Groove” routine, hoping to build up the neurological aspect to make the movement more fluid and natural.

To "grease the groove", I practice handstands between lifting sets. I'm sure everyone in the gym is tired of seeing me upside down.
  • wanderingarcher

To "grease the groove", I practice handstands between lifting sets. I'm sure everyone in the gym is tired of seeing me upside down.
    Lol! I love this. ❤️
  • TiisTitanium
    I practice handstands between weightlifting sets as well - though when I am weightlifting I am at home so only instagram gets to see :smiley: )

When I go to my gym it is all gymnastics based and handstands are mandatory and everyone is doing it. I seriously love my new gym a lot - it is good to be around people that understand the obsession with it.
  • wanderingarcher
    I practice handstands between weightlifting sets as well - though when I am weightlifting I am at home so only instagram gets to see :smiley: )

When I go to my gym it is all gymnastics based and handstands are mandatory and everyone is doing it. I seriously love my new gym a lot - it is good to be around people that understand the obsession with it.

Oh! I wish I had a gym like that around here!

• TiisTitanium
    @wanderingarcher - movement gym's seem really popular in my town. I was reading on a handstand website that we have an unusually strong and supportive handstand community. Down under people apparently like being upside down.

The only downside is that it is on the pricey side but to me it is worth every penny.
  • wanderingarcher
    @wanderingarcher - movement gym's seem really popular in my town. I was reading on a handstand website that we have an unusually strong and supportive handstand community. Down under people apparently like being upside down.

The only downside is that it is on the pricey side but to me it is worth every penny.
    Love it! 😂
  • TiisTitanium
    I am up to Day 15 of my 365 day handstand challenge and am very happy with the progress I have made as my balancing improves and confidence improves as well. The classes three times a week probably helps a lot as well. szbqr23ffk6p.png

• wanderingarcher
    I am up to Day 15 of my 365 day handstand challenge and am very happy with the progress I have made as my balancing improves and confidence improves as well. The classes three times a week probably helps a lot as well. szbqr23ffk6p.png

Awesome work!!