Handstand Challenge

Replies

• maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Started this morning. Hope to practice 5 minutes daily for 28 days-we'll see how it goes!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    welcome :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Dave Durante has some great videos on handstands. This one on compression awareness is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fonaizSkOZY&t=7s
  • maureenseel1984
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Dave Durante has some great videos on handstands. This one on compression awareness is fantastic.

Thanks for the tip! I've been able to kick up into the handstand a couple times but I can't hold it long.
  • J72FIT

Thanks for the tip! I've been able to kick up into the handstand a couple times but I can't hold it long.

Same here. He has drills to help with that. If you search around his youtube page you'll find it. Isn't it amazing how we take our legs and feet for granted to keep us upright?
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Started this morning. Hope to practice 5 minutes daily for 28 days-we'll see how it goes!

Good luck! :smile:
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member

Same here. He has drills to help with that. If you search around his youtube page you'll find it. Isn't it amazing how we take our legs and feet for granted to keep us upright?

Handstands are frustrating like that. I have been working on handstands for what seems like forever and i have only recently gotten to the point where I can kick up and hold balance on a regular basis. My goal for the end of 2019 is to join the 1 minute hold club. 2020 will be year of the press handstand :smile:

This lady is a pretty good resource for handstand and balance and kick ups as well. https://www.garagegymgirl.com/blog/principles-of-a-handstand-practice
  • J72FIT

Handstands are frustrating like that. I have been working on handstands for what seems like forever and i have only recently gotten to the point where I can kick up and hold balance on a regular basis. My goal for the end of 2019 is to join the 1 minute hold club. 2020 will be year of the press handstand :smile:

This lady is a pretty good resource for handstand and balance and kick ups as well. https://www.garagegymgirl.com/blog/principles-of-a-handstand-practice

Awesome!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

Heck, I've been working on handstands for close to 3 years and I still can't consistently kick up and hold and the longest balance I think I've ever gotten was around 30sec.
  • TiisTitanium
    @mom23mangos - it does seem slightly ambitious with the 1 minute hold but I practice handstands every day and do an hour long class every week were I have a coach critiquing my form and telling me where I am going wrong. According to my coaches once you have gotten over a 10 second balance the main thing that is preventing longer holds is lack of strength and endurance in the wrists, shoulders and forearms. I have strength and endurance just my balance has sucked which has been a source of frustration for me but in the past two weeks I seem to have finally gotten past that plateau.

It also helps that I have seem many of my handstand classmates go from a 10-20 second holds in January to over a minute holds in July so I know it is a really and achievable target if I keep being consistent and working at it.
  • mom23mangos
    I have no doubt you can achieve your goal @TiisTitanium. You have the form and strength down. I know my form is my downfall.

My comment was more to the new people starting out that it takes time and patience. Probably a lot more time and patience than they ever thought.
  • TiisTitanium
    Oh yes -getting good an exercise in discipline and commitment. It looks super easy but it is very difficult in reality. But it is also highly rewarding and a lot of fun and more people should give it a try :)
  • maureenseel1984
    I was able to get vertical away from the wall without falling today. I didn't get a lot of hang time but I did it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i got a whole 3 seconds from the wall after kicking up
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    I’ll start training on my handstands tomorrow and I’m hella excited for it but I know it’ll take a long time till I balance a handstand without the wall but that’s what excites me about it
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I'd have to have paramedics on standby. 😳
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    I’ve been practicing all week. I do it on my elbows (like yogis) for now.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Did any of you find increase in strength after doing handstands?
  • mom23mangos
    More increase in endurance than strength.

I've had a heck of a summer, but was pleased to get a 40sec hold today when practicing between squat sets.