Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can Sugar Cause Cancer

13»

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2017/05/15/sugar-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

In short, no. But being overweight can be a contributing factor.

You know what is a big factor in whether you get cancer, luck. We've all heard of people who smoke all their lives and don't get lung cancer. They have been lucky. At the same time there are people who have never smoked in their life, and they get lung cancer, unlucky. Sometimes that luck can be a a two edged sword though. Would you say a lifelong smoker who died by being hit by a bus was lucky because they never got cancer? Probably not, and yet five minutes previously you probably would have. What about if you knew that the next day a cancer would have developed. Would then it have been lucky that they got hit by a bus before that happened?

Now what I'm not saying is "well don't worry about it because you'll die of something eventually" (even though I know it sounds like that). What I'm saying is that sometimes, even with doing everything "right", luck works against us. If eating a couple of cookies makes you happy, and keeps you in check with regards to your weight, then eat cookies.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    deviette wrote: »
    http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2017/05/15/sugar-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

In short, no. But being overweight can be a contributing factor.

You know what is a big factor in whether you get cancer, luck. We've all heard of people who smoke all their lives and don't get lung cancer. They have been lucky. At the same time there are people who have never smoked in their life, and they get lung cancer, unlucky. Sometimes that luck can be a a two edged sword though. Would you say a lifelong smoker who died by being hit by a bus was lucky because they never got cancer? Probably not, and yet five minutes previously you probably would have. What about if you knew that the next day a cancer would have developed. Would then it have been lucky that they got hit by a bus before that happened?

Now what I'm not saying is "well don't worry about it because you'll die of something eventually" (even though I know it sounds like that). What I'm saying is that sometimes, even with doing everything "right", luck works against us. If eating a couple of cookies makes you happy, and keeps you in check with regards to your weight, then eat cookies.

I understand what you are saying, but it's not quite right. I have a lower likelihood of getting lung cancer by being a non-smoker. Doesn't mean I won't get it, but it's more than just "luck". It's playing with probabilities.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Anaerobic conditions at a cellular level contribute to cancers growth. The body has a system which is supposed to eliminate these early problematic cells, it does not always work particularly in the elderly, like myself now.

Persons with excess sugar in their diet are more inclined towards nurturing cancerous growths because of the tendency to have anaerobic conditions at a cellular level. I realise most of you who woo my information will never have any experience cancer or chronic health conditions, thankfully. When my cancer returns it will be considered to have metastasised, I had the primary removed etc, 18 years ago. With age the instances of cancers increase.

Back in the 1960's it was bad fats, all fats, which were the cause of heart problems, obesity, cancers and all the other chronic ailments, one had to be thick if you did not loose weight! Not, for a small proportion of the population who's situation is more complicate. There is no one size fits all, to this. Life would be really boring were we all the same. Now in the 21st C, we know more, fats are seen as a necessary component in hormone production so a good balanced diet is king. Even now we know too little of how the body works as a whole, we do not know all the intricacies of every organ in the body. Eating less and moving more does not work for all.

I know genetics play a huge part, as do epigenetics, (the actual switches one needs to avoid triggering because we have not found the off switch in the petri dish, yet), diet and all has its place. If one knows one has or probably has a predisposition to cancers, received through familial knowledge, I would think it would be prudent to attempt to tip the scales in your favour. I know the pain I had with my cancer and I really do not want it on my death bed, thank you. It was hard enough the first time round.

I am grateful for BBC programs like, The life Scientific, Inside Science, Inside Health, a sample of the radio output over here. Other factual scientific programmes are to be found on the Bb tv channels, Channel 4, and Itv, We are so fortunate to have this output.

I'm out of here now. Please think on what I have written. I really would rather the population had fewer cancer case numbers in the future. Hugs everyone.

I'd never heard these programs before. They sound excellent. Thanks for sharing it. :)