Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto Lifestyle Question

Options
124»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Helpful to them or in understanding their situation?

Almost everyone in the world can eat a high fat diet without issue, and most will see no harm to their health. They may see health improvements depending in their situation.

The article you linked is biased and coming from the presumption that a high fat diet is unhealthy, for which there is no scientific basis. It simply said the Inuit may need to eat a bit less omega 3 and 6 to meet their needs, and that their health tends to decline with western foods.

Ok, whatever. I just thought it was interesting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Helpful to them or in understanding their situation?

Almost everyone in the world can eat a high fat diet without issue, and most will see no harm to their health. They may see health improvements depending in their situation.

The article you linked is biased and coming from the presumption that a high fat diet is unhealthy, for which there is no scientific basis. It simply said the Inuit may need to eat a bit less omega 3 and 6 to meet their needs, and that their health tends to decline with western foods.

Ok, whatever. I just thought it was interesting.

It was. I just was not sure what you were wanting to point out. Apologies.
  • CarrieA140
    CarrieA140 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    SagePeach wrote: »
    I’ve been on it since mid February and love the food and find it easy to follow, and it got me to my goal pretty quickly, but the first few weeks were hard. I think you need to really research any diet before jumping into it. I would never recommend it for everyone. I think it’s great if you gained weight in the first place due to things like mindless or stress eating as the high protein and fat reduces hunger and cravings.

Not necessarily. Everyone has different satiety triggers.

For example, I don't find fat satiating at all, because I'm a volume eater and a fat-based diet consumes waaaaay too many of my daily calories in far too little substance. So, basically, not enough bang for the caloric buck for me. :)

Yep, fat does nothing for me but carbs keep me feeling full for hours. Everyone really is different :)

Fat has a high calorie density, so if you are used to grazing all day and eating bulky meals to "get full" then you will definitely notice that the portion sizes are smaller.

You need to learn how to differentiate between your body telling you that it is no longer hungry (i.e.,satiation) and the sensation of having a "full stomach", because they are not the same thing.

For example, you can eat a large head of lettuce, which is very bulky, but has next to nothing in nutritional value.
    Your stomach will be "full" to the point you could not possibly eat another bite, but your body will not be satiated because you only consumed ~100 calories.
    Conversely, to get the same 100 calories you would only need one tablespoon of butter. You will have higher satiation in terms of hormonal responses to the consumption of fat, even though your stomach is nowhere near "full" in terms of being stuffed to capacity.

Thus, if you are used to grazing on bulky meals then you might think the much smaller, denser keto meals are not enough to "get full", when they are actually the same amount of calories (or more) and have a higher degree of satiation in terms of how it will be metabolized.
    It is what is on the plate, not the size of the plate that matters.
    That is a difference in thinking, not a difference in biology.

So to be clear, everyone may have different habits, preferences, and things they are used to eating, but we all have pretty much the same hormonal and biological responses and biology is not malleable subject to opinion.

Yes...but...on keto you can still eat the large head of lettuce, as long as you offset it with some fat. A large plate of arugula is ten calories and only one net carb; an ounce of cheese will balance that and make it keto. You could make it a HUGE plate for another half-ounce of cheese. A green salad with some cucumbers, mushrooms, and a glug of full-fat dressing can easily be keto. You don’t have to sacrifice low-calorie volume; you just have to make sure the high-calorie foods you pair it with are low-carb.

I make a soup that has so much volume I struggle to eat a 500-calorie bowl of it. The bulk comes from riced vegetables and spinach, while most of the calories come from the reduced chicken broth and coconut milk I use as a base. Once I was low on calories and had two servings left in the fridge, so I tried to eat them both at once and thought my stomach might literally burst.

It doesn’t have to be either-or. Even on keto.

Flyingmolly, would you be willing to share your soup recipe. Sounds good.
  • CarrieA140
    CarrieA140 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Flyingmolly, would you be willing to share your soup recipe? It sounds very good.