Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Replies

• wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Yes. I started gyms when 16 and anot older male made comments about whether I might be wearing a g string. Luckily I wasn't permanently intimidated I just ignored all males after that.
    More recently in a large gym that offers very cheap no cancellation memberships, a guy felt up his own package as I was walking past , looking at me , making what I guess was supposed to be an orgasm face and groaning 'yea baby' , but looked like a disability face, no offence to disability I have one myself. I was on a trial and didn't go back.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited February 2019
    wearefab wrote: »
    Yes. I started gyms when 16 and anot older male made comments about whether I might be wearing a g string. Luckily I wasn't permanently intimidated I just ignored all males after that.
    More recently in a large gym that offers very cheap no cancellation memberships, a guy felt up his own package as I was walking past , looking at me , making what I guess was supposed to be an orgasm face and groaning 'yea baby' , but looked like a disability face, no offence to disability I have one myself. I was on a trial and didn't go back.

Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully that dude gets put in his place.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Very frequently and it's not restricted to just the gym, it's in public and on here too. Usually it's sexual harassment from a man and I mean not like simple flirting, but actually going a little too far like touching without being asked, showing things I don't need to see, or not taking no for an answer.

What ever is happening here needs to the moderators. You (nor any woman) should ever have to deal with someone's ignorance like that. Take screenshots of the post or message and report them.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Very frequently and it's not restricted to just the gym, it's in public and on here too. Usually it's sexual harassment from a man and I mean not like simple flirting, but actually going a little too far like touching without being asked, showing things I don't need to see, or not taking no for an answer.

What ever is happening here needs to the moderators. You (nor any woman) should ever have to deal with someone's ignorance like that. Take screenshots of the post or message and report them.

I've done that before but never got a response so I just ignore
  • Phirrgus

Ah I didn't realize there's an ignore function. Good move. I have 3 daughters (all grown) and it never ceases to amaze me how oblivious and ignorant some men (and women too) can be.
  • LovelySavannah

Ah I didn't realize there's an ignore function. Good move. I have 3 daughters (all grown) and it never ceases to amaze me how oblivious and ignorant some men (and women too) can be.

I don't understand it either. Especially when other women do it to men, it makes me want to slap them.
  • Phirrgus

I don't understand it either. Especially when other women do it to men, it makes me want to slap them.

Yeah me too.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    No. Never belittled, never harassed, never even flirted with-- not even when I was 20-something and (relatively) hot. I've never even observed any such behavior. People in gyms are there to work out. They aren't interested in much else, in my experience.
  • LovelySavannah
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Who are you reporting them to? I've always gotten a response. It may be a little delayed depending on what else is going on, but always got a response.

@Alex

That's understandable. Though the sexual harassment on here is the least of my worries, because can simply ignore. The ones that were my main concern are ones in public or in the gym.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    This is a pretty easy one -

Have you ever witnessed, participated in, or been a victim of, verbal harassment at a gym? How often - frequently, sometimes, occasionally, almost never?

If yes, what type? Sexual harassment, verbal intimidation, insults or derogatory comments, something else?

And, was the victim of said harassment a man or a woman (or someone who reads as a man or woman)?

And if anyone wishes, bonus question: are you a man or woman (or read like one) - just to see if we pay more attention to when people within our own perceived group are harassed, vs. other groups.

Bonus bonus question: if this is something you see sometimes or frequently, do you do anything about it when you see it? Or what do you think should be done about it, if anything?

There are so many gym idiots .That slam the weights for no good reason! Run around doing for weight machines at once saying they are super setting when the gym is full. I had said to two guys the gyms to full for super setting. Using the only bench press in the gym to do leg stretch! But when you ask nice to use the machine they always understand and move. Just sit on the machine on there phone! You don't know if there are doing a program from their phone or texting. But everyone is mostly nice.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    I have had ladies ask if i can lift my top up! But there are in their 70s!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    I have had ladies ask if i can lift my top up! But there are in their 70s!

I enjoy watching the advanced lifters in my gym. It's like my anatomy book coming to life, especially, on lifts that I have not practised enough. I will ask for permission first, though, and they never had a problem with that. They are great teachers.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'd also report it, as I know it's not considered okay at MFP and they will do something. If there's an issue at your gym -- which I don't think is common or normal -- I'd report it too, and if they don't do something I'd change gyms. I've never seen an issue at my gym, and I think that's a minimum requirement.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Not harassed, but I definitely attracted creepers even when I weighed 250 lbs. I was doing a weighted hip thrust and I noticed that there was an older man on a machine facing me. The next time I waited to do my hip thrusts when there was no one on that machine. As soon as I started my hip thrusts the he came over and sat on the machine and said hello. FYI I was 49 or 50 at the time but I was still getting carded to buy drinks because of the weight.
This discussion has been closed.