Olive oil causing tummy problems

124»

Replies

• simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Anytime I ingest more than 20 - 25 grams of any kind of fat at once, I get a stomach ache, nausea, bloating, gas that lasts for hours. It's also generally a couple of days before I'll be able to go to the bathroom again. A Tbsp of olive oil doesn't quite reach that 20 gram threshold that makes me ill, but I completely sympathize with your symptoms!

Yea what you described is exactly how I feel..and it's typically 30 mins right after breakfast with the olive oil..maybe the yolk from the 2 eggs and the olive oil combined is too much fat?
  • simply_bubbz
    deviette wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks a tablespoon of olive oil isn’t too much? I frequently cook a large portion of vegetables in a tablespoon of EVOO and eat it in one sitting with no ramifications. Yum!

But when you cook with it, you actually lose a lot of the oil onto the base of the pan, and some is absorbed into the food. OP is just poring uncooked olive oil onto their cooked meal, twice a day.

When I’m not being conscious of calories, I’ve even cooked with more than a tablespoon and had no issues.

That may be so, but you are not pouring 1-2TBSP olive oil on your food (as a "sauce" or "dressing") on your food, twice a day for a week running. Context, please.

I like very oily salad dressings, pesto sauces, and browned butter sauce, so yeah, I basically do...

So it sounds like you're regularly eating this way. OP has been eating this way for just a week, which is probably why she's having some issues. Dramatically increasing fat in the diet can have this type of impact on some people.

I agree this may be the issue too...I'm new to it so like you said that may be the reason...I did notice that it wasn't bad at all today...i also drunk more water today as well which could've helped
  • simply_bubbz
    shaumom wrote: »
    If you are eliminating the olive oil and trying something else, and it seems to indicate that you were right, and olive oil was the problem? A couple things that could be involved OTHER than having an allergy or intolerance to olives.

1. I would check the olive oil brand online and see if it is one of those that have bene discussed as basically screwing up their olive oil. There is a under-discussed scandal in the olive oil industry with a lot of olive oil brands having lower quality oil than they are supposed to, like having olive oil that has oxidized (which could produce compounds that can cause you problems) or even adulterating the oils, like mixing in OTHER oils+ dyes, etc... (this is an old article about it, but there is more recent information out there that indicates it is still an issue, and I believe had a link that may have mentioned brands: https://lifehacker.com/the-most-and-least-fake-extra-virgin-olive-oil-brands-1460894373 )

2. If your olive oil is a nicer one, or cold pressed, it could be higher in histamine (olives are naturally higher in histamine, so if an olive oil isn't as processed, sometimes the oil retains more of this histamine level). If you have any hay fever allergies right now, or have oral allergy syndrome, or any mild food allergies, sometimes this higher histamine level can be enough to set off a mild reaction. I know a few folks with major allergies who have this issue, and have had it myself (and wow did that take some work to figure out what was going on!).

If, on trying the new fat, you are still having issues, you might want to check out your gall bladder, or at least check to see if ANY fat in a concentrated amount is an issue. The gall baldder is used processing fats, so when it has problems, all fats become a problem. The first sign would, I believe, be when you are having trouble with larger amounts of fats at a time, you know?

If you are feeling really fatigued, might be good to check celiac disease, as this disease can cause issues with gall bladder and kidneys sometimes, and sometimes fatigue is the major symptom (and not gut issues).

Good info. thank u!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    If you think it is the Olive Oil, then cut back on it. There are plenty of other healthy fats out there - coconut oil, avocado oil, tallow, ghee, sesame oil, pretty much any nut oils (not peanut, they are a legume). I usually put 1T of Olive Oil on my salad along with some balsamic vinegar with no issues. Or try cooking in the oil instead of just putting it on top of whatever you are eating. Like last night, I made bacon and then I saved the bacon drippings and used some to saute some mushrooms and zucchini and used the rest to fry a couple of eggs.

I follow a Keto diet and my diary is open, feel free to take a look, and if you want to see what those foods actually look like on my plate instead of just in a diary, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share my IG account.

GL!
    tallow is animal fat usually from beef or mutton(lamb).

I am well aware what tallow is. What about my post led you to believe that I don't?

you said plenty of healthy fats there so you put plant and nut oils which then you added tallow and ghee which are animal fats. but you said not peanut oil? animals fats while they may not be unhealthy they are saturated fats where the plant and nut oils arent . some would say one is better than the other. I never said you didnt know what tallow was .

Coconut oil is saturated.

forgot about that