Banana Sushi Rant

Options
13»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I've seen it. Didn't click on it as all I'm picturing is banana and raw fish, not really an appetizing combination. Yeah, I have yet to see one advertisement for food that actually sounds good
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    tk2222 wrote: »
    To be honest I dont understand people whose response when someone offers something like a recipe for free is to get annoyed because they dont personally have a use for it. Well....then dont make it.

There isnt some sort of moral imperative to post only things that you personally find to be helpful. Yeah, there are things in the world you likely won't find a use for....why is that annoying though?

I'd argue its a bad recipe. Its needlessly complicated, unoriginal, shoddily titled and possibly out of place on a calorie-counting community. I've found it oddly annoying every time I see it as well, some pretentiously smarmy out-of-place enthusiasm radiating from its nauseating list of ingredients.

In its defense, since I don't especially like the fruit+PB combo, and the addition of coconut makes me think of the cloying, scratchy, dehydrating crunch of it in my mouth and the tortilla is just weird (its savory! At least make it a crepe...) every time the thing pops up, it ruins my appetite a bit, which I suppose is helpful in a reductive sort of way when trying to lose weight.

Huh well you and I read a different thread then because the one I saw was a mom just throwing out this recipe as an idea that kids might like and I sort of assumed that is what this was about as it was literally right next to this in the forum when I first saw it. Not pretentious at all and rather kindly worded if anything even if you don't like the recipe.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/434682/banana-sushi-rolls

So maybe if you read that you can understand more why I reacted the way I did when I saw this. Also hadn't noticed that post I linked was from 2012 originally.

I definitely also meant the glossy post that keep popping up in the MFP home feed (or whatever you call it) not a well-intentioned personal kids recipe. I was also participating in mocking the poor peanut butter banana tortilla in a spirit of joyous exaggeration. Its ok, I leave it. It can live on if it likes.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I just made this up, I swear:

Banana Tacos.
    1 Flour Tortilla
    1 banana
    2 TBSP peanut butter
    shredded coconut

Spread peanut butter on one side of tortilla
    Slice banana, place slices on top of peanut butter
    Sprinkle with shredded coconut
    Fold tortilla and eat like a taco

Let me know what you think. I'm working on a variation for a burrito but it's going to require some recipe testing first. Also, banana lasagna.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    To be honest I dont understand people whose response when someone offers something like a recipe for free is to get annoyed because they dont personally have a use for it. Well....then dont make it.

There isnt some sort of moral imperative to post only things that you personally find to be helpful. Yeah, there are things in the world you likely won't find a use for....why is that annoying though?

It would be like if I at my local coffee shop happened to see an ad posted on the bulletin board for guitar lessons and my response was to get annoyed because I dont even want guitar lessons. So annoyed that I decide to write a letter about how I dont find guitar lessons to be useful and post it right next to the original post. It's a weird rather narcissistic thing to do.

As you later realized, this thread was in response to an ad or a post in the feed.

But I have a similar reaction you did when someone complains about ads. Ads? What ads? My internet experience has been ad-free for over a decade.

And my brain just edits out the feed.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Best dessert sandwich ever:

- 2 slices sprouted-grain bread
    - A sliced banana
    - Handful of pitted Medjool dates
    - Gobs of almond butter
    - 2-4 tablespoons of honey

Directions:
    1. Spread a thick layer of almond butter on both slices of bread
    2. Arrange slices of banana to cover the almond butter on one slice of bread, and dice up the dates and place them on the other slice of bread
    3. Drizzle honey over both slices and assemble into a sandwich
    4. Toast on a George Foreman or other sandwich press until toasted, melted, and obey-gooey

No clue as to how many calories would be in this, but I can tell you that this is worth every single one of them!
  • ninasnonsense
    ninasnonsense Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    why dress it up? I just put peanut butter on a spoon in one hand, hold a banana in the other, and then alternate bites. If I really want to fancy it up, I dip the peanut butter spoon in chocolate chips or coconut. I've also been known to sub cookie butter for peanut butter.

Assuming a medium sized banana and one tablespoon of PB, I'm 200 calories all in, plus the chips or coconut if I decide to use it. No prep needed.

. . . That actually sounds amazing. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I had a sliced banana in a bowl with chocolate syrup on it. Basics are the best.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat this pretty much every day (even before the ad). I use a TJ low carb tortilla and and single serve packet of almond butter and pretty small bananas. No coconut. Love it.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Huh well you and I read a different thread then because the one I saw was a mom just throwing out this recipe as an idea that kids might like and I sort of assumed that is what this was about as it was literally right next to this in the forum when I first saw it. Not pretentious at all and rather kindly worded if anything even if you don't like the recipe.

So basically, you went off half-cocked after not actually reading the original post in this thread. Which clearly talks about a video and describes a different recipe.