Struggling 43yo Widow

2»

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    @mgobluetx When I was in a very stressful situation earlier this year that lasted several weeks, I forgot my online banking password that I use literally every day. I also forgot my phone number. There was no remotely physical reason for it. You've been under a lot more stress, for a much longer period, so I'm not surprised you're experiencing somewhat impaired cognitive function. I'm sorry you're struggling. Your heart is broken, and it's understandable. Please don't give up on brighter days ahead. Grief like that is overwhelming and never fully goes away, but it does get better. Would your husband want you mourning yourself to death, or would he want to see you taking care of yourself?
  • GreenMantle
    GreenMantle Posts: 13 Member
    I am so, so, so sorry for your loss. I can't say that grief ever stops, but it will dull over time. That's hard to hear and hard to believe, but just know that it won't always hurt quite this bad. I can tell you I started exercising (15 minutes of moderate to vigorous cardio and 10,000 steps, nothing insane) to lose weight, and then I kept it up because I felt so much better. Physically and mentally. Maybe you can try working up to that.

I don't usually have many friends on here because it's all kind of personal, but if you want please send me a friend request! Even if you just need to talk.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2018
    Xerogs wrote: »
    rekindle some old interest and channel your energy.

A very good point made. Until reading this post I hadn't realised that is exactly what I did.

I'm mad about motorbikes, as you can probably gather from my avatar, got my first when I was old enough to get a license.
    However that stopped when I got married, the usual spousal pressure and thought I'd grown out of that phase.
    Been in the UK a year and decided I'd give it a try. Thought it would be a whim and not last long, after all the weather isn't great.
    11 years and 150,000+ miles later it has become the centre of my life. Just about all my friends were made through it.

I do hope you are able to find ways for your pathways to join up again. Do you have photographs prior to meeting your husband? Possibly looking at them and trying to remember may help get the process started. Maybe your friends can help fill in the blanks.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 536 Member
    mgobluetx wrote: »
    My 47 year old husband died unexpectedly last July and I’m still a wreck. I’m seeing two therapists, but I’ve been having terrible memory problems since he died. I lost 17lbs in one month in February, but then I stopped weighing and logging my food for some reason. We don’t have any kids and I had to move from our home, so I live alone in a new city with my two dogs and only know my sister here.

Eating is the only thing I enjoy these days, so I overdo it almost every day. I don’t have my best friend anymore and I can’t get a job because of my memory problems. It’s been almost a year and I still feel like I’m in shock. I’m not looking for sympathy, but hoping someone reads this and can offer some suggestions about how to get back on track and stay there. Part of me doesn’t even care if I’m fat. I know it will become problematic as I get older, but the depth of my grief and despair is so vast right now, I feel like just trying to keep myself and my dogs alive is all I can handle right now. But, my clothes are all too tight and it’s very uncomfortable. I just can’t seem to stay on track because the motivation just isn’t there. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi mgobluetx, you are still grieving, and I'm so sorry. Allow yourself to grieve. Lights will appear dim, they can be for some time. This always sound so cold, but time does heal, and some day in the future you are going to start caring about your health. We cannot do this all in one day, we take this one step at a time.

It is great that you are seeing therapists. Outside influences and different perspectives can do incredible things for us. Much strength to you and your dogs!