Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you could choose how you die

123457»

Replies

• twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Sadly science will fix us and most of us will never die. :-)
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    I want to die saving another person's life!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Deviette wrote: »
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm likely to die of, but I do know I definitely do not want to go in my sleep. That thought has always terrified me. I actually want my death to be something painful. I want to be well aware of it at the moment. I always assumed I'd go in a car wreck, but hopefully not for a very long time.
    You know I never expected that sort of response. So often it's seen as somewhat comforting that a death was painless and while sleeping. It's a fascinating insight :smiley:

Only when people die in their sleep, we assume it's peaceful, but we don't really know that. It's easier for us to believe that.

Peaceful my butt. My uncle died in his sleep. My aunt woke up next to his cold, dead body. She recovered miraculously well, but I know I would be haunted for the rest of my life. I'd wake up every morning with the memory of my love's blue and motionless face just inches from mine. Gives me shivers.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I hope I go while doing something I love.....running, hiking/backpacking, camping. Then my loved ones can be consoled knowing that I got to do the thing that I love one last time. Not eaten by a bear or a cougar though......man what a way to go! I would prefer a nice neat stroke, heart attack, falling off of a cliff, tree falling on me (this did happen to someone I knew), lightening, hypothermia, etc.

A former colleague who was a life long runner, track teams, team every day at lunch time, very fit.
    He was 32 years old when he died from cardiac arrest within 200 yards of finishing a half marathon.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Doing something I love.
    Travelling to Ireland and getting stuck out in the rain and getting hypothermia.
    Travelling to France and tripping off the side of a castle.
    Hiking the PCT and getting attacked by a cougar.
    Running the Boston Marathon, crossing under 3 hours and having my heart just stop.
    Scratch that, running an ultra marathon and winning and than having my heart stop.
    Or in the end...
    Dying of old age surrounded by my family during my 102nd birthday.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I want to be able to choose when to die when it's inevitable that I will sooner rather than later (from a disease). I want to be able to choose it as a relief from a more prolonged suffering.

As an anxious person, I don't think it would be good for me to be aware of nearing death, so that makes me want to say I wish it could be sudden and quick - but I don't like the thought of my loved ones dealing with that kind of shocked grief.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I find this morbid and hate seeing the topic. But to answer the question we rarely get to choose so just like not knowing the sex of any of my children (by choice) I will just have to accept what happens.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Whatever way it is, I certainly hope it is without regrets
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I hope that what ever takes my life does with out me being in pain. I have type 2 diabetes. I seen people who have lost limbs because of there diabetes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I hope that what ever takes my life does with out me being in pain. I have type 2 diabetes. I seen people who have lost limbs because of there diabetes.

Amen. My grandma lost both legs below the knee before she passed. Not pretty.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

If we ever get to the point where this is possible, we're going to have to make a choice between having children or immortality. Can't have both until we can leave this planet. That choice might be on an individual basis though.
  • NorthCascades
    rsclause wrote: »
    I find this morbid and hate seeing the topic. But to answer the question we rarely get to choose so just like not knowing the sex of any of my children (by choice) I will just have to accept what happens.

I think this depends how you look at it. I mean, suicide is a thing, and we all choose not to do it every day.

The random thoughts you get on long drives: Highways only work because everybody agrees it's better to be alive than dead.

On another level, people take enormous risks sometimes, knowing what the outcome might be. And most of us don't regularly do anything stupid.

I'm not posting this to be argumentive, I think it's life affirming to realize that any of us can end this at any time, and we all choose life. :smile:
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited November 2018

If we ever get to the point where this is possible, we're going to have to make a choice between having children or immortality. Can't have both until we can leave this planet. That choice might be on an individual basis though.

Interesting idea
  • Vikka_V
    If I could choose I'd choose euthanasia when the time comes that I am suffering.

I have no idea what I'm likely to die from, probably some kind of cancer, organ failure or car accident. Those seem like they claim the most lives.
  • NorthCascades
    Avalanche, crevasse, or fall on rock.
  • jeffbrum77
    jeffbrum77 Posts: 3 Member
    If I make it to become a burden on my family, help me roll my wheelchair to a remote section of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. With my apologies to the National Park Service.
  • explosion or something quick. ANYTHING but drowning.
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Funny, we always tell our kids we endeavor to be healthy in order to live longer so we have more time to make them crazy. They don't seem to appreciate our humor.

I hope to die at the end of May when I am 90 after Mother's Day, my birthday, and our anniversary. That way hopefully I am able to visit with all of my important people at some point at celebrations that month before I pass away. I would like to just slow down and one day have my body quit in a very nondramatic fashion. I have had elderly relatives go this way and it seems to be the easiest way to go for the people left behind. I want them to say, "She was ready."

Family history makes me believe I will either go quickly with a heart attack or slowly with cancer. I hope it is a heart attack! Lingering with cancer is horrible.
  • Vikka_V
    I spend a fair amount of time thinking about when I die I don't want people going through my stuff. I kinda want to die and have all my belongings go with me, so maybe carbon monoxide poisoning and then my place to blow up or catch fire
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Laughing

442886966_1280x720.jpg