Flexible dieting vs clean eating

Options
1235»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    As long as my cookie didn't fall on the floor - it's clean.

If you eat a fairly healthy diet, eating extra doesn't earn you bonus points.

I've done best at eating ~75% healthy (fresh fruit & veggies, lean protiens, complex carbs/whole grains), the rest - snacks and less than "clean" foods. Doing this I have never felt deprived or ended up with severe cravings that lead to binging on stuff.

Look up Olympic athletes eating on YouTube - they have interviews showing what they eat, and guess what, it's NOT "clean eating", and these are the best athletes in the world that need to be at thier best for competition.

09d63cbb7806836f35f2c0f2e99dcd61.png
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kgb6days wrote: »
    CICO is NOT that simple. it is way more complex than that. I've learned so much recently about insulin levels and how weight gain/loss is governed quite a bit hormonally. I would suggest reading the book The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. Eye opening

This👌

@justinkimcentral You asked whether you would burn the same amount of fat eating mostly "clean" with the occasional "unclean" food as you would eating a totally "clean" diet. The way you worded your question made it seem like you genuinely didn't know and wanted to hear from experienced people who did know the answer.

Now after reading all these well-thought-out responses with sources from knowledgeable members of the community, the completely misinformed post above this response is the one you decided to go with?

If your mind was already made up then why ask in the first place?

The fact that we need to eat less food, well calories, does not sell books or fit a magic effortless bullet.

Funnily enough, I like diet books. Not the specific food type kind, but more the strategy kind. I usually find some valuable ideas even if I don't agree with the premise of the book as an absolute system. The dieting industry still makes money off of me. If one is creative enough, the book would sell without having to go full woo. The problem is that less fantastical ideas are harder to write convincingly and require more effort. Using cheap tactics like blaming and disputing diets, fearmongering, magic beans, and "what they don't want you to know" sounds like a more appealing option.

I've read a lot of food related books that were mentioned here - but I get them all from the library ;)

Lucky. I don't have that option.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    CICO is NOT that simple. it is way more complex than that. I've learned so much recently about insulin levels and how weight gain/loss is governed quite a bit hormonally. I would suggest reading the book The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. Eye opening

This👌

@justinkimcentral You asked whether you would burn the same amount of fat eating mostly "clean" with the occasional "unclean" food as you would eating a totally "clean" diet. The way you worded your question made it seem like you genuinely didn't know and wanted to hear from experienced people who did know the answer.

Now after reading all these well-thought-out responses with sources from knowledgeable members of the community, the completely misinformed post above this response is the one you decided to go with?

The fact that we need to eat less food, well calories, does not sell books or fit a magic effortless bullet.

Funnily enough, I like diet books. Not the specific food type kind, but more the strategy kind. I usually find some valuable ideas even if I don't agree with the premise of the book as an absolute system. The dieting industry still makes money off of me. If one is creative enough, the book would sell without having to go full woo. The problem is that less fantastical ideas are harder to write convincingly and require more effort. Using cheap tactics like blaming and disputing diets, fearmongering, magic beans, and "what they don't want you to know" sounds like a more appealing option.

There are books that talk about simply eating less calories than you burn, you just need to find them. I for example learned everything I had to know about bulking and cutting with Mike Matthews books and the digital books I purchased on www.aworkoutroutine.com (the building muscles book aka how to bulk book and the fat loss books aka the how to cut book) . They don't promote any diets out there other than you need to eat less calories than you burn for cutting and the opposite for bulking. Of course the books go more into depth. My point is just that there are books out there who don't promote any fancy diets, just simple stuff.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »

This👌

There are books that talk about simply eating less calories than you burn, you just need to find them. I for example learned everything I had to know about bulking and cutting with Mike Matthews books and the digital books I purchased on www.aworkoutroutine.com (the building muscles book aka how to bulk book and the fat loss books aka the how to cut book) . They don't promote any diets out there other than you need to eat less calories than you burn for cutting and the opposite for bulking. Of course the books go more into depth. My point is just that there are books out there who don't promote any fancy diets, just simple stuff.

Eric Helms' Muscle and Strength Pyramids is another excellent one. He goes into great depth about both nutrition and training, with no woo or silliness. Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is pretty good as well.

Yes anvil, but they are scientifically based. Who believes that in the media? Lol