Thought on diet sodas

12346»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
  • kittyluvduck
    kittyluvduck Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2018
    See how it affects you. Aspartame gives me headaches and stomach problems. Surculose literally makes me vomit. I drink Zevia which uses stevia. Their version of Dr pepper is horrible just so you know
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Big fan of diet Pepsi and Diet Coke.

I feel like this cannot possibly be a true statement. I've never known of a single individual who finds both DP and DC to be enjoyable, it's either one or the other. And the right answer is clearly Diet Coke.

True for me as well... I drink and am a big fan of both. I buy whichever is on sale. However, I realize I am an exception.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Big fan of diet Pepsi and Diet Coke.

I feel like this cannot possibly be a true statement. I've never known of a single individual who finds both DP and DC to be enjoyable, it's either one or the other. And the right answer is clearly Diet Coke.

I like both, though neither is my favorite (Diet Mt. Dew). I had to pick up a variety of diet sodas due to where I live and what's availible (on sale).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I think they taste great with certain foods like homemade pizza, tacos, or pasta with red sauce...totally hit the spot, especially Diet Pepsi or Pibb Zero. Me and my husband buy a 12 pack about once a month, and drink a couple of cans each week. That's exactly the right amount for me, I think. I used to drink zero water and 1 diet soda with both lunch and dinner every day. I feel a lot better drinking tons of water and just having the occasional diet soda.

I don't think it's somehow evil or causes severe problems in the average adult - but like anything else, excessive consumption is probably not a great idea.

I also really like flavored Perrier or LaCroix and plain San Pellegrino, but I don't feel like those are remotely similar to diet soda aside from the fact they're both carbonated. If I'm craving a Diet Pepsi, Perrier isn't going to touch that craving...same with the reverse. Just not the same (for me).

Yeah, I understand the combination of homemade pizza and pasta with red sau.....

wait.

Pibb Zero ??

Post Reported !
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Diet Vernors

Wait, wait, wait, wait... hold up.

There's Diet Vernor's and I didn't know about it?

Well. I'm going shopping this weekend.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I have been a diabetic for many years. I have never ever had a Dr. suggest to me drinking diet soda is a good idea. Yes of course I have been told not to drink a regular soda unless in a diabetic sugar crash. Endocrinologists across the board advise against diet soda to their diabetic patients. I was very surprised to see someone say that Dr's were informing patients to drink diet sodas.

Again I think, many people have addiction to diet soda, sure reads like some here have for Diet Dr. Pepper. I admit once in awhile I like the IBC Diet Root Beer. But for most part try to stay away. Overall I think all the um interesting items that go into diet sodas may not be good for the human body, but it is up to each person to decide if they wish to partake of it.

yet many drs say not to drink anything high is sugar if in a diabetic crash. . but then again if you are managing your diabetes properly you shouldnt have bad crashes.

I had an uncle who didnt and ate what he wanted. he had to get body part after body part amputated because he wasnt managing his diabetes. a friend of ours who died a few months from diabetes complications used to drink soda or eat something high in sugar because it would be low, then later on he would have a crash because of bringing it up so fast with the sugary items earlier that day. I dont think an endocrinologist or any dr is going to say drink soda. most say a small piece of fruit or even if no fruit is available orange juice,but to get your insulin in asap as well. never heard them suggest soda for a crash.most I heard advised against it.

I have seen people start hallucinating due to too high or too low sugar. its scary.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I think diet sodas are a very good substitute for regular sodas, except for my personal reservations about the sugar substitutes and their possible long-term effects on health. I sure do like the carbonation, though. I've learned to drink homemade herbal iced teas instead, in all sorts of wonderful flavors! Go ahead and enjoy your diet sodas! Try some unsweetened (or use Stevia) iced tea once in a while, too. My favorite diet soda are anything lemon-lime, and Vernor's Ginger Ale. In this heat, it's important to stay hydrated, so drink away!