Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat only diet

123457»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Do did this Shawn Baker guy that everyone seems to idolize and respect as "the go-to carnivore guy" ever get his medical license reinstated?

He has around a 15 minute video on YouTube related to the circumstances behind that. I had no idea it was suspended. I personally like the guy. I'm a rower, though, and found him to be pretty open minded and very transparent, even though personally I disagree with his health choices. I've known Shawn (albeit not that well) for years through rowing, not through following him on Instagram.

Before he came onto the scene with his Instagram and on the Joe Rogan show, etc., he was just a guy that was working on rowing WR 500 and 1000m rows (which he ended up breaking). Now, it seems, he's also posted some medical reports where vegans are saying "see, he's not healthy" and there's a new whole debate about his health, all while he's still performing extremely well on athletic performances. Extreme low carbers and paleo supporters say his numbers are all explainable.

Regardless of what you think about him, the guy has put himself out there as a human "guinea pig". I personally think anything that extreme for long periods of time isn't healthy. His performances have defied the norm, no question. Whether or not his extreme lifestyle if a good thing/bad thing long term remains for debate.

BTW, I'm mostly Vegan, so no agenda here on the Paleo, ultra low carb bandwagon...

While you can certainly still have great athletic performance on a carnivore diet, biological fact remains that ketosis and fat oxidation doesn't support high bursts of energy as well as a diet with carbs glucose does. There's no way around that. I dont know the guy, maybe he does it like most other people who are touted as elite low carb athletes and carbs up before an event has enough gluconeogenesis. Maybe he's a freak of nature. IMO He'd still probably perform a tad better fueled by carbs in an intense event.

FIFY

No, not gluconeogenesis. As far as I know the body doesn't do enough gluconeogenesis to support someone doing intense workouts. Especially not in keto where the whole shtick is making your body use less glucose. If you have any resources showing where people created enough glucose through gluconeogenesis to support things like rowing world records, high intensity exercise that eats through energy like it's nothing, feel free to show them to me. And anyway, gluconeogenesis is still less efficient than having filled glycogen stores available beforehand.

So you are assuming he is lying or cheated on his WRs? Or that fat, or lactic acid, or whatever, is enough to fuel his high intensity workouts?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2018
    https://philmaffetone.com/big-fat-surprise/

Perhaps this is what Baker (and others) are arguing. There are those on here that know way more about metabolism than I claim to. I seem to remember that most arguing you didn't need carbs for high performance athletics claimed that most studies hadn't examined athletes given adequate time to adapt to ultra low carbs. Seems that this was the purpose of this study that was cited in this article (study is at the end).

Again, I've tried ultra low carb and was miserable. Not for me for sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    https://philmaffetone.com/big-fat-surprise/

Perhaps this is what Baker (and others) are arguing. There are those on here that know way more about metabolism than I claim to. I seem to remember that most arguing you didn't need carbs for high performance athletics claimed that most studies hadn't examined athletes given adequate time to adapt to ultra low carbs. Seems that this was the purpose of this study that was cited in this article (study is at the end).

Again, I've tried ultra low carb and was miserable. Not for me for sure.

It's going to take a lot more tine and studies to convince everyone, plus a lot of n=1 self experiments. It took a long time for the idea that you don't need to carb load for endurance sports to get a small hold. Fat for a fuel choice for any sport is not a common idea. Plus, as you said, it won't be for everyone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Sounds gross.

And what a life with no raspberries. :disappointed:
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Humans = omnivores. Just look at your teeth & the GI tract. Compare this anatomy to say a horse & a lion.
    The eskimo paradox is completely environmental (evolution/geographic isolation for selection/mutations takes some time). #fad diet

Bottom line - humans can be carnivorous if they need to (all about adapting, having thumbs, & using tools)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Talking about tools, salt, refrigeration, fire and the meat grinder have made an all meat diet achievable.

Just as the blender made the raw vegan possible.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Talking about tools, salt, refrigeration, fire and the meat grinder have made an all meat diet achievable.

Just as the blender made the raw vegan possible.

Lmfao...astonishing volumes of food if not for the almighty blender
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Hi there. I’m trying to go on the no carb diet... does anyone have any recipes or tips and tricks they’d like to share???

Just meat and fat?

Just meat - sounds like heaven.

until its day 5 and you haven't pooped...

Not true. I follow a keto diet (for my epilepsy) and most days are actually close to zero carb. I used to be vegan/vegetarian and had the worst digestive issues I've ever experienced. The main one being chronic constipation, despite how much water I drank. Now my meat, egg, cheese, fats, diet not only has reduced my seizures but my constipation is completely gone, despite little to no fiber. And my stomach isn't swollen with trapped gas anymore.

So the 25 pound intestinal blockage you mentioned recently happened when you were vegan/vegetarian? What did you doctors think caused that?