Plant based

2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I think the most important thing to do is to locate reputable, science-based sources of information regarding plant-based nutrition. There's a lot of misinformation out there, including some that's already been mentioned on this thread. My go-to for nutrition questions is The Vegan RD (https://www.theveganrd.com/). I encourage checking out her site, starting with her Vegan Nutrition 101 section.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    hey everyone!!! thank you so very much for all the replies. I have been loving this WFPB way of living. Now I did have a set back. I had some body aches and felt like I had the flu. I was taking B12 and Omegas so I figured it was ViT D that I needed. I started taking that supplement and the aches went away. Other than that everything has been great. I am definitely wanting to be healthy so stay away from all the processed foods. Again add me as a friend if you would like. Thank u all

Everybody I know in real life considers foods like Oreos to be (vegan) processed foods. Here on MFP, however, a more technical definition is used, so basically any food that has anything done to it is considered processed, like canned beans.

Here I say Ultra Processed Foods and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • tina_bella1
    tina_bella1 Posts: 25 Member
    hey everyone!!! thank you so very much for all the replies. I have been loving this WFPB way of living. Now I did have a set back. I had some body aches and felt like I had the flu. I was taking B12 and Omegas so I figured it was ViT D that I needed. I started taking that supplement and the aches went away. Other than that everything has been great. I am definitely wanting to be healthy so stay away from all the processed foods. Again add me as a friend if you would like. Thank u all

You do not need to avoid all processed foods to maintain good health! In fact, during some times of year (like winter) when we don't have access to a lot of affordable fresh food, including some processed foods in your diet (like frozen or canned vegetables) can help us stay healthy. There are also some processed foods that make it much easier for us to meet our nutritional needs (like canned beans, tofu, tempeh, and plant milk) or foods that are nutrient-rich and help us create delicious meals (like coconut milk and nutritional yeast).

So many vegans find it smart to choose processed foods that fit well into our goals and just ditch the ones that don't.

My goodness!!! Thanks for the exclamation points. I hope I didn't offend you. Maybe I should of been more technical with my use of processed foods. Whatever works for you is fine. I buy frozen veggies ad have bought a can of beans once but if the label has added ingredients for example something to add color to the food then I will not buy it. Frozen veggie bags that is just the veggies I buy. If the can says water salt and organic beans I will buy it. I hope that clears things up for you.
  • tina_bella1
    tina_bella1 Posts: 25 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Everybody I know in real life considers foods like Oreos to be (vegan) processed foods. Here on MFP, however, a more technical definition is used, so basically any food that has anything done to it is considered processed, like canned beans.

Here I say Ultra Processed Foods and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf

Kshama thank you for the link. In the real world that made me giggle. Yes I am learning as I go along that I have to chose my words wisely on here.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Hi everyone! I recently started a plant based diet. I have to say I feel great! Lots of energy! I gradually made the transition which I think really helped alot. I've done lots of research and just feel this is the best option for me. If anyone has any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated. Add me if you would like. Thank you for reading

Hey there! 9 months plant based here and 75lbs down. You don’t need more than 10% protein intake a day. It’s a myth that we need increased protein intake, it’s a way for the meat and dairy industry to make more $$. Follow John McDougalls advice. He is like jesus in my home.

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Vegan for almost 5 years, and I find 10% protein to be low. I (personally) feel best and more satiated when I have close to 20% protein.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Do NOT supplement omega 3. Focus more on keeping a healthy omega 3 to omega 6 ratio.

Examples of omega 3: chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, brussel sprouts

Examples of omega 6: soy, pecans, sunflower seeds, nut butters
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Can I recommend to you the Much More Veg recipe book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It is a large book full of delicious and nutritionally balanced plant based recipes. I lend mine to everyone, and use it all the time :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Hi everyone! I recently started a plant based diet. I have to say I feel great! Lots of energy! I gradually made the transition which I think really helped alot. I've done lots of research and just feel this is the best option for me. If anyone has any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated. Add me if you would like. Thank you for reading

Hey there! 9 months plant based here and 75lbs down. You don’t need more than 10% protein intake a day. It’s a myth that we need increased protein intake, it’s a way for the meat and dairy industry to make more $$. Follow John McDougalls advice. He is like jesus in my home.

[Edited by MFP Staff]

There is a significant amount of science to back the claim that you need more protein, especially while dieting. Optimal ranges tend to fall in the 1.5-2.2g/kg (~1g/lb of your goal weight). Not only doesn't it support muscle sustainment, but it also supports strong muscles, bones and a healthy metabolism. The more muscle that you sustain during weight loss, the higher your metabolism will be, but also the more fat you will lose (since you won't be using amino acids for energy). On top of that, protein has a higher thermal effect of food, which means, you will burn more calories eating higher protein. And protein has the highest, along with fiber, satiety rating. He is one of many meta-analyses that support the need for higher protein; also, higher protein doesn't mean more meat and dairy. You can certainly get more protein from seitan, soy, legumes, etc...

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549