Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I personally like One Day At A Time. It has been very motivational and kind of a motto for this group I feel.
    Also, I don’t like change :D with anything. I’ll drive a car til it doesn’t run. Keep a cell phone til its stops working. And so on. Told you guys I’m a curmudgeon!

I admit that I personally love "one day at a time" but like you I am not much for change so I am a bit biased. I don't want to get in the way if some people do look at it negatively though.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I like "One day at a time" in one way because it keeps us coming back to share our successes and struggles and support each other. I'll get over my negative thoughts about it. :smile:

Not sure if we cross-posted or not, @NovusDies but you might have missed that I said not to worry about changing things on the last page.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Cheers, @JulieAL1969 !

I love these threads because we can share our train of thought.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @NovusDies I laughed! Yes, a grey washcloth! Thanks for your kind words. You are the backbone of our little thread. Xo
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @NovusDies Wow. Killer job on that man! Appreciate all the effort!

It feels more complete now. The only thing that is bothering me still is there is not really enough there for moderation goals. Nothing can be done about it for August now. Maybe if @orphia doesn't mind we can look at it again next month and see if there is something we can do about that.

You know, we kind of live in an “all or nothing” society. You really only see advice for people (with anything) who want to make a huge jump into things. And it probabaly leads to people completely giving up. You don’t see articles or videos on how to ease your way into the gym, it’s always about how you need to start working out 5 days a week and eating only healthy foods. And lots of people can’t handle such a huge swing.
    Same for drinking, there isn’t advice for people who aren’t problem drinkers and would just like to cut back. It’s either glorify over consumption, or alcohol is the devil.
    And that is why sometimes, on a bad personal day, I read this group thinking it is turning to those that are only going AF. But then I think of all the support I have received and I know better.

What we probably need is a section for drink moderators that uses the same kind of thoughts people use with cutting back on food. Encourage logging their consumption and cutting back to make it fit in their day kind of stuff. I liked that suggestion from @winogelato about the bracelets (not that I wear them) where she will wear 3 and take one off after each drink and stopping when her wrist was bare. If we work at it we can probably come up with enough.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member

It feels more complete now. The only thing that is bothering me still is there is not really enough there for moderation goals. Nothing can be done about it for August now. Maybe if @orphia doesn't mind we can look at it again next month and see if there is something we can do about that.

You know, we kind of live in an “all or nothing” society. You really only see advice for people (with anything) who want to make a huge jump into things. And it probabaly leads to people completely giving up. You don’t see articles or videos on how to ease your way into the gym, it’s always about how you need to start working out 5 days a week and eating only healthy foods. And lots of people can’t handle such a huge swing.
    Same for drinking, there isn’t advice for people who aren’t problem drinkers and would just like to cut back. It’s either glorify over consumption, or alcohol is the devil.
    And that is why sometimes, on a bad personal day, I read this group thinking it is turning to those that are only going AF. But then I think of all the support I have received and I know better.

True. I think the vibe usually heads toward who is actually commenting. I feel like I have been dominating (good or bad) because I am using this thread as a journal, a tool to process my thoughts. But I do wish I could moderate. Damn! About a decade ago, i could. So, I think the thread can continue to be for everyone, it will depend on the comments and posters. I agree that people know better and hopefully feel free to share their moderation tips/successes. On to the new month!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Yeah these are good points and I think that unlike with the gym or eating healthy (which when I’m giving advice on the boards about either of these topics I also encourage moderation and a slow but steady approach) there’s a sensitivity (at least on my part) that alcohol is or can be addictive and dangerous in a way that over eating or leading a Sedentary life isn’t. I’m comfortable telling someone who thinks that they are addicted to sugar because they read a blog post that said sugar is more addictive than heroin that it’s NOT physically addictive and that your body needs sugar to survive and that there’s no difference in sugar in fruit and sugar in a snickers in the metabolic ways that your body processes it. I’m comfortable telling people who think they have to go straight into “clean eating” with no cheat meals ever that often that sort of extreme approach leads to failure because it is vague and subjective and ultimately not the driver of weight loss - total calorie consumption is. I’m comfortable telling someone who’s led a very Sedentary life that starting a rigorous gym program may lead to injury or burnout and the important thing is to just start moving a little more each day and to find an activity you truly enjoy. Because in all those things I know that the benefit of small changes that last is definitively better than a big change that doesn’t stick.

However with alcohol consumption I know that’s not the case for everyone and there are certainly some for whom alcohol is not an option and the extreme approach is necessary and warranted. My dad was an alcoholic and that’s always in the back of my mind so I don’t want to over sell my mindful moderation that it could work for everyone because I know how slippery a slope and just how dire those consequences are - unlike continuing to eat some ice cream when a person is trying to make big dietary changes.

@NovusDies what do you feel the list is missing from a moderation perspective, I’m happy to try to fill in some gaps. Are you looking for references/resources or tips/personal observation?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

What we probably need is a section for drink moderators that uses the same kind of thoughts people use with cutting back on food. Encourage logging their consumption and cutting back to make it fit in their day kind of stuff. I liked that suggestion from @winogelato about the bracelets (not that I wear them) where she will wear 3 and take one off after each drink and stopping when her wrist was bare. If we work at it we can probably come up with enough.

I think we cross posted - as I said I’m happy to offer some tips that have worked for me.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi! I just found this group as July is almost over (I’m assuming we’ll do this again in August?). I’m fond of alcohol and tend to overdo. It doesn’t interfere with my responsibilities, but it does interfere with my healthy eating choices and exercise. I dropped 30 lbs to hit my goal weight two years ago by going AF except for a few planned moments (college friend reunion, Christmas Eve and Christmas) and that worked well. I think when I finally left “maintenance” and entered my “regaining” period is when I let myself stop being strict about alcohol consumption.

Now I have 40 to lose! I know I need to do something more permanent. I was thinking about allowing myself one occasion per month to have two drinks, counted within my calorie limit. And then to think long and hard once I hit maintenance again whether to increase this slightly or to try to keep that rule forever. Has anyone had success with a strategy like this? Does it strike you as a delusional plan? Thanks, all.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yeah these are good points and I think that unlike with the gym or eating healthy (which when I’m giving advice on the boards about either of these topics I also encourage moderation and a slow but steady approach) there’s a sensitivity (at least on my part) that alcohol is or can be addictive and dangerous in a way that over eating or leading a Sedentary life isn’t. I’m comfortable telling someone who thinks that they are addicted to sugar because they read a blog post that said sugar is more addictive than heroin that it’s NOT physically addictive and that your body needs sugar to survive and that there’s no difference in sugar in fruit and sugar in a snickers in the metabolic ways that your body processes it. I’m comfortable telling people who think they have to go straight into “clean eating” with no cheat meals ever that often that sort of extreme approach leads to failure because it is vague and subjective and ultimately not the driver of weight loss - total calorie consumption is. I’m comfortable telling someone who’s led a very Sedentary life that starting a rigorous gym program may lead to injury or burnout and the important thing is to just start moving a little more each day and to find an activity you truly enjoy. Because in all those things I know that the benefit of small changes that last is definitively better than a big change that doesn’t stick.

However with alcohol consumption I know that’s not the case for everyone and there are certainly some for whom alcohol is not an option and the extreme approach is necessary and warranted. My dad was an alcoholic and that’s always in the back of my mind so I don’t want to over sell my mindful moderation that it could work for everyone because I know how slippery a slope and just how dire those consequences are - unlike continuing to eat some ice cream when a person is trying to make big dietary changes.

@NovusDies what do you feel the list is missing from a moderation perspective, I’m happy to try to fill in some gaps. Are you looking for references/resources or tips/personal observation?

I’m not sure if my wording came off wrong. I wasn’t saying there isn’t a difference in an alcoholic and others who aren’t problem drinkers. I know that alcohol isn’t an option for many.
    I was just saying, to Novus point, that there aren’t many sources for people who can handle alcohol but maybe need to cut back because they consume maybe more than needed to lose weight
  • Ksandoval0401
    Ksandoval0401 Posts: 15 Member
    I also want to give a huge thanks to @JulieAL1969
    When I first posted in January it was Julie who welcomed me and responded to my first few posts. And now, so may of you have made this a great journey in 2018. But if Julie didn’t respond to those posts, I may have felt ignored and not continued posting. I would like to believe I was motivated to get my health in the right direction regardless. But this group has been a part the whole way so it is impossible to know.
    She also is the one who pointed me in the direction of the weight loss challenge group I am a part of on MFP. You have helped me a lot this year. If our paths ever cross in this great big world Julie, the first round of hot teas is on me :)

Yes, so grateful to Julie. When I hopped on the bandwagon a few days ago she reminded me that I could post as much as I wanted to, or not at all...it was nice to have permission to lurk and not feel pressured to post immediately!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I also want to give a huge thanks to @JulieAL1969
    When I first posted in January it was Julie who welcomed me and responded to my first few posts. And now, so may of you have made this a great journey in 2018. But if Julie didn’t respond to those posts, I may have felt ignored and not continued posting. I would like to believe I was motivated to get my health in the right direction regardless. But this group has been a part the whole way so it is impossible to know.
    She also is the one who pointed me in the direction of the weight loss challenge group I am a part of on MFP. You have helped me a lot this year. If our paths ever cross in this great big world Julie, the first round of hot teas is on me :)

I feel the same way, @JulieAL1969 made sure I felt welcome, but also comfortable enough to share.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I’m not sure if my wording came off wrong. I wasn’t saying there isn’t a difference in an alcoholic and others who aren’t problem drinkers. I know that alcohol isn’t an option for many.
    I was just saying, to Novus point, that there aren’t many sources for people who can handle alcohol but maybe need to cut back because they consume maybe more than needed to lose weight

I don't think it came off wrong, I think she was just expanding on what you said. ):