Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited July 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @NovusDies Thanks for the updated resources.

I've saved it and removed the EasyQuitDrinking app bit because there doesn't seem to be such an app.

I have the EasyQuitDrinking app on my phone. Perhaps it is a Canadian thing...????

I have Easyquitdrinking too but I'm in Las Vegas so I think it's everywhere,I found it in the play store for android,it also has a feature for just cutting back,,I am happy to report that I made it through my trip back home without drinking,,didn't even want to,hubs was,mom was,SIL was but I just didn't care,,thinking about the "tomorrow me"and the thought of a hangover while in the car the next day,roasting my buns off sweating just didn't sound to great so I passed

@whitpauly @lorrainequiche59

It's not on Google Play now. Our IT person even double-checked for me. Edited to add: Can you have a look at it on your phone?

It must have changed its name.

It says Easy Quit stop drinking sobriety counter,I think I got confused cuz on my phone the icon says EasyQuitDrinking,it has a little cartoon guy kicking a bottle in half
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    It's the end of the month but I have had a small victory. I love my craft beer and probably drink more than a case a week along with draft when eating out. Well I watched a netflix documentary called "The Magic Pill" and decided to go Keto about two weeks ago. Beer is a carb fountain so I had to give it up. I only have had one beer each weekend since. As a side benefit I feel like I am not drinking as much wine too. Scotch has zero carbs so that is my next battle.

Yes, craft beer especially is loaded with carbs and does not work for low carb or keto diets. I am also a craft beer fan, but like you I only have maybe one a week
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    "erikNJ wrote:
    You know, we kind of live in an “all or nothing” society. You really only see advice for people (with anything) who want to make a huge jump into things. And it probabaly leads to people completely giving up. You don’t see articles or videos on how to ease your way into the gym, it’s always about how you need to start working out 5 days a week and eating only healthy foods. And lots of people can’t handle such a huge swing.
    Same for drinking, there isn’t advice for people who aren’t problem drinkers and would just like to cut back. It’s either glorify over consumption, or alcohol is the devil.

And that is why sometimes, on a bad personal day, I read this group thinking it is turning to those that are only going AF. But then I think of all the support I have received and I know better.

This struck a chord with me. I participated in Dry January and then did some of Feb (different account). I bowed out after a while because I felt the tone was driven in the direction of demonizing alcohol I realize for some moderation is not an option. However, in real life, for many (perhaps even most) it is very doable and for all but 1 person I know - preferable. Just yesterday I happened to have been at a new craft brewery yesterday with 4 other really good friends. In total we consumed 3 beers. Not each - but total. The other 2 were not in the mood and had water and enjoyed the food.

I am considering joining August as a personal desire to be AF for the next handful of weeks. As I was by the end of this past December, I'm sick of the taste again. However, I now eagerly await the Oktoberfest beers that will be released and can't wait to enjoy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    "erikNJ wrote:
    You know, we kind of live in an “all or nothing” society. You really only see advice for people (with anything) who want to make a huge jump into things. And it probabaly leads to people completely giving up. You don’t see articles or videos on how to ease your way into the gym, it’s always about how you need to start working out 5 days a week and eating only healthy foods. And lots of people can’t handle such a huge swing.
    Same for drinking, there isn’t advice for people who aren’t problem drinkers and would just like to cut back. It’s either glorify over consumption, or alcohol is the devil.

And that is why sometimes, on a bad personal day, I read this group thinking it is turning to those that are only going AF. But then I think of all the support I have received and I know better.

This struck a chord with me. I participated in Dry January and then did some of Feb (different account). I bowed out after a while because I felt the tone was driven in the direction of demonizing alcohol I realize for some moderation is not an option. However, in real life, for many (perhaps even most) it is very doable and for all but 1 person I know - preferable. Just yesterday I happened to have been at a new craft brewery yesterday with 4 other really good friends. In total we consumed 3 beers. Not each - but total. The other 2 were not in the mood and had water and enjoyed the food.

I am considering joining August as a personal desire to be AF for the next handful of weeks. As I was by the end of this past December, I'm sick of the taste again. However, I now eagerly await the Oktoberfest beers that will be released and can't wait to enjoy.

I hope you will join the August group. As we've discussed here in this thread and the recent posts - the group really does want to adapt a culture that is amenable to whatever your individual tolerance and goals are. I've been encouraged time and again by the active members in this group to keep sharing my thoughts around "mindful moderation" and will try to do so, and am going to try to dig up some resources for those who want to cut back but not abstain fully. I think fall and winter months will actually be a little easier for my goals - it's summer months with barbecues and pool time and vacations that make it more challenging for me!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    "erikNJ wrote:

I bowed out after a while because I felt the tone was driven in the direction of demonizing alcohol

Yes, that is the struggle. Sometimes coming here for support, or to lend support, and all you read are posts about how you are poisoning yourself can be difficult.

But like @WinoGelato said, people often guide us to keep posting our stories cause there are those that benefit by reading it. And a lot of people read this but don’t post. So maybe we can help that person out.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I hope you will join the August group. As we've discussed here in this thread and the recent posts - the group really does want to adapt a culture that is amenable to whatever your individual tolerance and goals are. I've been encouraged time and again by the active members in this group to keep sharing my thoughts around "mindful moderation" and will try to do so, and am going to try to dig up some resources for those who want to cut back but not abstain fully. I think fall and winter months will actually be a little easier for my goals - it's summer months with barbecues and pool time and vacations that make it more challenging for me!
    "erikNJ wrote:
    Yes, that is the struggle. Sometimes coming here for support, or to lend support, and all you read are posts about how you are poisoning yourself can be difficult.
    But like @WinoGelato said, people often guide us to keep posting our stories cause there are those that benefit by reading it. And a lot of people read this but don’t post. So maybe we can help that person out.

Thanks both. Perhaps...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Hey Less Alcohol fam, checking in. I don't think I've posted since March, but I have been popping in from time to time to see how everyone else is keeping.

I guess the quickest update is that my step-dad fell ill on the night of Easter, was sent home with hospice care that Tuesday, and passed away the following Saturday. Everything has been a train wreck since. My mother (who had already been divorced from him for a year at that point, and had pretty much removed herself from our lives because we "took his side"...she was cheating on him) is making everything as difficult as possible (we're honoring his will and wishes, she thinks she's entitled to everything), so we're currently communicating via lawyers. Needless to say, I fell off the wagon ages ago, it's backed over me a few times, maybe even parked there once or twice.

I'd really like to get control of my alcohol consumption again. I'm hoping by becoming more active on here, maybe it will be possible. I don't think quitting completely is within sight right now (or if that's even what I want), but I would like to be able to at least stop after 2 drinks again. I think I had 10 beers yesterday. I didn't feel too hot this morning and overslept. I did, however, make myself do a shortened version of my morning workout, and a 1 mile run instead of my normal 3. Baby steps, one day at a time.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, losing a family member is so difficult and can be such a trigger. Definitely focus on baby steps and be proud of every small step you take! A run when you are feeling rough really shows commitment!
  • Ksandoval0401
    Ksandoval0401 Posts: 15 Member
    Made it through the weekend camping trip AF. Saturday night, instead of alcohol calories, we enjoyed some "organic" Smores by the campfire! It was a very worthwhile swap and my husband and I both enjoyed the weekend so much more.

Great work!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I think this is a reason to post more not less. If people who moderate all stay quiet there is little doubt that the discussion will always be about abstinence. I am not that concerned about the posts that demonize alcohol. Just because it is wrong for someone else doesn't make it wrong for me. My primary concern has always been posting anything that might serve as a temptation to someone who is struggling to get AF.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member

I have Easyquitdrinking too but I'm in Las Vegas so I think it's everywhere,I found it in the play store for android,it also has a feature for just cutting back,,I am happy to report that I made it through my trip back home without drinking,,didn't even want to,hubs was,mom was,SIL was but I just didn't care,,thinking about the "tomorrow me"and the thought of a hangover while in the car the next day,roasting my buns off sweating just didn't sound to great so I passed[/quote]

It's not on Google Play now. Our IT person even double-checked for me. Edited to add: Can you have a look at it on your phone?

It must have changed its name. [/quote]

It says Easy Quit stop drinking sobriety counter,I think I got confused cuz on my phone the icon says EasyQuitDrinking,it has a little cartoon guy kicking a bottle in half[/quote]
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):wink:

***** I messed up the quote AGAIN...LOL...I have many other redeeming qualities*****

I went to playstore & entered easyquitdrinking & the app appeared, so I'm not sure what the issue is...yes it says Easyquitdrinking sobriety counter, but that is what we've been looking for is it not??? Now I'm confused. Anyway, that is what I was referring to as an aid to keeping track of days AF, $$ saved, drinks passed & it also keeps track of where your body is at re: benefits from being AF & other features....
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member

I have Easyquitdrinking too but I'm in Las Vegas so I think it's everywhere,I found it in the play store for android,it also has a feature for just cutting back,,I am happy to report that I made it through my trip back home without drinking,,didn't even want to,hubs was,mom was,SIL was but I just didn't care,,thinking about the "tomorrow me"and the thought of a hangover while in the car the next day,roasting my buns off sweating just didn't sound to great so I passed

It must have changed its name. [/quote]

It says Easy Quit stop drinking sobriety counter,I think I got confused cuz on my phone the icon says EasyQuitDrinking,it has a little cartoon guy kicking a bottle in half[/quote]
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):wink:

***** I messed up the quote AGAIN...LOL...I have many other redeeming qualities*****

I went to playstore & entered easyquitdrinking & the app appeared, so I'm not sure what the issue is...yes it says Easyquitdrinking sobriety counter, but that is what we've been looking for is it not??? Now I'm confused. Anyway, that is what I was referring to as an aid to keeping track of days AF, $$ saved, drinks passed & it also keeps track of where your body is at re: benefits from being AF & other features....[/quote]

yeah that's it! I like how you can see the money saved and where your health has improved
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 590 Member
    ErynVee wrote: »
    Happy Monday, all!

Had a headache for two days after indulging on Friday. Did go out Saturday, but I stuck with my water all night. When July is over, I'll have had 22 AF days this month. This is HUGE for me, as I probably only had about 4 AF days a month prior. I am proud of my progress and definitely feeling so much better without it.

I hope everyone has a great start to their week!

Wow 22 days AF
    Huge, Huge, Huge
    Well done you