WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)<3B)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    My mom never wore any jewelry except for her wedding ring set and a watch my Grandparents bought for her. My brother and I bought her a family ring in the 90's and then a few years before my Dad died he bought her a diamond pendant necklace. These will be the only jewelry items I inherit from my Mom.

My Grandmother though was a great jewelry person, she also had jewelry from her Aunts, Mother, MIL and such. When I was a teen she gave me a ring I admired that had 3 opals and 4 little pearls in it. I lost a pearl out of it, a few years later and it was going to be a costly fix I didn't enjoy the ring as much as I once had so didn't do it. I talked to my Grandmother about it and said I had an idea to have a necklace and earring set made out of the stones I had left. She thought this was a grand idea and decided to give me some gold jewelry to help with the costs. Unfortunately, she told me the story of all of the jewelry she gave me. My Great Grandmother's wedding band, a ring from the army my grandfather had. Her original diamond setting, she had had the diamond reset in a new setting when I was a teen. Her baby ring, a signet ring she bought herself for 25 cents her first year picking potatoes for a job when she was 12. Needless to say when she told me the stories the jewelry meant more to me, so I still have all of these rings in my jewelry box! I never did get that necklace and earring set made.

I now have my Grandmother's wedding ring set. A couple of years ago I did get it resized so that I could wear it. I used the gold from the wedding band and her original diamond setting to give more gold for the jeweler to use to make the diamond bigger for me. I have thought about taking all of the other gold and having a teardrop pendant made. I could just remember the stories of where it all came from. I should really get on that.
    I have a lot of her brooches and beads and costume jewelry that I have separated out and am planning on making jewelry pictures for my girls and I with them. I have everything bought, just need to do it.

Rebecca - hope you DH is doing better today
    Machka /b] - I have curly hair too, some days it's just a frizzy mess
    Kelly - that must have been so much fun shopping
    Barbie - Feel better soon
    Janet - Beautiful ornament
    Kylia - Nice car

I know there is more and I didn't make a list! I can't remember who, but I really enjoyed the pics of the gardens and area the farmer had created.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • rdonnini
    rdonnini Posts: 4 Member
    I will be ready to join you in August.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Good going Cheri! :flowerforyou: You have worked really hard. <3

Today I cooked my first octopus. :D I have never cooked one before, though it is my favourite food to eat out.
    I bought one from the local fishmonger, who had to dig around in his deep chest freezer to find it.
    I just put it, still frozen, with liquid, into the IP and pressed 12 minutes. Perfect!
    Just now I cut the head off as I'm too lazy to clean it and just used the tentacles. They are marinating in the fridge in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, oregano and a few drops of smoke liquid.
    Don’t know how I'm going to serve them, but I'll think of something!
    The head I've frozen as I don't want to stink the garbage out for two weeks until the next collection. :noway:
    I have a conflicted relationship with octopus as I have read several books about the fascinating creatures. Very intelligent. I always say I'm going to stop eating them, but it doesn't happen. They could be part of my last ever meal on earth.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    Meg--I love the goat story.

Was I do to make my life easier is have a lady that comes in everyother Tuesday and does all the dusty, cleans the bathroom and kitchen floors and vacumns. I do little things between. Once in awhile I will get in the cleaning mood and do more. But enjoy not having to dust.

Margaret--I enjoy the pictures and enjoy getting to see pieces of different lives. Please do not stop posting them.

Rebecca--Sending prayers and hugs. Great news that it is not the liver.

Re--Sorry for the loss of your mother. It is not easy and never expected.
    Heather--The hedge looks very nice and best part it is done and can be checked off your to do list.

Janetr--Beautiful!

Out of time. Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Hi Sisters,

Katla, I am very sensitive to moods as well and it used to upset my applecart completely if I knew someone was angry with me. I have slowly learned that you can't control someone's feelings. If they choose to be angry, that is their freedom to do so. When The Bad Thing happened in my life, my husband was very very angry with me. For no reason! I had done nothing wrong to deserve it and I knew it was his problem, not mine. Men often choose to feel anger, rather than another emotion, as it is the one they are most comfortable with feeling. It is easy to feel anger back when someone is unjustly angry with you. But that road leads only to escalated anger. I chose to feel love and forgiveness and that has been the right road for me.

Kelly, last night I figured out why my progress with Clair has been so slow. I was playing the wrong notes with the left hand! No wonder they would not stick in my head and didn't sound right. I thought it was because my piano was out of tune...but I finally noticed that in the first two lines of notes there is not a cleft symbol (I think that is the right word-I'm not that technical) but a treble...so now I need to refigure out what notes to hit with my left hand!

Rye, you have inspired me to pull out my Sony 200 camera again and try to get it working and buy the right lense for it so I can do my blurred background pics of my horses. I had to fix my card reader yesterday as the pins were bent and then the card came up as corrupted, so I tried a spare one that I found and it worked...I took some pics yesterday and now I have to see if I can get them off the card onto my computer... Holding my breath!

Okay, my goal today is to reach 20,000 steps on my fitbit. I was at 12,000 yesterday just working around my land, gardening and wheelbarrowing dirt from the roundpen. I figure if I add in a walk with the dogs I can probably reach 20thou. I've got my student coming today though, so I will need to get busy early this morning.

<3 Wendy

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Yes eliminating what isn't wrong. MRI showed nothing, so that's good.👍
    So a bout of vertigo I guess I can handle. Liver being wonky, not so much. Poor guy. He had some green grapes that I brought. His broth was disgusting, I can see why he wouldn't want it. He's had a couple bites of jello. Baby steps.
    Rebecca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Evening..
    I didn't see the post about Re's mom,
    I'm so sorry to hear about her mom,been there done that..
    Found out today Dear friend of mine in Florida passed away.the last time I saw him he was happy and hanging out in the pool..he was one of the people who went to the pool every day..we had alot of good times..glad I got to.know him..
    Re-my sincerest condolences ..I sure hope your mom had her affairs in order...it's is in nerving to say the least to deal with an estate.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Thanks ladies for your nice comments. I guess working on the ornaments is like knitting and/or crocheting to others. Just calming.

Lanette I look online at pages from differ sites Etsy, Pinterest etc. But a lot of the fancier ones are simplified versions of a kit for sa!e I found online that are much too involved for me to replicate.

Thanks again <3

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Barbie - hope you can get in to see your doctor soon. Glad the meds are giving you some relief - glad Jake is able to help with dog walking and chores. I so appreciate your tips on decluttering - addressing the physical AND the mental/emotional part.

Heather - you are a girl on fire with your cleaning out and new house planning! That hedge looks great.

Rebecca
    - thank you for the update on your DH. With his vertigo - and what you've had in the past, I wonder if there's a virus going around? So grateful it's not his liver, and hopefully a run of the mill illness that is over soon.

Katla - glad you enjoyed the Skinny on Fat episodes you were able to watch. Looks like there's another free episode on tonight for 24 hours. I'll post the link as soon as they email it to me. Your miffed former neighbor might have been suffering from the heat grumpies too. Hard to tell sometimes what sets people off for no good reason. Seems like so many people these days are on medications that tend to alter their moods (or maybe should be >:) I used to want to delve into the problems when confronted with odd behavior like this but now I just do a hasty apologize and exit the premises ASAP B) . When is your next RV adventure?

Janetr - another stunning ornament! Where do you get your ideas? That apple pie your DH made sounded great. Bad boy, lol.

Carol
    - cute DGD! So neat that she is getting interested in the sport of running at an early age.

Machka - your hair is super lovely, curly or not.

So interesting hearing about those of you who have left/right problems. I've heard that a super brain strengthening exercise is to brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand. I tried it last night - I sure need more practice!

Pip
    - are you riding your bike to work in the heat today? Not so bad in the early morning. You are superwoman.

OK ladies, it's going to be another hot one here. DH is mowing - mainly dandelion blossoms as lawn is brown. My niece in Indiana is in labor right now so keeping tabs on her thru my SIL. Hope all goes well for her.

Going out to pump iron.

Keep cool ladies!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

Not today, I have. But I’ve been riding to work in the morning, I don’t want to wear myself out. When it’s this hot I don’t feel it as much as u might think cuz I’m getting a constant flow of air. It when u are at a stop sign, that’s when u start dripping
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,324 Member
    Ladies, here's the 10th episode of The Real Skinny on Fat if anyone is interested - hope the link works:

https://www.therealskinnyonfat.com/episodes/ep10fv.html

Lanette
    Cooler SW WA State