Hometown Delights

Options

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Hands down, Eastern North Carolina BBQ (vinegar based) is the best but my other local favorite is Chicken Pastry:
    gbm8qplmt5ok.jpg

Isn't that just Chicken and Dumplings?

Kind of looks like it, but C&D usually has more sauce and may have veggies (I like peas, but usually have to mix them from a side dish as others don't like them).
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

southern-pear.jpg?itok=1mXwhSo4

dafuqqqqqq lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Hands down, Eastern North Carolina BBQ (vinegar based) is the best but my other local favorite is Chicken Pastry:
    gbm8qplmt5ok.jpg

Isn't that just Chicken and Dumplings?

Could be :) but Chicken Pastry here in Eastern NC.

Our Chicken and Dumplings in PA were similar to what @carvedtone suggests-a more soup like base with vegetables. Our dumplings were more round and similar to matzo balls but not matzo.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Washington state Penn Cove mussels
  • julie_bee_123
    julie_bee_123 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Kansas - Chili and cinnamon rolls! I didn't realize until the last year or two that was a midwestern thing, and other people are confused by it. It was a school lunch staple when I was a kid. Now that I know it's special to my area I appreciate it even more.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and live not far from the supposed birthplace of the battered Mars bar - a deliciously melty, chocolatey delight!
    epzjyq2valwx.png
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the lettuce merely for garnish? You don't actually eat it do you?
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Finally, Poutine. When my sister was in college she lived in Trois Rivieres, Quebec. I went up to visit and we went out to eat. She got poutine for us, and when the waitress brought it to the table, she set it down and said something that loosely translated to "eat it before it sets" since once it cools off it pretty much congeals... yikes.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    I'm from Scotland and live not far from the supposed birthplace of the battered Mars bar - a deliciously melty, chocolatey delight!
    epzjyq2valwx.png

I'm frankly shocked this isn't an American concoction! :lol:
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Huevos Rancheros in New Mexico...

Two eggs (usually fried), potato, pinto beans over a tortilla and smothered with red or green chile and cheese...I prefer red for Huevos.

ven12_ja_19june_eats-640x586.jpg

I usually have this for Sunday brunch at Casa de Benevidez once every couple of months.

At least once a week! Yummy huevos!
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Um, I'm a Cajun from southeast Louisiana and have NEVER heard of that. Must be a north Louisiana thing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    DeshotelK wrote: »

Um, I'm a Cajun from southeast Louisiana and have NEVER heard of that. Must be a north Louisiana thing.

Nope. South Central Cajun here too. It was a regular at our dinner table. I think it's more of a "southern" thing than an LA thing though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the lettuce merely for garnish? You don't actually eat it do you?

I haven't had it since I was a kid, but I remember eating the pear juice covered lettuce.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I live in Kansas City and I guess I would say bbq burnt ends?? It’s not weird though... my husband is always wanting burnt ends when we get bbq anywhere out of town and I have to keep telling him I think that’s a Kansas City thing??

I just got back from Springfield MO and went to this god awful “Mexican” restaurant. I was so appalled at the slop they served me. I love Mexican food though (real Mexican food). Apparently this restaurant is one of Springfield’s delicacy’s because everyone there loves this place. Yuck. I am almost offended they call that Mexican lmao
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I live in Kansas City and I guess I would say bbq burnt ends?? It’s not weird though... my husband is always wanting burnt ends when we get bbq anywhere out of town and I have to keep telling him I think that’s a Kansas City thing??

I just got back from Springfield MO and went to this god awful “Mexican” restaurant. I was so appalled at the slop they served me. I love Mexican food though (real Mexican food). Apparently this restaurant is one of Springfield’s delicacy’s because everyone there loves this place. Yuck. I am almost offended they call that Mexican lmao

we've had burnt ends but mostly at strictly bbq joints. mmmm
    i've found peruvian food interesting. very influenced by other cultures
  • DeshotelK
    Options

Nope. South Central Cajun here too. It was a regular at our dinner table. I think it's more of a "southern" thing than an LA thing though.

Curiosity is genuinely piqued now. What town are you from?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Sunset. In between Lafayette and Opelousas. My mother's family is from Berwick/Morgan City.

Sunset. In between Lafayette and Opelousas. My mother's family is from Berwick/Morgan City.
  • DeshotelK
    Options

My in-laws from Richard/Church Point never heard of it. The in-laws from Morgan City haven't either. I'm from Thibodaux. I'm trying it though! Will see if I've found something new to share. LOL
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I haven't had it since I was a kid, but I remember eating the pear juice covered lettuce.

I grew up eating this in Florida, too. However, it was never on lettuce as that was too healthy and we didn't add the cherry. Our salad dressing was mayo. Not that Miracle Whip crap. Real mayo mixed with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Our town is relatively new ... An oil town of sorts, with military types thrown in. People here queue for homemade Texas style pumkin pie, Southern Crack pie, Southern Vanilla Chess pie, PA bean pie which had to be sold first come, first served, with a limit of 2 orders per person only. These are tiny one serving pies. The only other thing people go gah-gah for is the California tray Italian Ice - pineapple, guava, watermelon, mango or cherry.

Here's a melting version I'd had @over 111°F.
    33bfp8h.jpg