Hometown Delights

1234568»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

southern-pear.jpg?itok=1mXwhSo4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the lettuce merely for garnish? You don't actually eat it do you?

We always ate it. The cheese, mayo, pear and crunchy lettuce akk stacked together in one bite. The cherry, I picked of the top and ate by itself.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    DeshotelK wrote: »
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

Um, I'm a Cajun from southeast Louisiana and have NEVER heard of that. Must be a north Louisiana thing.

In Birmingham AL, where both sets of my grandparents lived (and where I was born) it was definitely a thing 40 years ago. I had it less in Atlanta, but I had it there also. But that was within the family, transplanted from Birmingham.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    DeshotelK wrote: »

Um, I'm a Cajun from southeast Louisiana and have NEVER heard of that. Must be a north Louisiana thing.

In Birmingham AL, where both sets of my grandparents lived (and where I was born) it was definitely a thing 40 years ago. I had it less in Atlanta, but I had it there also. But that was within the family, transplanted from Birmingham.

I've done some asking around and I found two older people who have heard of it, but never had it here. One other says her grandmother actually does make it. She's from north Louisiana.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    This looks like what we made but we used cream cheese mixed up with some of the pear juice instead of mayo (which in our house was Miracle Whip) I always hated "mayo" until I discovered what real mayo actually tasted like.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I'm in eastern NM and we have a local place here that serves a green chili peanut butter burger. It sounds disgusting but it's actually REALLY good.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    avskk wrote: »
    I'm in eastern NM and we have a local place here that serves a green chili peanut butter burger. It sounds disgusting but it's actually REALLY good.

I need this in my life.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    I enjoy reading about all this regional food. Each place I visit I want to know what is the local favorite.
    I posted the names of my home town's regional foods but not pictures so....

Chicken Riggies:
    Chicken, rigatoni, hot or sweet peppers in a spicy cream and tomato sauce. There are also sausage, veal and beef versions. If you say "riggies" people think you mean chicken riggies.
    8ykhwo083cp4.jpg

Utica Greens:
    An Italian American dish made of hot or sweet peppers, sauteed greens, chicken stock or broth, escarole, cheese, pecorino, bread crumbs and prosciutto.
    79lghk3v5du5.jpg

Tomato Pie
    A thick, porous, focaccia-like dough covered with thick tomato sauce. It may be sprinkled with romano cheese and oregano.
    9dc5h3djccjg.jpeg

There are contests and arguments over which restaurant makes the best version of each of these.
    I don't see what the big deal is about the first two, they are good but I don't go nuts for them the way the locals do.
    I do enjoy tomato pie and DON'T say it is "kinda like pizza?" It is, but people get upset if you say that.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I live in Kansas City and I guess I would say bbq burnt ends?? It’s not weird though... my husband is always wanting burnt ends when we get bbq anywhere out of town and I have to keep telling him I think that’s a Kansas City thing??

I just got back from Springfield MO and went to this god awful “Mexican” restaurant. I was so appalled at the slop they served me. I love Mexican food though (real Mexican food). Apparently this restaurant is one of Springfield’s delicacy’s because everyone there loves this place. Yuck. I am almost offended they call that Mexican lmao

we've had burnt ends but mostly at strictly bbq joints. mmmm
    i've found peruvian food interesting. very influenced by other cultures

We like to go to BBQ places in other parts of the country, just for comparison purposes (to see who's is better) and so far in Ft Worth and in Charlotte, NC the BBQ places we went to did not have burnt ends. Burnt ends is like a staple here in Kansas City BBQ restaurants. It's the only thing we order lol.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I live in Kansas City and I guess I would say bbq burnt ends?? It’s not weird though... my husband is always wanting burnt ends when we get bbq anywhere out of town and I have to keep telling him I think that’s a Kansas City thing??

I just got back from Springfield MO and went to this god awful “Mexican” restaurant. I was so appalled at the slop they served me. I love Mexican food though (real Mexican food). Apparently this restaurant is one of Springfield’s delicacy’s because everyone there loves this place. Yuck. I am almost offended they call that Mexican lmao

we've had burnt ends but mostly at strictly bbq joints. mmmm
    i've found peruvian food interesting. very influenced by other cultures

We like to go to BBQ places in other parts of the country, just for comparison purposes (to see who's is better) and so far in Ft Worth and in Charlotte, NC the BBQ places we went to did not have burnt ends. Burnt ends is like a staple here in Kansas City BBQ restaurants. It's the only thing we order lol.

In North Carolina I will guess your "burnt ends" are what we refer to as "bark". I've not seen it served separate most likely because everyone (well most people) want that delicious Bark. :)
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    Saw THIS ARTICLE the other day, it is a book of hometown foods from around the country. This article features the two items from my post, my hometown's Chicken Riggies, and Utica Greens. The book has other recipes.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Pho is big here!
    But the boiling crab!!! :D Shrimp cooked in different sauces and poured into a sack! Eaten with your hands on butcher paper.....yum!
    Here in California, home town foods change every year!