Increase Reps for Better Gains?

2»

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    I just did the math on the body weight ratios too. Maybe I'm not doing so bad either. I'm three weeks into the SS program, and I'm 46, 5'6", and weigh 112 lbs. My bf is around 19%. Squats- 85 lbs or 76%, bench 65 lbs or 58%, OHP 40 lbs or 35%, and dead lift 100 lbs or 89%. These are my work set weights (3x5).

ETA: I think I'm not allowing enough time between sets, I'm going to focus on that more tomorrow. Thanks BB so much!
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Okay--for a 5'5" person, you are pretty light, so your gains will be limited by the low LBM (even if your bf% is low, you do not have very much LBM in absolute terms). So something you could try is increase the amount you eat, in increments of 100 kcal/week, and see if your lifts improve. A TDEE calculator will not always get things right, or usually, even. Especially for someone who is doing strength training. I would rest longer between sets--if you can do two sets but fail on a third, that could be a rest issue.

I really don't want to have to put any weight back on in order to increase my strength. Have you seen this article? http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/ - seems to suggest that it's not really necessary for beginners and intermediates.
    Oh, one more question. Can you describe exactly what your general warm-up looks like, and what weights you use for your warm-ups on all these lifts?

Sure! For squats, I do the bar for 2 sets of 5, 60 lbs for 1 set of 3-5, and 75 lbs for 1 set of 3-5. Then I'm at my work weight. My goal is to practice my form, get accustomed to the increasing weight, but not to tire myself out on it.

Jay, thanks for the link. I've been interested in Nia's program and may give it a try at some point.