Sorry, how many servings per packet?

12346»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I seem to recall making a complaint to a company, I no longer recall which, about the ludicrous serving sizes that weren't reality, and got some trash answer about how the government (USDA or FDA, forgot which they tried to claim) has set the serving size for certain foods so that's what they have to use, regardless of how it's packaged.

I think that was an artful dodge by a bored customer service rep who heard that complaint too many times.

Granted on ice cream, its most always a half-cup, but on cereal you'll see half cup, 3/4 cup, 1/4, and who knows what else they might like to say. I think on things like candy bars they set whatever serving size is going to be sound low calorie! Normally folks do not buy a regular sized candy bar and expect it to be two or more servings! Youre planning to eat the dang thing! (When i did serious sugar restriction back when i was uninformed about weight loss however I did plan to eat like 2 squares of of a Dove bar at a time, but that is definitely not normal. Also definitely not sustainable for me. I regained it ALL.)

The heavier the cereal, the less amount they say of course. The only cereal (that I eat) that I find to give a decent amount for the grams allowed as a serving is currently Multigrain Cheerios (of which i usually buy the house brand copy for half the price). 29 grams of cheerios (probably all of them, I just like the multigrain ones better) is actually quite a decent bowl, because those things are tiny and very light!

Then again Im accustomed to 1200-1300 calorie days because Im only 5 foot 3 and well lets just say getting on in years. :)

If you want action you need to bypass customer service and go directly to the VP of Sales/Marketing - easily found on yahoo/google finance. Not saying you'll be successful, but you stand a better chance of making a change.

Their comment regarding FDA/USDA is absolutely correct. Same with pharmaceuticals and dosages. All activity and changes are monitored and approved by the regulatory authority.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Microwave rice is meant to be 2 portions a packet @ around 200 cals per portion. Seems quite low in calories but its a tiny portion for one person. Ok if your having chips with it though or a tonne of veg.

who has chips and rice? I just have the whole packet
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Microwave rice is meant to be 2 portions a packet @ around 200 cals per portion. Seems quite low in calories but its a tiny portion for one person. Ok if your having chips with it though or a tonne of veg.

who has chips and rice? I just have the whole packet

Sometimes I have rice and chips with curry. It's lovely what's wrong with that? I also have the whole packet but my point was it's a tiny portion for 2 people so I bulk it out with some chips 😁
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Or fries if your American