Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

BMI - agree or disagree?

1111213141517»

Replies

• TacklewasherTacklewasher Posts: 6,666Member Member Posts: 6,666Member Member
    I think I've finally come up with a good parallel for this discussion. BMI is like a recipe. For an average person in an average kitchen in an average environment with average ingredients, it is a good guideline. For someone in a humid environment, or in a higher elevation, or with ingredients that may be lesser quality, or tools that may not work as well as average, the recipe may not work. Lots of adjustments may be needed.

I have a friend. If he is at the center of the BMI for someone his height he looks obese. For me, I look anorexic. There are physical ways to measure your true BMI that are accurate, but calculation is only a guideline, not gospel.

This still seems to ignore that it's not an individual measure, but a statistic based on populations.

More like making breakfast for 10,000 people vs what I would like this morning.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 8,878Member Member Posts: 8,878Member Member
    I think I've finally come up with a good parallel for this discussion. BMI is like a recipe. For an average person in an average kitchen in an average environment with average ingredients, it is a good guideline. For someone in a humid environment, or in a higher elevation, or with ingredients that may be lesser quality, or tools that may not work as well as average, the recipe may not work. Lots of adjustments may be needed.

I have a friend. If he is at the center of the BMI for someone his height he looks obese. For me, I look anorexic. There are physical ways to measure your true BMI that are accurate, but calculation is only a guideline, not gospel.

This still seems to ignore that it's not an individual measure, but a statistic based on populations.

Well, it's also somewhat useful as a screener for individuals: To see who's mostly likely to need a closer look.

Which is like making breakfast for 10,000 people, assuming that most of them will like bacon and/or eggs all right enough, but asking if there are any vegans in the bunch. ;)
  • tbright1965tbright1965 Posts: 691Member, Premium Member Posts: 691Member, Premium Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Well, it's also somewhat useful as a screener for individuals: To see who's mostly likely to need a closer look.

Which is like making breakfast for 10,000 people, assuming that most of them will like bacon and/or eggs all right enough, but asking if there are any vegans in the bunch. ;)

I thought you didn't need to ask if there are vegans....

cuz they will be sure to tell you :)

(Kinda loses the effect since I think I have to explain it and point out I'm just making a joke).

The worst are vegan crossfitters...