Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

BMI - agree or disagree?

Replies

• Pipsqueak1965Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 69Member Member Posts: 69Member Member
    Its just a rough guide - obviously there are people it doesn't fit ... and the reason there are more men outliers than women is that it is a lot harder for women to build muscle than men. There are obviously more outliers on a fitness forum than in the general population - doh. But you know what - there are outliers everywhere - I'm really small so most clothes don't fit me. It'd be pretty dumb of me to say that 'clothes sizes are stupid' though - because most people are bigger than me.
  • Pipsqueak1965Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 69Member Member Posts: 69Member Member
    And yeah - I have seen a lot of photos on this forum of people with stated body fat percentages way below what they actually are. Those scales that are supposed to measure body fat tend to be way way out - a few years back I was caliper measured correctly as 25% - the scales gave me 16% the same week! So yes - there are a lot of people telling themselves they are outliers.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Posts: 4,117Member Member Posts: 4,117Member Member
    Its just a rough guide - obviously there are people it doesn't fit ... and the reason there are more men outliers than women is that it is a lot harder for women to build muscle than men. There are obviously more outliers on a fitness forum than in the general population - doh. But you know what - there are outliers everywhere - I'm really small so most clothes don't fit me. It'd be pretty dumb of me to say that 'clothes sizes are stupid' though - because most people are bigger than me.

No that doesn't mean more men are outliers than women - it means the appropriate range needs to be seen in individual context.
    It is also a range not an exact figure - so healthy petite framed women still fit in lower end of range, healthy muscular men still fit at upper end of range or just beyond - up to about 27 as I said earlier.

None of this means people don't fit - most people are not outliers. Being at the upper or lower end of a range is not being an outlier.
    And those who are outliers is usually obvious why - and that just isn't most people.

• AnvilHeadAnvilHead Posts: 17,625Member Member Posts: 17,625Member Member
    JDMac82 wrote: »
    6ft1 200lbs and my BMI is 26 = OBESE according to the charts.

1) Overweight, not obese.

2) What's your body fat percentage?
  • johnslater461johnslater461 Posts: 298Member Member Posts: 298Member Member
    JDMac82 wrote: »
    kfayrh1ps0wt.gif

6ft1 200lbs and my BMI is 26 = OBESE according to the charts.

You are almost 30 lbs away from obese bu BMI standards.
  • johnslater461johnslater461 Posts: 298Member Member Posts: 298Member Member

Are you claiming that because fat distribution can be a risk factor, then BMI isn't?

• PackerjohnPackerjohn Posts: 4,613Member Member Posts: 4,613Member Member

Normal BMI + big belly = Skinny Fat

Don't remember reading anywhere that is good for you.
  • JDMac82JDMac82 Posts: 1,464Member Member Posts: 1,464Member Member
    My bad I was distracted yesterday and read the chart wrong. 26 BMI = Overweight NOT OBESE. My apologies everyone.

Well last time I checked it was 16% for Body Fat.
  • stevencloserstevencloser Posts: 8,917Member Member Posts: 8,917Member Member
    Of course it's not good to have a big belly! What's your point? The Obesity Paradox that I was referring to is more specific, but I couldn't paste the link on my phone (Tech challenged on Android):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18585492/

That's the one that has been debunked. Because apparently they forgot to factor in that a ton of deadly medical conditions have the little side effect of massive weight loss.
  • timeforworktimeforwork Posts: 87Member Member Posts: 87Member Member
    The bmi scale has a fairly large range of weight for each category so for me it's from just over 7 stone to just under 10 stone. If I'm smack in the middle at 8 and a half I may be too big with a lot of body fat or I may look too small but if I was to go up or down by 1 and a half stone I'm sure I'd be pretty close to healthy. ( I'm now only 6 lb away from leaving the obese and reaching overweight!) Everyone needs to be their own judge but I do believe it should be flagged up during health checks and if someone is outside of healthy more checks including measurements and bf % should be recommended. It is a big shock the first time someone dares to call you fat even if it's a young child ( and I imagine the same for being called under weight) and it could be enough of a wake up call to make small improvements yo improve health.